I want to build molds

My son at 19 yrs old loves GT40s. My past experience was as a mold maker and chassis builder.... I’ve built race cars, airplane parts, and complete 1934 Ford coupe for retail..

I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s over 15 years ago and am limited on physical work, but i’m Bored silly sitting around. I have the facilities to build the project and would love to teach my son on a project that he would be excited to do.

I specialize in chrome moly chassis designing and jigs to reproduce frames with precision. Using today’s CAD programs we can ramp up really quickly compared to years ago. I have built over 200 production molds in the last 30 years, so reproducing a GT40 will be something we can handle.

So while I cannot do the physical building, I can mentor my son to produce a tube chassis, fiberglass bodied reproduction that will stand proudly beside the ones already available.

So here is what I am looking for..

Someone who has a body we can use as a plug. We would fix anything wrong on it, both structural and cosmetic. Prefer one that is dimensionally correct but maybe poor quality fiberglass. We would give you a new corrected body out of the molds.

Financial partners that want to be involved with my sons project. Payback would per chassis and body built and sold.

Potential customers who have an interest of following the project from day 1...

The American dream is alive and well. My son has the passion to build this project.. I have the shop and the knowledge to pass on to him. Who wants to be involved? text me at 717-469-9676 or email [email protected]

HI John
Interesting starting thread !!
Just one question ? why do you want to replicate an Gt 40 and do molds ?as there so many suppliers of this standard shape with quite intersting prices comparativly to the work and material to invest ( flanges to do plus material for mold and material for parts )
Am too thinking to start anew project based on Ford Gt's but more oriented on what have not be done by the past !!
So what do you think doing an affordable (and so unusual shape) but close looking Ford J car prototype????
Chassis could be a "light" replica of the honeycomb one using square tubing riveted with panels and uprights could be found in GT40 suppliers ( there is a nice and skilled man in UK doing those for resonable amount and extremly good quality !!
To my knowledge ( apart the excellent continuation done by Ken Thompson) there are no J cars replicas .... the only suplier doing MK4's do not sell them more
J car is such an historic car legend and so attractive shape !!!!

HI John
Interesting starting thread !!
Just one question ? why do you want to replicate an Gt 40 and do molds ?as there so many suppliers of this standard shape with quite intersting prices comparativly to the work and material to invest ( flanges to do plus material for mold and material for parts )
Am too thinking to start anew project based on Ford Gt's but more oriented on what have not be done by the past !!
So what do you think doing an affordable (and so unusual shape) but close looking Ford J car prototype????
Chassis could be a "light" replica of the honeycomb one using square tubing riveted with panels and uprights could be found in GT40 suppliers ( there is a nice and skilled man in UK doing those for resonable amount and extremly good quality !!
To my knowledge ( apart the excellent continuation done by Ken Thompson) there are no J cars replicas .... the only suplier doing MK4's do not sell them more
J car is such an historic car legend and so attractive shape !!!!
I contacted recently a company close to me able to machine in 3D the 1/1 scale foam plug for avery very intersting price , doing all bonnets and parts like hood or door separatly ,then assembling and correcting the final shape so all flanges will be quickly done !!!!
Only concern is to draw in cad those surfaces just starting with few informations of starting with a scan of an 1/24 model !!! OUPPPPs that 's will be so hard

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40s.com John...
You may want to reach out to Chris Ardern here on these forums. The last I heard, he was selling his molds...

Last edited:
John , there are several options to build /replicate in the MK1 GT40, the first 427 powered cars at Le Mans with the extended nose,& several variations of the rear clip, some with fins, The Alan Mann cars recently discussed with exposed sponsons, flat doors & add on scoops, the very first cars with what I call the chisel nose, plus a couple of others I cant think of at moment.

Its been years since I logged on here, been facebooking my GT40 appetite, John I was looking for somebody like you and Michel makes a very good point one that I was also thinking about. I am not aware but was looking for a replicar maker that produces a J-Car model of the GT40, lots of MK 1, MK 2 (I cant even tell the difference sometimes) But the JCars that were run in the 1967 year were extreemely rare and special. I see you live in PA. If you are aware there is one not to far from you and the owner loves to share it with the public. It would be an interesting thougth to see if it could be scanned for dimensions, a very modern and unobtrusive way to create something that the rest of the Hobby would enjoy.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1574549911909.jpg
    FB_IMG_1574549911909.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_20191123_140454588.jpg
    IMG_20191123_140454588.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 389
Back