I'm not unwell, thanks....

Hello to everyone..I've finally decided to crawl out from the garage and sit down long enough to finally join! I've been elbows deep into literally everything there is with an engine, and I've been called a 'walking automotive encyclopedia'. I'm presently working as a heavy truck and equipment tech, and the work conditions are abysmal (service call to a quarry to repair a Euclid in the deep end of a Canadian Blizzard ranks right up there). But, I've never worked in a place like it - I was rebuilding a differential for a 1929 Model A Tudor on the bench, awaiting a reman engine for a Zamboni 520 and an airbag module for a 2009 GMC, when I got pulled for a roadcall to run and bandaid a Cedarapids greyhound asphalt paver at the jobsite with electrical issues....and no manuals...I am seriously telling the truth, so help me God..I honestly think I keep going back everyday because it's like the twilight zone..lol. If you know what each of these machines are, you're better than most..But I digress. Thanks to anyone and everyone who takes the time to read through to this point, and for anyone with deep pockets who wants to build a world beating GT40, I have a concept gt40 on paper that has been designed like the job was given to NASA....I've literally seen how everybody does everything across the spectrum, and looked at every single system and component with a why is it done that way? is there a better way? attitude. I adopted a habit early on of translating design problems and engineering issues into electronic terms.."these are my input parameters/desired output, ergo I'll build a mechanical/pneumatic/hydraulic/electric or what have you computer to do the job".This process has served me well...I hope I've kept your attention until now, and for the curious, I welcome any question on any topic..How's it goin',Eh?

Sounds like an average day for Kiwi mechanic, seen inside a few Model A diffs, local Ice rink has a Zamboni IIRC, Few GMC's like those round here & we had a fancy paving machine out here last year to apply the racing surface to highland park & there is a really clever young chap around this neck of the woods who designed a PC controlled cutting machine to cut all the bits out for a GT40 mono & without the NASA budget, soo Raymond, your far from unwell, just got an uncurable virus the effects of which can be minimised by spending ridiculous amounts of time studying the subject-GT40's

I was confused by the title, but after trying to read that I'm even more confused now?...
It's a double negative = positive answer that wakes people up and makes them think....and the NASA reference is simply that their design strategy was strictly function over form, and every problem they faced was approached was unique when they were doing the moon thing around the era of the gt40 birth and childhood...

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Raymond,
you seem to be both a practical and a thinking man. At this point though you have a delusion, you are unwell, as we all were at the time of joining this forum. :laugh: However, with the right GT40 treatment and support administered by the fine people here, you like myself will soon be well set on the path to recovery.
I have a concept gt40 on paper that has been designed like the job was given to NASA....I've literally seen how everybody does everything across the spectrum, and looked at every single system and component with a why is it done that way? is there a better way?
Your first course of treatment will be to back that bold statement up with examples, and pictures pictures pictures, that's what we like to see here, expect praise where it is due, and honest critique too. So welcome to the forum and good luck with your project, look forward to seeing some pictures etc

Dave

Keith

It's a double negative = positive answer that wakes people up and makes them think....and the NASA reference is simply that their design strategy was strictly function over form, and every problem they faced was approached was unique when they were doing the moon thing around the era of the gt40 birth and childhood...

I was referring to this part of your post by the way "I have a concept gt40 on paper that has been designed like the job was given to NASA....I've literally seen how everybody does everything across the spectrum, and looked at every single system and component with a why is it done that way? is there a better way? attitude"

The first part of your sentence is a contradiction to the second part. For example, when NASA was tasked with putting a man on the moon, they could hardly have looked at the way everyone else had done it could they?

Attitude.

I'd get a second opinion....

Ok Ok, perhaps a poor analogy....being Canadian with most of our population huddled along our southern border, we tend to pay attention to what our nearest neighbour is up to..at the age of 4, I saw the most beautiful supermodel ever in one of my Dad's magazines...she was blue and orange with a figure of perfection, and had won the world's greatest competition for the second time...she stole my heart..my first love (sigh)..I've been an automotive machinist, aircraft engine machinist, automotive mechanic, bodyman and painter, welder/fabricator,motorcycle mechanic, marine mechanic, general machinist and general Jack of all trades..my point is that when faced with a problem of engineering and design, where do the unique and original solutions come from? If you observe how everyone else has done something,and then use inductive/deductive logic with a dash of imagination and creativity, and look past the reality to the inherent characteristics, isn't that the key?

Still needs more clarification...wouldn't you look at how everybody achieves flight if you want to fly much further up than anyone? Even to the point of rising completely above the atmosphere? and if your aircraft ends up being totally unlike anything that came before, where did all the ideas arise from?

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Back to this thread,
I have a concept gt40 on paper that has been designed like the job was given to NASA....I've literally seen how everybody does everything across the spectrum, and looked at every single system and component with a why is it done that way? is there a better way? attitude.

So what can you show us about this advanced concept design, clearly it must be well advanced if you've looked at every single system and component?

Dave

Back