Initial Setup of RCR + 2 Suspension

As I received my RCR as a pallet of bits the online assembly guide does not provide enough info to setup my front and +2 rear suspension. Could a current RCR owner send me or post photos of their front and rear suspension setup so that I can see where to place the normal and "safety" washers on all the mounting, coil over mounts and upright positions?

Thanks in advance, I would really like to start with something close to correct.

I have the +2 on my RCR. Here are a few to get you started, but I don't have any really close up. I can take some more close ups this weekend if nothing else shows up:

Front:

GT-40engine011-2.jpg

GT-40023.jpg

Rear:

GT-40engine002-2.jpg

GT-40engine003-1.jpg

Note: I've since moved the rod that supports the rear clip to the top of the metal tab as I was concerned it would interfere with the half-shaft.

Here are a few more (I made aluminium spacers for several locations, not sure if you will have to do this or not):

GT-40065.jpg

GT-40066.jpg

GT-40069.jpg

This is the one I moved to the top and where the hole is made a spacer. I also made a spacer for the upper bolt in the reinforcing tab for the lower control arm that you can see at the bottom of the picture:
GT-40072.jpg

Just prior to installing the metal brackets that make up the rear upper shock mount:

GT-40073.jpg

Here you can see the rear rod that should be moved up (bolt should come through from the bottom) and the spacer installed:

GT-40097.jpg

GT-40098.jpg

GT-40104.jpg

Sorry I don't have any at hand that show more detail. Like I said, if no more show up from someone else, I can take more. Good luck!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
As Dave said - Nice webpage!

Very curious about the rear brake arrangement and purpose...

Did you do the suspension drawings? What was used to do them?

Thanks for the info guys, great stuff this site. I will give your process a go tomorrow Tom. I will also look at Deans setup numbers. I purchased some cool digital angle boxes which should help get the suspension close enough for body alignment purposes.

Thanks for the comments on the web site, first one I have created. Adobe Dreamweaver is a cool program, automatically uploads all changes to the site etc. Very easy and quick due to page templates and style sheets etc.

Regarding the rear brake setup Randy, I have two reasons for it. One is I am a bit of a "wanker" (Australian term for idiot!) and wanted the biggest brakes I could fit in the wheels. I could not have my daily driver put the 40 to shame and it will be on the track a bit. The second is that Australia has some pretty crappy rules on braking systems and without getting into the details the Wilwoods may not have been passed by the authorities. The brake change exercise has meant I had to copy all parts of the front and rear parts into CAD (SolidWorks, first time I have used that too) to develop the new hats and caliper brackets. Very tricky to fit it all but on CAD you cannot go wrong if you measure everything carefully (please do not ask me for the data, I would not share it, it would not be right to do that to Fran).

Unfortunately with the cost of the AP racing brakes, 13.5" rotors (front) and custom bracketry I will be out of pocket about 8K, but it has been fun and it will be different. I should have a lower pedal effort as well (larger disc diameter) so that will be one plus (I'm getting old!).

Last edited:
Thank Jason,

Big brakes...big bucks.....no kidding...

You got your car in boxes as it was shipped directly to you, but as Craig is now handling all the importation of Australian cars they will leave his facility bolted together and rolling ,just like any domestic US RCR customer would receive theirs...

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the comments on the web site, first one I have created. Adobe Dreamweaver is a cool program, automatically uploads all changes to the site etc. Very easy and quick due to page templates and style sheets etc.

I have the whole CS3 package from Adobe and I didn't see a template like yours in the package.. Which one is it and did you modify it much?
I really want to get my website out of Apple's iWeb tool and into something that is more mainstream - one of the reasons I purchased the CS3 package...

Again - very nice work on the drawings. I was not really interested in harvesting information from them other than just the visual art that they are to me... I might be bold enough to ask to use one or two! (as art that is).. :)

Your lift is also a nice one. How tall is it? I am using a beefed up Motorcycle lift right now under my car. I'd like to have something more sturdy for when the car is complete..

The electric hydraulic unit works really well, and weighs heaps! Must thank Fran again for loading it!

I like it as I will be able to safely load the whole car on it when complete. It was really cheap at USD900 I think. It also has safety locks to stop it dropping on my head in the event of a hydraulic failure! To make the car mobile I constructed a frame under it shown in red. This allows me to move the car around as my garage is just a little bigger than that Ricardo gearbox!

It really is quite good and raises the car up about 1.8m. Really handy for working on the suspension. I plan to fit my car with air jacks to raise it to get this unit under it when its finished.

GT40_080608_3.jpg

By the way, as an example of the value in Frans parts, I received a quote today for 4 6061 hats and 4 6061 caliper brackets. AUD5,700!!!!!!! Crap this brake system is getting expensive. Wish I new a maker of automotive machined parts..........

Jason

Sorry Randy just saw your question, mine is CS3 as well. Just grabbed a free template and modified it a little. To be honest cannot remember which site I got it from, just got a basic frame setup, changed the colors and added the GT40 history pane on the left to look a little more interesting!

Jason, I have track test the car and the systems. I will tell you that the brakes are freaking awesome! I run Motul 600 fluid and Hawk blue pads. No fad at all. I am not even planning to connect my brake ducts. I know you are pretty far along with the AP brakes but man, the willwoods work great. I will send you the rest of the suspension measurements tomorrow. I think it will get you pretty close.

The second is that Australia has some pretty crappy rules on braking systems and without getting into the details the Wilwoods may not have been passed by the authorities.

That's right the Wilwoods are not ADR approved ,reason is they have no dust seals on the pistons.

Unfortunately with the cost of the AP racing brakes, 13.5" rotors (front) and custom bracketry I will be out of pocket about 8K, but it has been fun and it will be different. I should have a lower pedal effort as well (larger disc diameter) so that will be one plus (I'm getting old!).

Jason,

Been there done that.

330x32 AP rotors and 6 pot calipers fron and rear.

Attachments

• front wheel.jpg
    front wheel.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 247
  • rear wheel.jpg
    rear wheel.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 276
  • side 1.jpg
    side 1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 281
Greg, bet they work OK. Did you use the CP5555 front and CP5200 rear? If so I would like to know your master cylinder sizes. Also who made your aluminium rotor hats? I'm still looking for some reasonable prices on the machined parts.

Jason

Back