Individual Throttle Bodies

Have prepared the bottom half of my S/B Windsor and am ready to consider the Induction System.
Individual throttle bodies when using EFI interest me as they replicate the original.
What manufacturers are available and would be interested in any experiences incurred by others.
Any precautions to consider, and any extra components to the standard package that may be required.

Also can someone advise when using indivual throttle bodies, the plumbing for the rocker breathers to meet emission standards.

Thanks
Glayne

In the US we are limited to two alternatives (in less I am missing some). They are TWM Induction and the ones that Wayne Presley is selling (www.verycoolparts.com). The TWM system has been used a lot, but Waynes system is cheaper and has some better features such as including idle air and MAP passages in the manifold. He has sold quite a few sets and I would like to hear if everyone is pleased, etc.

I would expect that a complete system with all induction stuff and computer would run at least $6000. I am considering this for my new engine build.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CCX33911:
In the US we are limited to two alternatives (in less I am missing some). They are TWM Induction and the ones that Wayne Presley is selling (www.verycoolparts.com). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One other that I know of is Kinsler

G

good topic

could separate into two

induction (tbodies and manifold)

EFI(ECU and electronics)

TWM and Kinsler are the only ones I knew before, now I have some more to check out&lt;grin&gt;

I talked to Kinsler, sounds like their competive with TWM but more race bred. They have short stacks also.

Motec looks good, the first to use 32 bit, cutting edge. They have distributors everywhere.

Good point Neal. I forgot about Kinsler. Looking at his stuff on the web site it always looks very tall. Don't have measurements to compare though.

Hi all,

We use Kinsler and Motec M48 on Roy's MK1 GTD with an aluminium Fontana 302 Bored and stroked to 347 -

Kinsler1.JPG

Motec2.JPG

The management transformed the car - loads of low to mid range torque - adequate power up the range. A few other club members have also driven 'A11GTD' in its current spec and can vouch for how well the Kinsler / Motec work together. Andrew Fordyce being one such person.

regards

Paul Thompson

G

Ask for a Kinsler catalog as there is a great comparison matrix of different ECU systems. It isn't all inclusive, but is a GREAT start for deciding which control system to use. There are several alternatives in Australia, Glayne. You might want to talk to Robert at Roarign Forties. You might also contact Injection Perfection: http://www.injectionperfection.com/default_index.html. Street Address -Corner Drover Road & Desoutter Street, Bankstown Airport NSW, 2200 Australia; (02) 9791 3122,Technical Advice Line: 1902 263 493 (calls charged at $2.42 per minute),Email: [email protected]

Hi kids. Been off building and not checking the forum so excuse me for being a little late.

My initial choice was the Imagine Injection setup. Recently I have read the write-up on Hilborn's set-up used on a 351 bored to 418 in a Cobra. My advice is to watch your bore sizes. The Imagine's were under 2 inches and those folks told me to expect a lot of low end torque but that their system is not for high revs. Hilborn's, on the other hand, start at 2.187 and go up. The 2.5 inch set up sputtered (on the 418) at W.O.T. from a rest but the 2.187 had good throttle response through the range. This all from a 418.

If you're running a 5 liter mill consider a bore under 2 inches. My 351/427 should handle the Hilborn 2.187 bore just fine. Running a bore that is too large will kill your low end and force you to rev it higher to get the torque you need.

I'm going with an Electromotive ECU mainly because it does all that I need and more. Plus the factory is about 20 minutes from home.

product.asp

There's a story off the main page about the Cobra installation.

Happy motoring.

Mark

Another EFI option is available from Pantera Performance in Colorado. I have a 351 Cleveland in my 40, and am in the process of installing a Haltech based system on my car. It uses a standard Weber 4X2 intake, and the system is complete with all wiring, sensors, computer, throttle bodies, etc. Cost was $5,000. I am really impressed with the workmanship, and the guy who runs the place knows the EFI systems VERY well. I am sure he would sell a system with a Windsor manifold, or if not, sell the system without a manifold. An option you might consider...

Jack

I'm running a 2V Cleveland in my car. Throttle bodies are 48IDA pattern TWM's. Manifold to fit 2V heads is from Injection Perfection. Nice folks to deal with!
ECU is Haltec E6K, direct fired ignition, Motec coils. I understand Haltech has a new ECU out now with more outputs.
The E6K was quite a bit lower cost to buy compared to Motec. I've used Haltech before and have been happy.
Fuel pump(s), regulator, and filters are Aeromotive.
Filter is an ITG unit that TWM used to sell but doesn't any longer.
Engine was put on a dyno last March to set up maps. It was built primarily for street use. It appeared to behave well on the dyno. Smooth, good throttle response.
410 HP, 410 lb-ft.
I'm running the shortest stacks that TWM makes to keep the engine height down.

Pictures at http://www.clubphoto.com/reward.php?id=680929&mid=members7_dave539245&pwd=

Engine details at http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/message?forumid=119419&messageid=1016333393

Delivery of the car from ERA scheduled for Christmas week. What a present!!
I can't comment on how drivable the engine wil be till spring.

Mark, I recomend you proceed carefully with Electormotive. I have a good contact who aftermany years with them has recently had some serious reservations with their lack of support. I find Motec the most advanced but the US importer has priced the product beyond reason. The Motec system is about 1/2 the US price in Europe and the complete sytem, including , intake, pumps and etc fro RF is just a little more than the US price for just the box.

As far as I can tell the US importer does not add value that justifies their cost.

Hey Jay,

You told me that your friend had supprt problems before. What are the circumstances around that? The factory guy told me they would deal with me directly and if I had any problems, they would assist. Maybe they are just trying to make a sale?

You are running an Electromotive ECU aren't you? How much factory assistance did you need?

Mark

Another ECU alternative is also from AU there web site is: www.autronic.com. There units seems to have lots of capability for the money. You can for instance get individual cylinder trim, paddle style upshift capability, traction control, waste gate control.

Anyone on the board have experience with Autronic?

Thanks

I think what I'm going to do is buy the Edelbrock Pro-Flo setup that Hershal has mentioned. I am going to install the complete setup and get use to the setup and enjoy the "carb look" for awhile. Then when I want a change or am tired of the carb look I'll install the stack manifold that Wayne sells and continue using the rest of the Edelbrock system and have a carb EFI manifold to sell and recoupe some of the costs.
Dan

here a url:
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/index.html

[ November 07, 2002: Message edited by: DanielD ]

Back