Jag XJ13

Glenn M

Supporter
I thought I remembered seeing a post from Fran saying that no engines apart from the Jag lump would be countenanced. I recall thinking 'good for you Fran.' Could be wrong of course, breakfast is a dim and distant memory!

Glenn

I have recently been asked to cast a bellhousing for a V12 jag to zf transaxle and supply flywheel/clutch. If anyone needs one let me know in plenty of time. This is for a guy that is scratch building a 13 here in the UK. If anyone is using the v12 he engine you need to be aware that its runs a crazy comp ratio of nearly 13.1 so may not suit webers. Pre he are ok on carbs.

Bob

Welcome to this quiet corner of the forum Scott.

It may not come as a surprise but I am in the "stick to a Jag V12" camp. However, you make it clear that you aren't looking for a particularly accurate replica and are prepared to accept a number of compromises.

After all, practically every XJ13 replica either on the road, planned or in progress live with the compromise of having to use the later SOHC V12 as a base which is a very different animal to the original quad-cam. I know of at least two superbly-engineered engines where the heads have been replaced with a pair of heads from the 6-cyl later Jag AJ6 engine to give a "quad-cam" (one of the heads is turned through 180 degrees to achieve this) but this still represents a (very expensive) compromise.

There are only two replicas worldwide using parts of the original quad-cam V12 (or, in my case, the only surviving complete engine) but even the former makes many compromises below the skin. Even the one-and-only "original" owned by Jaguar uses a different engine to the one originally installed and a quite different body to the 1966 original. Various authors have unkindly referred to it as a "Jaguar-built replica".

So you see, it is perfectly acceptable to make compromises to suit your circumstances - even Jaguar did so. I don't know whether RCR would support the use of a non-Jaguar lump but it would be interesting to see how the car performs with a GM crate engine. You could always consider Jaguar's own V8? Pat O'Brian in the UK converted a Series 3 E-Type to use Jaguar's supercharged V8 (he called it a "XKE-R" .....) and it is a superb beast. I could put you in touch if you are interested. Either way, you would certainly have something unique amongst XJ13 replicas!

Good luck with the project and I look forward to seeing pictures of the build.

Neville
Jaguar XJ13 - Building The Legend

Actually the LS engine was one of my ideas as Scott is not , or was not too worried about accuracy as he said.
The LS engine will be far less expensive in the first instance and easier to live with on a daily basis.

They can be dressed up with all manner of cool intakes from crossram to stacks to take away from the "plastic" intake and beauty cover..

I know that rebuilding a V12 to a high standard will cost more , much more than even an LS7 with all the trimmings.

My recommendation is an LS3 crate engine and add the cool intake once the car has seen some road use and you want to take it to the "next" level...

Sounds an interesting project. I look forward to read about progress of what could be a unique replica.

I don't know the first thing about the engine you mention but I imagine it could have a lot of grunt! Do you plan on adding upper-links to the rear suspension (as Derek White who designed the original wanted but wasn't allowed to)?

I also imagine the engine is smaller (and lighter?) than the V12 so will this give you the chance to mount it slightly lower and further forward to help weight-distribution and centre of gravity?

The LS engine is very light compared to a V12..

I just gave a V12 engine to a friend that installing it into an Mk2 and its over 700lbs....the LS engine is around half that in similar state of dress....

The transaxle I suggested to Scott is also a Six speed allowing him much better road use ....

The suspension will be the same as all the other XJ13's we have built,radius rod to but not long like the GT40/T70 cars of the same era.

OR..............

JaguarXJR-14MF11.jpg

Hi all- longtime lurker- ready to get serious about an XJ13 replica. Talked to Rich Dommers many years ago before SCF partnered with RCR, and got the build CD, but life gets in the way sometimes. I will be asking a ton of questions, but I also hope to contribute. First question: Can anyone recommend a good Jag V12 builder in the South?

Hi all- longtime lurker- ready to get serious about an XJ13 replica. Talked to Rich Dommers many years ago before SCF partnered with RCR, and got the build CD, but life gets in the way sometimes. I will be asking a ton of questions, but I also hope to contribute. First question: Can anyone recommend a good Jag V12 builder in the South?

From my time in the E-type community classic jaguar always had a good rep classicjaguar.com

Chuck

Supporter
Neville

Thanks for posting those links.

The XJ is looking simply stunning. What an amazing project

Chuck

Back