Joe’s AP MK1 Gt40 build

Curious as to what size wire harness is mainly used on the gt40,12 or 21 circuit? I bought the 21 but after thinking about it I realize the 12 would prolly be better.

I would say the extra circuits are a good idea, especially with an EFI motor or any creature comforts.

But then again, it's hard to think of how you could utilize more than 12.

Motor is finally home
A12303A7-11F7-46D4-BE43-1C8042BF84A3.jpeg
44061716-BBF5-4542-BC76-A72D2B7191E2.jpeg
ED68E4D5-F8F1-4FCF-817D-035C8C921AC8.jpeg

What are you planning on doing for exhaust? I'm contemplating building my own bundle of snakes.
I placed an order with Chris for a roller a couple of weeks ago. Prestige built a 363 for my current 66 fastback project that dynoed at 509hp. We've been working out a few quirks in my Termonator X setup. Doug has been great about service after the sale.

What are you planning on doing for exhaust? I'm contemplating building my own bundle of snakes.
I placed an order with Chris for a roller a couple of weeks ago. Prestige built a 363 for my current 66 fastback project that dynoed at 509hp. We've been working out a few quirks in my Termonator X setup. Doug has been great about service after the sale.
Awesome congrats. Chris is a pleasure to deal with. He is making my Stainless steel headers

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Looking good! I hope your header builder is taking the raised exhaust port location of your AFR heads into consideration..

I have the AFR 220 and I'm using these.

They are a little larger than the port, but I'm going to use a little piece of 2" tube over a 1 7/8" tube at the flange and it'll work out nicely. These use the wider 3" bolt holes so you 'll have room to get a wrench on the header bolts.

But the raised ports also will mess up the tube alignments at the collectors if he's using plain old stock 351 heads.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
You are correct is an issue. Any chance you know what flanges i need? Heads are AFR mpn 1451

According to AFR‘s website, the ports are 1/8” higher which means they are spread out a bit wider as well. Best to contact AFR for your particular heads to get the exact parts and dimensions.. I just know that the raised ports on my Dart Pro1 heads made fitting the 180° headers a bit aggravating. They did fit though..

If the ports are only raised 1/8", then that would move them less than 3/16 apart. Should be able to flex that much.

I thought it was more than that, but have nothing to back that up.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
the big question lol, can i use them or need to remake?
Thanks
Like I said, my ports were raised too.. I did get the headers to fit, but it involved using ratchet straps to pull the tubes into position so the collectors could be installed. I guess if I were you, I’d just give it a try with what he has made so far…

These are the flanges I've been using lately on these headers. I do use a stock 351 with stock heads as my fixture. I'm going to just take an 1/8" off the top of the flange before I finish we;ding them out, I don't see how Joe will have a problem. The 3/16 side to side concern doesn't make any sense to me, could someone elaborate on that. If it means whether it goes into the collector 3/16 of an inch more or less that another primary? That wouldn't matter.
Chris

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
These are the flanges I've been using lately on these headers. I do use a stock 351 with stock heads as my fixture. I'm going to just take an 1/8" off the top of the flange before I finish we;ding them out, I don't see how Joe will have a problem. The 3/16 side to side concern doesn't make any sense to me, could someone elaborate on that. If it means whether it goes into the collector 3/16 of an inch more or less that another primary? That wouldn't matter.
Chris

Hi Chris…
The space between the exhaust mounting surfaces on a raised port head are generally further apart from each other since the basic shape of the whole assembly is a “V”.
7F18BE35-0797-4C4E-85AF-5CD1A95D1FE7.jpeg

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Maybe give AFR a call and see if they have any drawings or other info that would help…

My guestimate of width error was overstated. I was going off glancing photos and thought the flange was 45 degrees. From this crossection, it's closer to vertical, so the horizontal movement that could cause problems will be less than 1/8" Shouldn't be enough to be a problem.

Back