individual Weber screens

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I ended up putting air filters on my cobra's motor.

I have 9 Redline screens ( Rubber seal/Foam/screen ) for sale if anyone wants them. They were on my 48 IDF's.

$80 Shipped to lower 48.

Frank - do you have any good pictures of those? I may be interested...

Last edited:
We have filter screens we sell for our injection (TWM). The weber type with the 2 screens and a layer of foam were to restrictive. When we ran them on a dyno there was a 80 to 100 hp drop with the weber screens. The ones shown in the attachment are 2 layers of screen that keep out most things we come across while driving. I don't drive my car in dusty environments anyway, and they are easy to clean. The hp loss on a dyno is almost nothing. On the TWM airhorns we have machined a 40 thousanths deep, 1/8 inch wide groove in the mounting flange of the airhorn. We put a piece of round #14 304 stainless mesh in the groove and bolt the airhorn on. We can put another round piece of mesh inside the airhorn on top of the secured mesh. This filters and does not detract from the looks of the airhorn. More ideas, hope this helps. Al

Attachments

• DSC_5409 1.gif
    DSC_5409 1.gif
    18.4 KB · Views: 661
Deffinately have to rejet the carbs with the layer of foam. I would guess two sizes or maybe more.

Someone could use the gromets for mesh or whatever.

The screen size I have is the 2.75 inch ones.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
More pics of the above

Attachments

• DSC_5457.jpg
    DSC_5457.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 608
  • DSC_5458.jpg
    DSC_5458.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 443
  • DSC_5459.jpg
    DSC_5459.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 492
  • DSC_5440.jpg
    DSC_5440.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 465

Yuji

Lifetime Supporter
Looks pretty nice, but those screens could be OK for IDF, not IDA, which I believe back fire type of trouble needs to be considered??? Any feed back can be appreciated.

Thanks and Regards

Here are the pics of the machined airhorn.

Attachments

• 20080511_1.jpg
    20080511_1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 465
  • 20080511_2.jpg
    20080511_2.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 439
  • 20080511_3.jpg
    20080511_3.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 518
Yuji, Are the horns too close together on IDA webers? If so the screen maker said that he could make a one piece retainer to retain 2 screens if there was less than 3/8" between the horn tops.

Yuji

Lifetime Supporter
Al,
I think the horns for IDF looks similar (size/distance) to the TWM's product for 302. Do not know yet, as no feed back from the supplier in US yet. Wait and see.
Thanks and Regards

Nicest units I have seen, out of Japan.

Ill try to get some info.

cheers
eric

Attachments

• 50302c511b.jpg
    50302c511b.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 690

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Eric - Those look VERY nice! I will be interested in seeing the price and availability of those...

I'm in the process of ordering parts to copy Rob's (Vintage Venom) screens using 2.5" Tea Infusers and rubber rings cut from a steering rack boot...

Charlie M

Supporter
Al,

How much for a set of those screens (shown in the attachment)?

Thanks,
Charlie

We have filter screens we sell for our injection (TWM). The weber type with the 2 screens and a layer of foam were to restrictive. When we ran them on a dyno there was a 80 to 100 hp drop with the weber screens. The ones shown in the attachment are 2 layers of screen that keep out most things we come across while driving. I don't drive my car in dusty environments anyway, and they are easy to clean. The hp loss on a dyno is almost nothing. On the TWM airhorns we have machined a 40 thousanths deep, 1/8 inch wide groove in the mounting flange of the airhorn. We put a piece of round #14 304 stainless mesh in the groove and bolt the airhorn on. We can put another round piece of mesh inside the airhorn on top of the secured mesh. This filters and does not detract from the looks of the airhorn. More ideas, hope this helps. Al

Here are the generic tea strainers. Just Googled the word and order the ones that fit the opening. they come in different sizes. You will have to grind off the handle or the locking mechanism that hold the two sides together. Then you have several methods of attachment. I drilled a hole and used small pop rivits to hold it on. The ones that Al showed were not available when I did mine. There is a thread here somewhere on the tea strainers or filters. I plan to add a filter(black scruffy) along with SS mesh in 1/4" vacumn hose to the side vent entrance to the rear clip, and I don't plan to do any off roading either. Guess when I get the time(read money) I will go for the TWM filters

Bill

Attachments

• tea strainers.jpg
    tea strainers.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 513
Tea Strainers are the go. I bought 8 small glass infusion tea pots from the local bulk retail`warehouse` for $6.00 each. These have a removable formed round fine mesh cylinder approx 65 mm in dia and about 75mm tall which gives a very large surface area. I moulded a tapered cone flaring out to these filters then out to a larger trumpet, fully protecting and hiding them from view.

Attachments

• play me a tune 001.jpg
    play me a tune 001.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 563
Hello
I' was reading to this interesting tread and did contact Mc Trumpet regarding the screens. Bildergalerie

Unfortunately he does only sale screens with a diameter of 74mm.
As you all know the standard diameter for 48IDA stacks is 70mm they would not fit.

The solution would be to buy new stacks with the screen already attached (74mm). :thumbsdown:

I would like to use the stacks I already have and therefore I'm nom curios to know, if one of you found an other source for such screens?

Many thanks for any help!

Back