Introduction and questions about SL-C

Even those "thingies" are nice Alex! I almost went in that direction on my LS1 but decided to keep the Z06 manifold and uprated injectors. Ceramic painted the valve covers bright red, then reinstalled the coil packs. Looks mean!

Mesa

Regardless of what engine...even a Ford with matching bolt pattern......a motor/adapter plate is still used to carry drivetrain loads into the billet chassis uprights ...its part of a system designed into the chassis... ...much like a dragster/Le Mans/DP or the bellhousing of any formula car......

For an example of a properly executed LS engine:

Even a Chevy-hater has to admit that is a thing of beauty! :D

Yes, I'll give you that one. Looking around it looks like there are ways to increase both the functionality and beauty of the basic LS without resorting to using plastic covers (which is what I really hate). The next question becomes what will actually fit under the hood.

Anyone know off the top of their heads what the approximate clearance is between the stock LS intake and engine cover? I'm guessing Alex has been looking at this closely and will know :D

Kinsler cross ram intake fits easily....have already test fitted one...
Jim Kinsler is a buddy so I get to borrow anythying I need to mock up..

Good to know the Kinsler cross ram fits. Looks like people are getting some pretty serious HP just with the intake (50-60HP), so it's not just a pretty face either.

Fran, do you know what the ballpark cost is on these? I'm guessing in the $5-6K range. Any idea how liveable a setup like this would be on the street with 8 throttlebodies?

But it doesn't have one of these thingies? :confused:

19192536-176-QUICK-FUEL-1150-DOMINATOR-CARBURETOR.jpg

Ewww...what is that "thingy"? A Canadian propane grill-top? Looks like 4 mini-toilets on a common base...prolly makes the same sucking sound too... ;)

Carbs are ok, I guess. Even when carbs were still on production vehicles, I was always drawn to the Webers...they looked like proper fuel-induction devices to me. The basic float carburetor always looked like a malformed gravy-boat sitting on the manifold in my mind...

Good to know the Kinsler cross ram fits. Looks like people are getting some pretty serious HP just with the intake (50-60HP), so it's not just a pretty face either.

Fran, do you know what the ballpark cost is on these? I'm guessing in the $5-6K range. Any idea how liveable a setup like this would be on the street with 8 throttlebodies?

I'm not Fran, but that particular Kinsler setup will run $17k...

Ewww...what is that "thingy"? A Canadian propane grill-top? Looks like 4 mini-toilets on a common base...prolly makes the same sucking sound too... ;)

Carbs are ok, I guess. Even when carbs were still on production vehicles, I was always drawn to the Webers...they looked like proper fuel-induction devices to me. The basic float carburetor always looked like a malformed gravy-boat sitting on the manifold in my mind...

Yea, they're okay, I guess, if you like things that make the most power and are fairly easy to DIY :D

I'm not Fran, but that particular Kinsler setup will run $17k...

Is that just for the intake? :lipsrsealed:

Wyld,
According to Earl...Jims RH man..and Jim Jr...
it cost about 10k..ish.... plus that price would included everything needed to bolt on and hit the dyno...including electronics..

YIKES! Pretty hard to justify that kind of price for an intake. $5-6K I could see, $17K not so much (unless it came with a motor under it).

The intake with all the ancillaries on the engine side...but it's a VERY nice intake isn't it? ;) hahaha...sometimes I do think their pricing is a bit on the retarded side, glad to see it's not just me.

Wyld,
According to Earl...Jims RH man..and Jim Jr...
it cost about 10k..ish.... plus that price would included everything needed to bolt on and hit the dyno...including electronics..

They would know, Fran. I was just reporting what Katech told me...perhaps this is more of the brand premium/bling/cachet pricing schedule?

Yea, they're okay, I guess, if you like things that make the most power and are fairly easy to DIY :D

Is that just for the intake? :lipsrsealed:

Eh...wringing every last HP out of an engine vs. absolute driveability...I know which one I choose.

Truth is that EFI paved the way for the amazing horsepower we are seeing production engines put out today. Most every racing series on earth besides sprint cars and NASCAR run EFI for a reason...

If carb tuning was "easy & DIY" there would have been ALOT more faster cars during the carb-era. The fact is that tuning a carb is a tightwire walk, and most at-home guys couldn't tune one to save their life. As soon as the humidity changes, your carb is out of tune. As soon as the barometric pressure changes, your carb is out of tune. Drove someplace 1000ft higher or lower in elevation? Ooops, your carb is out of tune. I don't find re-jetting and playing with fuel floats to be a good use of my time. I prefer actually DRIVING. ;)

All that being said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and some people don't like the dominator-style throttle bodies for EFI on a carb-base. I personally would go that way if an adequate induction manifold wasn't available for my big cubic inch engine :D

Last edited:
The Kinsler systems are not cheap but they are very good...and as Jim once told me..."you have never heard of a Kinsler system being the reason a car did not finish a race...."

Gotcha
But at least all the stock bell housing locations will be used with through bolts for the Ford I would guess. The LS set-up (like most adapter plates) has some compromises that are not my favorite things. Just saying the Ford may not require these types of compromises, therefore the bolt pattern and the holding force is as designed by the factory.

Mesa

Regardless of what engine...even a Ford with matching bolt pattern......a motor/adapter plate is still used to carry drivetrain loads into the billet chassis uprights ...its part of a system designed into the chassis... ...much like a dragster/Le Mans/DP or the bellhousing of any formula car......

To use the Ricardo in the SL-C (or a derivative of, like the 962) and a Ford engine, you'd still have the adapter plate is an integral part of the chassis. That plate and it's mounts supports the forward lower pickup point of the rear suspension. Without that bracing in place, I believe there could be problems in that area (i.e. cracked welds) without anything to counter the forces genereated by the pickup point. I supposes one could bolt the engine or bellhousing directly to that location as a substitute, but then you'd have to question the integrity of the area of the engine or bellhousing and it's capacity to accommodate those stresses.

Of course Fran would know about this and no doubt has a solution if the need arises.

Back