32.2 KB · Views: 344

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
HRE Performance Wheels – CARBON Series

It says on their website (above) ::

Designed and tested to exceed German TUV aluminum wheel standards.

What it does not say is if they are DOT approved.

We used to run MRT's CF wheels on our Late Model Racecar. Too many of them shattered. CF is very rigid - but it does not take a hit very well.
I don't think they are made anymore by MRT.

Actually those ARE Dymag hoops, HRE buys them from Dymag and installs their own centers. Mayhaps, they have/will also purchase the rights to this technology from Dymag?

On a side note, whether Dymag is in bankruptcy or not, those C/F rims are not what put them there. They have a BROAD range of wheel products for many different sectors of the automotive/motorcycle/racing spectrum. These are just one of many products they offer.

it must have been the $4000 cast magnesium wheels that did it then. :)

Sorry to see them go though. Been following them for a while hoping the price would drop.

I heard the carbon fiber side is being setup as a new company. I'm sure CF wheels will be available from someone going forward.

Fikse wheels is in the same predicament and has never made anything from carbon.

BBS wheels went bankrupt a few years back and was saved.

The air is thin in the high end of the wheel market and it operates in a tight margin. Regardless of the quality, its hard to compete with all the cheap brands and knock offs.

I hope Dymag comes through, as they are one of the very few still making cat magnesium rims.

cheers
eric

Shame about Dymag - :cry: I heard that a few weeks back and I guess its just a case of too few orders to justify the plant/resource required. Great product though.

A friend of mine has a rather trick GSXR1000 to which he has fitted all manner of 'performance bling' and that includes Carbon Wheels... Incredibly light and definately improve handling in his opinion.
(pic below)

Carbon wheels are not a new thing either - the V6 Maserati powered Citroen SM from the early 70s had 'carbon composite' wheels as a performance factory option. Another friend has one and haing driven it, I can say it is a very fun car with strangely good handling despite certain quirky features such as the air assisted brakes and headlights that point 'into the corners' being linked to the steering. (don't Lexus do this now?)...

Attachments

• IMG_7740.jpg
    IMG_7740.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 264
Back