How to fill and drain a 930 transaxle?

1) Where do you FILL a 930 transaxle?

I assume my transaxle is oriented the "normal" directions, meaning the starter is on top left, and top center there is a vent.

On the LEFT side of the transaxle I have the starter (upper), a large bolt (middle) and what appears to be some type of sensor (?speedo, reverse, etc..???) beside it

930_left_zpsf92713b8.jpg

On the RIGHT side of teh transaxle I have another large bolt (middle) and some wires coming out of the transaxle

930_right_zps8916b0c2.jpg

I imagine if I undo one of these bolts I can fill the transaxle, if I undo the other really bad things will happen. Which is the fill bolt???

2)
On the underside of the transaxle there's a large hex-shaped counter-sunk plug. I assume this is the drain?

930_under_zpsf5e8f580.jpg

Alex,
If you are using this in a Porsche then the orientation is correct. The top bolt is the fill and the bolt on the bottom is the drain. If however you are going mid engine, you will have to flip the transaxel.
P1010145.jpg

The two bolts are interchangeable. This pic show the old top bolt now in the bottom hole. To get the vent you will have to install either a new bolt that has a small hole drilled in it for venting, or you will have to remove the small cover shown on the third pic just under the exhaust and tap a 1/4" hole and put a fitting and hose to an overflow bottle. That pic shows mine already installed. There are several examples on the forum of this procedure. I just put a clear tube and strapped it to my trans mount(fabricated above) and have not had the first drop of fluid through it. I solid mounted my engine and trans(absolutely no vibration). The trans is mounted by the three side bolts in the first pic next to the spray heads in the center of the pic. If you want to monitor temps then you will need a T fitting and plug one end. If you want a cooler then an AN-10 line would go there.
P1010010-1.jpg

Re routing it back to the trans will require a little though process. You can rout it to the fill hole or to the gears. Here is how I did it. this pic shows the line to the ring and pinion. The first pic above shows the lines to 2-3-4th gears(the blue fittings)
P1010215.jpg

Check to see if your trans is fitted with an internal pump. A good Porsche mechanic can assist you in that endeavor.
You will have to decide how you want to operate the slave. If your slave is internal(hydraulic), then that is what you should use.There are several good choices here on the forum as well if you are external. Here is one idea.

Clutchslavecyl.jpg

Adding a strenghtened side poate is not a bad idea as well. I opted not to.

Clutchslavecyl2.jpg

All kinds of shifter arrangements can be fabbed up, from cables to solid mount. If you need help in that area I have several pics. If you need any more help with the trans, let me know. Have lots of pics.

Bill

On the RIGHT side of teh transaxle I have another large bolt (middle) and some wires coming out of the transaxle

930_right_zps8916b0c2.jpg

FWIW, I spoke w/ Erik (Race Line; I ordered it from him when he was at gbox) and since the ring gear is flipped and the box is normal orientation, this is the fill plug in the picture

Bill, your transaxle is upside down and confusing me, turn it rightside up, haha ;)

6 years later it's time to drain and refill .... on a non-inverted 930 (i.e., normal orientation), the drain plug is the hex plug located on the very bottom of the transmission, correct?

Just want to make sure as I've never drained it before and I've read if you remove the wrong bolts then springs start falling out ( :/ )

Back