KCC Restoration

Wow, it's been more than 3 years since I updated this blog. And unfortunately, that's because not a whole lots has happened...

But all is not lost. Let's rewind to 2019, where I last found a few days to work on it..

I started tackling the rear firewall. Started with CAD (cardboard aided design - for those of you who don't watch Project Binky).

64454894566__D580323D-019A-48B1-874B-2DE79C7B94E2.png

IMG_1064.png

Some cutting and bending (which involves coming up with creative ways of bending aluminium)

IMG_1069.png

IMG_1067.png

First side done..

IMG_1070.png

Onto the next side. Rinse and repeat.
CAD..
IMG_1073.png

And we're done. This looks simple enough, but takes bloody ages.

IMG_1074.png

And that's where it sat for a few years! Yep, a few years crept past. Admittedly, I pretty much did a partial restoration on my GTR.

As mentioned in my last update, the car has pretty much been sat dormant while I've been busy with work and my GTR.

A couple of weeks ago, the stars aligned and I found some time to pull out the GT40. Here's how she was sitting... Yeah there's not much room next to the GTR.

IMG_4603.png

Anyway, so it took me about 30 mins to remember what I was working on and where the cardboard templates fitted. Haha

IMG_4575.png

Ah yes, that right. I need to make the top section of the firewall. CAD time...

IMG_4585.png

IMG_4584.png

IMG_4587.png

And cutting time

IMG_4594.png

IMG_4595.png

After much trimming and refitting, I was pretty happy with it.

IMG_4596.png

One thing that's been bugging me is how to attach the stainless to the fibreglass shell. The shell actually has some adjustment bolts up against the steel frame that adjust the alignment with the rear clamshell. So the fibreglass cabin and the aluminium panel need to be able to move. A trip to Clark Rubber found the solution. Perfect!

IMG_4582.png

In the meantime, I managed to source a new glass panel from Roaring Forties. I had a good chat with Robert Logan who runs the company. What a good bloke. He packaged it up perfectly and send it to me quickly.

IMG_4612.png

A comparison of new and old..

IMG_4614.png

Back to the engine

A couple of weeks ago, my mates Jason and Tai came over with the goal of running the engine again. It hasn't run for 3-4 years since we removed the mechanical water pump and installed the EWP. Jason and Tai are pretty bloody good with wiring looms and in no time, they knocked up a test loom with a Deutsch connector so I can quickly plug in the EWP controller and start the engine when needed.

While they did the wiring, I reinstalled the EWP and piping with Dad. Then after much messing around (and a new battery), she started again! So good to have it running again. There were a few coolant leaks to fix and we ran it up to 95 degrees. We need to source thermo fans at some point soon.

Phone cameras never do engine sounds justice.

So what's next?

Now that we are finally working on it again, I hope to keep momentum going. First up will be finishing that rear firewall and then I'll probably continue making more panels around the insides and the pedals (that will be a fun one).

Loving the project.
Nice garage of toys too!
Came from GTR’s myself, nice to see others don’t have to choose sides between import and V8 :D

These are my last two:

570B3998-C302-48A5-9770-E41E009B2E88.jpeg

E334F84A-4A45-4694-B831-9DA22929FF5B.jpeg

9BFB6324-AA66-45E1-BD1E-DC6C94117F31.jpeg

Back