I need a critical dimension from your cars guys.

When you get a moment, I'd like to see if a few members could get me a critical space dimension from your cars.

Looking for the center distance from your current transmission output flanges, back to a max limit of where the transaxle can go before it protrudes out pas the body of the car. I'm not looking for how big your transmission is, but rather how much room ax there is between the rough flange centerline and the rear of the car.

Just ballpark within an inch or so using a tape measure. Nothing deadly accurate is needed here.

Anyone that can grab that for me would be great. Duplicates and multiple chassis feel free to post here. I'm trying to "visualize" some dimensionality of your cars for something I think you'll appreciate greatly :)

-Adam Hennessy

On mine it is about 490mm from centre of output flanges to rear of gearbox (Audi 016) and about 580mm to outside of lower part of rear clip (lower outside edge of opening for exhaust pipes).

On mine it is about 490mm from centre of output flanges to rear of gearbox (Audi 016) and about 580mm to outside of lower part of rear clip (lower outside edge of opening for exhaust pipes).

Good deal, that ~580mm dimension you got there was what I was looking for. Thanks for measuring that out for me.

Any other members that want to check it out and post here please do. Gets me a ballpark average for the cars with various drivetrains.

Centre of flange to rearmost point of ZF gearbox is 430mm / 17"

If the gearbox was moved backwards, it would move 25mm / 1" before hitting a support crossmember for the rear clip. That could be modified to clear, in which case the gearbox would then hit the lowest edge of the clip after another 25mm.

I'm not sure what your exercise is about, but don't you need some relationship between the gearbox and the chassis (or the flange centre and wheel centre) as a starting point? The gearbox in my ZF / custom bellhousing / Soarer V8 may sit at a different point (fore and aft) in the chassis to others.

Regards,

Lance

Attachments

• DSC00412 (Small).JPG
    DSC00412 (Small).JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 267
  • GT400001 (Small).jpg
    GT400001 (Small).jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 270
Looking for the center distance from your current transmission output flanges, back to a max limit of where the transaxle can go before it protrudes out pas the body of the car. I'm not looking for how big your transmission is, but rather how much room ax there is between the rough flange centerline and the rear of the car.

I'm trying to "visualize" some dimensionality of your cars for something I think you'll appreciate greatly :)

-Adam Hennessy

Looks like 'another' potential transaxle supply to me :)

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I can't give a measurement right now because my engine/transaxle are out of the car.
But.
As you can see in this picture (hope this works) from the driveline section of my website - the axle centerline of the car is forward from the centerline of the transaxle's output flanges by maybe 40mm.

This is something to take into consideration since there can be a misalignment in this plane as well as the up/down plane.

Link:
GT-Forty.com

I'm not sure what your exercise is about, but don't you need some relationship between the gearbox and the chassis (or the flange centre and wheel centre) as a starting point? The gearbox in my ZF / custom bellhousing / Soarer V8 may sit at a different point (fore and aft) in the chassis to others.

Regards,

Lance

Lance yes you are correct, however at this moment I'm just trying to get a ballpark range of where everyone's drive train seems to "float" in their chassis and what relative dimension they have. That ballpark will basically make or break this possible venture here as that dimension really dictates what can be run in the car without getting "ugly" as I like to call it.

Back