Is Air Conditioning system necessary?

I am in process of putting together wishlist for future GT40 build.
Is AC system necessary if my intent is backroad country drives, no stop/go traffic driving for me. None of my classic cars have AC.
Is it practical to remove side windows for warm weather and reinstall for cooler weather?

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Is AC system necessary if my intent is backroad country drives, no stop/go traffic driving for me. None of my classic cars have AC.
Is it practical to remove side windows for warm weather and reinstall for cooler weather?
Yes

on hot days coming back from Le Mans I would drive without the drivers window.. Up to about 100mph there is not too much buffeting inside.

Ian

Last edited:

Mike Pass

Supporter
Fit helicopter vents. They will scoop in a nice flow of air. I have ac but mostly just use the helicopter vents. They can be quickly adjusted to give the right flow of air at any speed.
Cheers
Mike

Chris Kouba

Supporter
My experience was the same as JP's until I finished my install. Over ~75° it was a little warm, and if it was much warmer or very sunny, it was sauna-like. Also if you stop and get out (i.e., the cabin heat soaks), when I'd get back in, it was uncomfortably warm for an extended period if it wasn't cool out.

There were beautiful days when I wouldn't drive it because of the heat, but truth be told, I never removed my window either.

Then I finished the AC install and charged it. It was a game changer for comfort levels. I highly recommend it, especially if you're even remotely thinking of re-sale values.

I am based in Oregon, with a very mild climate. I can't imagine not having it in a hotter region.

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Search the forum - this topic was discussed several times e.g.
Etc.
My two cents: You betcha!

When I built my car I thought They didn`t have it in the original cars so I didn`t want it in mine. The only time I missed having it was at Le Mans one year. In the UK it isn`t needed and helicopter vents are a good substitute as Mike said.

Glenn M

Supporter
I had the same thoughts when building mine.... it was a 60's racecar, it doesn't have AC! Luckily, I was talked into fitting it by a good friend, I am so glad he did!
If you can keep the car in the cool before you get in and then keep driving you can do without AC. BUT... if you get stuck in traffic on a hot day, or when you get back in after it has been sitting in the sun with a hot engine, then you will rue the day you didn't fit it. It's the difference between getting out drenched in sweat and thinking it's cool.... to getting out actually cool and people not minding standing close to you!
You may not need it too often (especially in this country!) but the times you do you will be very glad that you fitted it. IMHO

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter

If you are married - or are single and have ladies in your life whom you'd like to keep in your life - yeeeeew'd better make darned sure the car has AC if they are going to be riding in it! ;-)

'Just sayin'...

Back