How much is too much?

You will find most tracks will require only 3rd and 4th with some occasional 5th to finish the long straight if there is one.

---I agree with Howard, a local track, Cresson, is 1.8mi and the SLC runs it best 3rd gear...and only 3rd. But, then the Ricardo has a 3.3 final drive. At eagles canyon, a 2.7 mi track, you've gotta hit the apex just right to need 5th. otherwise 3rd and 4th all day. You certainly arent jacking with the gearbox.

I think Howard is right on with an entry level build to be able to retain your $. Drive it for a while and see if you need to upgrade to SC/Turbo, etc. It's a different, brutal drive, you might find its hits the mark.

The problem of selling it is; where do you got from here? Get a z06 or f430 = road sponge. $9k maintenace for a front seal. Hmm, i paid $138.42 for the tools.

A car with high torque, no bushings, no motor mounts is hard to replicate. The torque goes straight to your head/spine. Huh, I need to save up $1.5 mil for a Zonda.

Could you explain further? I'm slow this morning...

JR

I think you need to add the next sentence. I think he is saying with the performance of the SLC if you sell it the only other thing you are going to get with that level is to drop 1.5 on a Zonda as a Z06 or F430 isn't going to do it for you anymore

I got that part but the "road sponge" comment was bewildering. Spongy handling or soaking up money sponge? $9K maintenance for a front seal on a Z06? Or is that only the F430? $138.42 (a pretty exact number) for what tools? Or was that tongue-in-cheek?

JR

Ok, i had a few cold ones. I was tryig to say the handling in a z06 or a f430 is dissappointing oncv eyou get used to the SLC and how flat it is. there is very little body roll.

Ops, my comment on repair was a little brief. I had an A/C belt fly off and yank my front main seal out. I replaced it w/out pulling the engine for $183 worth in tools. For grins, I priced that same repair at the Chevy dealer and it was around $8700 for a vette.

With my SL-C delivery getting closer, I wondering if I'm going to have the discipline to stick to my budget and be able to say its time to stop and be content with a nicely appointed finished car at a realistic recoup-able price? Or will I shoot for perfection and attempt to do an exquisite car at a realistic non-recoup-able price?
Jim

I've definitely gone over my original budget. I'm also pretty sure I'll take a loss on my car if and when I decide to sell it. But...I'd much rather take a huge bath on a car that was built exactly the way I wanted, and gave me tons of enjoyment...than take a slightly smaller loss on a car that I compromised on.

That being said...I think we'll all have cars worth 70-100K. Maybe more or less, but that's all I'm expecting. And I'm positive the SLC can be built at zero loss...maybe even a profit...just not in my garage ;)

I know this isn't the most popular thing to say, but I was pretty happy the red car sold for $95K. I know a lot of us think it should've gone for more...but remember...it could've sold for $50K. How bummed would we be then!

If you build this car, and drive it for 3 years, and then get 50% of your cost back, I think most people would be disappointed. However, that's standard depreciation with most production cars. Getting more than that is probably possible, but I would use 50% as a starting point and manage your expectations accordingly, rather than starting at 100% of your cost.

If you build this car, and drive it for 3 years, and then get 50% of your cost back, I think most people would be disappointed. However, that's standard depreciation with most production cars. Getting more than that is probably possible, but I would use 50% as a starting point and manage your expectations accordingly, rather than starting at 100% of your cost.

Rumor has it that the SLC has left the building....

Back