Hope this happens

I hope it doesn't...lol.

It will make the SLC seem a bit more "normal"

Is that not one of the reasons you got an SLC,,,, to stand out of the crowd?

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
"Expect GM to be SELECTIVE among Chevy stores AUTHORIZED TO SELL AND SERVICE a mid-engine Corvette. The company will select dealers based on the familiar metrics of location, sales volume, relationship, quality of facilities, and customer service record. Ultimately, THE PRODUCTION QUANTITY WILL BE SO LOW that neither the Chevy badge, nor the Chevy retail experience will prevent them from selling out."

Translation: We can expect a "dealer premium"/"dealer markup"/"dealer gouge"/"second sticker" that will be out of this world.

Cars like the SL-C, GTR, and GT40s could see an 'uptick' in sales here in the U.S. as a result of this GM strategy in combination with Ford's $400K, 250-cars-per-year-over-four-years, 'only-current-owners-need-apply' availability on their new Ford GT. That "uptick" might be especially true in the case of GT40s given the fact that factory sales of 'turn-key replicas' has recently been 'given the nod' by the feds.

If, like the new Ford GT, the mid-engine 'Vette turns out to be TT V6 powered (whether done for the same reasons [Le Mans racing for one] or not), the fact the car isn't V8 powered could/might well 'be an issue' for many Corvette buyers to the point where they'd 'pass' on the car no matter what its price. Regardless, there's no doubt GM will sell every one they make 'just because'...so GM obviously couldn't care less.

I'm second in line for a mid-engine 'Vette at a very l-a-r-g-e dealership in the mid-west. It very likely will be one of the dealers "selected" to sell the new car. Regardless, if the car does turn out to be TT V6 powered, I'll be one of those who'll be 'passing' on it.

IMHO, V6s are fine for daily drivers...but, for six-figure-plus mid-engine cars, not so much. That's V8, V10, V12, V16 territory 'by definition' in my 'narrow-minded' view. I don't care how much h.p./torque a high tech, 'wave-of-the-future-by-government-mandate', TT V6 may produce...it's still a V6...and it sounds like one.

'Us' old people are set in our ways...;)

if the car does turn out to be TT V6 powered, I'll be one of those who'll be 'passing' on it.

IMHO, V6s are fine for daily drivers...but, for six-figure-plus mid-engine cars, not so much. That's V8, V10, V12, V16 territory 'by definition' in my 'narrow-minded' view. I don't care how much h.p./torque a high tech, 'wave-of-the-future-by-government-mandate', TT V6 may produce...it's still a V6...and it sounds like one.
Personally, I love turbo cars - that kick in the back as boost builds is quite addictive. I've never liked the 'bag of nails' LS OHV noise that some exhausts seem to allow. A V6 would be OHC, which is just right :).

There is an upside to it being a turbo, in that it they typically develop more peak torque for the same peak power as a N/A engine, so will need a stronger transaxle. That's good news for those that want to put the transaxle in other cars.

Back