Introduction and questions about SL-C

Hi everyone.

My name is Ken and I have been lurking on the board for about a month now learning as much as I can about the SL-C.

I currently own a supercharged Dodge Viper that makes about 700HP and am looking for some kind of project car that will hopefully beat my current car in all performance areas and look good while doing it. I also have friends with cars like the Saleen S7 TT and Ford GT and I want to be able to go head-to-head with them.

Like many I am sure, I first considered the GTM, but I didn’t like the idea of using a donor vehicle/used parts and then after reading a number of build logs I got disappointed in how much time and money people where spending to try to get the body to look decent. I was also so-so on the styling.

When I stumbled onto the SL-C, the fact that it uses all new parts, has a very interesting look (though I still need to see one in person) and has a great body fit right out of the mold I decided that this would be the car I’d target, so now I am in the learning/planning phase.

For me looks are as important as performance as this will be mostly a street car with a little track usage. I am also more of an assembly kind of guy as I have limited fabrication skills or access to fabrication equipment, so while I am not looking for a full turn-key car, getting a roller with upgraded parts from RCR is important to me.

I am planning on about 700-800hp in the finished car. the LS seems like the logical choice, I just wish it wasn't such a butt-ugly engine to put under the glass cover. A nice shiny supercharger will help on that front I guess.

Now for a couple of questions that I haven’t seen asked / answered yet on the forum.

• The inside of the shell on the back engine cover looks like it is unfinished fiberglass. Are people leaving it that way, painting it or covering it with something like a heat foil or similar to improve the look?
  • On the interior treatment, I see that several option packages are available. Is it possible to get a true supercar worthy interior with the options available from RCR that will just bolt in or will I need to plan to have everything covered in carbon fiber or similar once I get the car to achieve a high-end look. I do figure that I will need to upgrade the seats to Tillen or similar.
  • On the options price list, are the prices listed just the additional amount, or do you deduct the basic package pricing from the price listed? For instance, the brake upgrade is listed as $6850. Do I deduct the standard brake pricing of $2195 from that number to get they actual upgrade price for a rolling chassis?
  • On a related note, the lift kit seems to be listed under the pricing of the brake upgrade kit. I assume it is available separately. If so, what is the separate cost?
  • On the engine/transmission front, it sounds like RCR will provide these components at cost if provided in a rolling chassis as I understand it. If so, does that apply to specific engines such as the LS376 or does it include engines such as the LS9 or possibly non-chevy engines? In any case, I assume these would be stock engines from the mfr and not tuner engines.
--- Ken

Welcome to the forum Ken! I am sure others will chime in here to answer your questions. I suggest a call to Fran Hall at RCR for the latest updates and prices.

A full leather interior option is available. I will simply overlay some of my interior panels with real carbon fiber, use flocking and carbon overlay on the dash and keep it simple. The Tillet seats are really nice but very expensive.

Be careful in your comparisons with the Saleen and Ford GT. They come from separate worlds. The SL-C is basically a race car than may be built for the street.
For street use, the lift kit is desirable although I'm not using it (yet).

I don't believe that any of the SL-C's are built alike as the owners preferences and desires run that show! Form really wild (Toby Follows car) and (Rob Mesa's car) to
simply fantastic (Doc Kalers car), and a couple of milder and simpler builds (My car,
J. Salmons car), to in between extremes (Wayne Marov's car with street tail).

My personal prefrence is an LS 396 with the Ricardo for street/occasional track. I have put a lot of effort in building my SL-C with a modified LS1 and 930LSD gearbox.
It should be awsome for the street (430HP).

Just some random thoughts here, best to call Fran on Monday. My 2 cents...

Hey now...the LSX engines are only as ugly as you want them to be! ;)

It doesn't take alot to pull an engine out of the crate and plop it in the car, but it does take considerable creative effort to make one look like the Center of the Universe :D

Hello Ken..

welcome to the world of the SL-C.

I would be more tha happy to chat with you about the car and its options and upgrades...(prices listed for upgrades already have deductions factored in)..

Lift kit is a seperate item...(webpage/IT guy needs a poke on that one I suspect..)

I have a Saleen S7 in the shop right now and I can tell you it lacks a lot of what the SL-C has ..in spades actually in some areas...there are some areas on the S7 where you can see thats some of the $483k price tag was spent though.....

A nice Carbon Kinsler cross ram intake would be a nice addition to the engine bay...

Feel free to give me a call or drop me an email with your contact numbers and a good time to call...

Last edited:
The LS seems like the logical choice, I just wish it wasn't such a butt-ugly engine to put under the glass cover. A nice shiny supercharger will help on that front I guess.

ITB's were developed to alleviate this issue, haha.

Welcome Ken!

Go directly to the source and give Fran a call. I went with the SLC from my track modified ACR Viper and am looking forward to the performance UPGRADE!

There are a variety of treatments employed for the underside of the rear deck. I will probably go with the gold foil (did the firewall with the foil). You might like that new rear deck option for mostly street....

For me looks are as important as performance as this will be mostly a street car with a little track usage.

I am planning on about 700-800hp in the finished car. the LS seems like the logical choice, I just wish it wasn't such a butt-ugly engine to put under the glass cover. A nice shiny supercharger will help on that front I guess.
Welcome ken,

Ken have to agree with John. IMO, the LS based motors can be made to look as good as any other motor out there.

Here's the engine bay of my TT 920HP Vette.

engine.jpg

Thanks everyone for the welcome and answers so far. Doc, I recognize your log-in from the Viper forum. I am KenH over there.

Fran, I will definitely be calling you. Right now I am trying to figure out the right questions to even ask before I pester you as I know you are a busy guy. I love the flexibility of the platform, but having so many choices just makes it harder to figure out what I want! More info on your website would be really nice, but I know how that is as I have a hard time finding time to update my own websites.

I'd also like to thank those of you that are keeping build logs warts and all. That really is helpful for those of us like me who are trying to make a decision on the car and understand what is involved during construction and will no doubt be very helpful during the build process.

--- Ken

Ken,

anytime...you dont have to save all the questions for one call...most guys dont...or they forget some and call back almost immediately..

Perry,
Thanks for the engine pic. I agree that there are ways to increase the curb appeal of the LS and I have been doing some looking around to that end. I will be following your high-end engine build closely.

Here is a pic of my current engine. Now if it would just fit....:sad:
post-8-1289702263.jpg

Perry,
Thanks for the engine pic. I agree that there are ways to increase the curb appeal of the LS and I have been doing some looking around to that end. I will be following your high-end engine build closely.
Here is a pic of my current engine. Now if it would just fit....:sad:

Sweet Viper you have there Ken !!!
Tastefully done :thumbsup:

Looks like a Kenne Bell Sc on there.

For me the LS is BUTT ugly, and yes my car is LSX powered. It seems to me that the money was (very well) spent on the inside leaving the outside to be covered by hideous plastic things. I like the beefy looks and the tech of the 4 cam Ford engines much better, but then they don't really perform. Not to mention they are boat anchor heavy. The Viper engine looks good but it's a bit long for the standard SLC chassis, although with enough money I'm sure Fran could fix that.

Perry, the SC is built by the same mfr that Kenne Bell uses. The SC kit for the Viper comes from a company called Roe Racing.

The limitation is that it is not intercooled. I do run water/methanol injection to keep my cast pistons cool and safe though. It makes for a good street motor though it can't put down the big numbers like the TT or Paxton SC cars do. The twin-rotor SCs top out at about 750RWHP, but are more fun on the street due to the power curve.

WYLD, I would absolutely consider a Gen 4 Viper engine if it will fit. I think the newer motors are only around 500lbs, so not bad on weight. Not sure what you mean by your comment about hemi heads though. I also don't know if the intake can be reversed on the engine as it would probably have to be.

The new race only Dodge Challenger has some hybrid Viper engine in it reputed to be a cross between the Gen 3 and Gen 4 engine making around 800HP. I am wondering if they will introduce that as a crate motor.

Mesa, the new 2011 GT500 motor is now all aluminum and is very similar to the Ford GT motor only lighter as they are not running any cast iron cylinder sleeves. I believe it is running 550HP in stock form. An upgrade on the SC will net some pretty good power. It is incredible wide though.

WYLD, I would absolutely consider a Gen 4 Viper engine if it will fit. I think the newer motors are only around 500lbs, so not bad on weight. Not sure what you mean by your comment about hemi heads though. I also don't know if the intake can be reversed on the engine as it would probably have to be.

The new race only Dodge Challenger has some hybrid Viper engine in it reputed to be a cross between the Gen 3 and Gen 4 engine making around 800HP. I am wondering if they will introduce that as a crate motor.

Exactly what I said...Hemi heads on a Viper motor. The V10 and the Hemi share the same bore spacing. It would require two sets of heads and a talented welder, but I've done this before on two different engines.

The first was a 5.0L Buick/Rover hybrid, used the last generation Rover block with sleeves and Buick bolt-pattern, and GMPP Grand National V6 heads cut and welded to make damn good cross-flow heads instead of the dreadful mini-Nailhead design all the 215cid engines were cursed with. Cheaper than the short-run Wildcat heads made in England. http://www.roverv8engine.co.uk/index.htm

The second was a DOHC SBC using a Dart aluminum block and two pairs of 3.4L Twin Dual Cam heads, running Nissan V8 cam blanks. This one I never got to see running, sold it to a guy in Texas, told me that he was gonna get Pete Aardema to do some development on it for some secret project. That was before the wildfire burnt up 95% of Pete's property. Haven't heard anything about it since.

And yes, the stock manifold can be reversed on a Viper. Did this for a Lamborghini Diablo kit :D

The Gen 3/4 hybrid motor uses a Gen 3 style cam using larger bearings in lieu of the cam-in-cam of the Gen 4 motor. Dunno if it'll be a crate motor, though I bet it will since that car is supposed to be a production racer...

Last edited:
Gotcha on the hemi heads. Sounds a little more involved than I'd probably want to undertake though. The new Viper heads actually flow very well in stock form, plus there is an aftermarket head than can flow more than you can use.

Now that I think about it, this sounds like a perfect project for Perry :idea:

BTW, I checked and the aluminum block on the new modular motor shaves off 102lbs from the old block. Not sure what the iron block motor weights, so might still be a porker. Shipping weight is 717lbs, so probably still 600+ lbs. They do look good though and easy to get some decent numbers if you can fit the larger superchargers under the glass.

Now an all aluminum 429 Boss motor from Boss Nine would look sweet sitting back there. THAT is what a motor is suppose to look like!

The nice thing about the Ford Mod motor is that it will not need an adapter to hook it to a Ricardo gearbox! That in my book moves it up a few notches. When I ordered my car the all aluminum Ford was not available, if it had been I would have had a more difficult choice to make. The LS is still the best performer for the money, the cylinder heads just look a bit wimpy for me. Still a small price to pay for the upside, although the new Ford is making it closer depending on your preferences.

Back