Ken's SLC build thread

Ken Roberts

Supporter
The female part of the grab catch gets mounted to some right angle 1/4" aluminum. I used #6 machine screws to secure it.

Attachments

• 008_zps365b8631.jpg
    008_zps365b8631.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 194
  • 009_zps9c522210.jpg
    009_zps9c522210.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 197
  • 011_zpsb5ff910f.jpg
    011_zpsb5ff910f.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Thanks Jack!

I also added a 12volt power outlet and fob "low battery" slot. If the batteries in the fob are weak this slot allows you to insert the fob right next to a wireless fob receiver.

Attachments

• 012_zpsa113353a.jpg
    012_zpsa113353a.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
If you mount the center console at the same height/angle as I have you will find that the drink holders are useless. Your right arm takes up that whole area.

I will be using my cup holders as a storage area or for hidden switches.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Getting ready to mount the heads up display.

Attachments

• 001_zpsglxcvn41.jpg
    001_zpsglxcvn41.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I plan on using the ramlift pro suspension lift a lot so I don't want the high current to go through the toggle switch. I rewired it so that two relays handle the current load and not the switch. The switch will last a lot longer this way.

Here is a schematic to show how it will function.

Attachments

• ramliftpro_zps7350962b.jpg
    ramliftpro_zps7350962b.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Here is a schematic of how the switch is wired when you receive it. The switch is rated for 20amps but it's never a good practise to send the load through the switch.

Attachments

• ramliftpro2_zps38b152df.jpg
    ramliftpro2_zps38b152df.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Any reason you didn't run the ramlift through the front powercell of the ISIS system?

I didn't take the ISIS wiring Pete. I wanted to build my own design wiring harness. The main reason for this was that I wanted to use a C6 Corvette gauge cluster, heads up display and cruise control integration.

Here is a schematic of how the switch is wired when you receive it. The switch is rated for 20amps but it's never a good practise to send the load through the switch.

Yeah. There are not many times when DPDT swt is a better option than a reverse polarity relay circuit. I always recommend a negative input from the swt, as this will give the swt the longest life.

A great convenience addition would be a latching circuit. Four relays and a couple of diodes. Then you can just tap the swt instead pf having to hold it for the duration. Another tap unlatches and stops the lift should you divide you want to stop somewhere in between full down or full up.

Ken,

Thanks for posting a great build thread.

I am also thinking about using a C6 instrument cluster. Would you mind posting some thoughts on implications for the build? i.e. does this preclude using the ISIS system? Can the aftermarket or GM Performance engine control units/kits be used? How is the BCM integrated? How are you handling fuel level display (2 tanks/senders vs. 1)?

Thanks!

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Thanks for the compliment Dave!

The C6 instrument cluster must be used with a C6 BCM. The only way to truly do this is to find a wiring harness from a wrecked Corvette and convert it to stand alone use. All the unnecessary interior and engine wiring can be carefully depinned from the various connectors. I spent many months pouring over the wiring schematics and building the engine and interior harnesses during the "wait time" after ordering my SLC. I designed my own interior fuse/relay panel and front and rear wiring harnesses.

You can actually purchase a brand new C6 Corvette 2009 engine wiring harness on EBay for about $400. It can then be sent to Speartech or Current Performance and for about $500 they can convert it to standalone use. If you spend some time on the "corvette forum" you can purchase a interior wiring harness from a wrecked 2009 Corvette for about $400 but you will be the one converting it to stand alone use as no company that I know of offers this service.

You really can't just take a GM Performance engine harness and use it as is. The Corvette tune requires a E38 style of ECM. As well, the harness would need too much extra wiring added for the needed integration with the interior BCM wiring.

You are correct in saying that the ISIS wiring is completely omitted. You would then need to add your own lighting wiring harness and interior fuse/relay panel.

I will be tricking the C6 Corvette tune into thinking it is monitoring two fuel tanks while in reality it's only displaying the fuel level of the single tank in the SLC. The way to do this is to use the two fuel level senders but only have the "left one" in actual use in the SLC fuel tank. The "right one" will be used as a dummy displaying a empty signal. The BCM will assume that the right tank is empty and fuel is being used from the left tank. This translates to the gauge displaying fuel level of "half" to "empty". The right tanks sender displays a "half full" to "full" gauge level. What this means in reality is a full tank of gas in the single SLC tank will show on my gauge cluster as half full. A half tank of gas in the SLC will display 1/4 tank on the gauge. So in conclusion the right fuel sender is wired in the circuit but it only sits outside the SLC tank (in a small plastic box) and the rheostat is permanently held in the empty position.

I'm willing to share all my wiring diagrams with you if you think this is something you'd like to tackle. Just be warned that this will most likely add about 100 hours to the build.

I wanted more of a production car feel to the car. The interior lights will have that theater dimming feel when the doors close. The headlights will work automatically. The cruise control will function. The A/C will be controlled by the Corvette tune. The fan settings can be changed in the tune with HP Tuners. Heads up display will function. Daytime running lights operation will function as required by law here. The keyless push button engine start will function. The self dimming rear view mirror will also function but due to the angle needed it will be mounted on the dash.

Last edited:
Thanks for the very comprehensive reply, Ken!

I've never installed a crate engine before or worked on an ECM, so will probably show my ignorance here, but: Why does using the factory ECM/BCM preclude the use of ISIS?

My thinking (probably wrong?) is that the ECM needs power input (which could come from ISIS?) and in turn distributes power and receives signals from various sensors and controls timing and injection pulses through the engine harness. If the BCM is required to drive the gauge cluster, then I assume the ECM also must send signals to the BCM (tach, wheelspeed?) which translates those signals into signals it sends to the gauges (?) If this is true, then wouldn't it be possible to:

- Use the ISIS as "normal" for power distribution functions, including power to the ECM and BCM.
- Use a factory ECM with factory harness and factory sensors to control the engine
- Use a factory BCM with no functions connected except the wiring to the ECM, the fuel sender and the gauge cluster

If this is possible, would it be true to say that the factory engine harness could be used with relatively minor modifications, but the BCM harness would be stripped down significantly to only the link to ECM, fuel sender and gauges?

I'm pretty comfortable doing wiring so long as the right connectors are available, but don't know a thing about programming the ECM/BCM and don't (yet?) own a Tech 2.

Sorry if these are dumb comments/questions - I don't know what I don't know.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
You most likely could integrate the BCM with the ISIS wiring harness. Send ISIS a email and let us know what they say.

In my opinion if you are going to the trouble of using a BCM then you might as well take advantage of all it has to offer.

One possible problem with stripping down the BCM wiring is the fact that the Corvette tune uses push button start which means there are extra security measures in place to validate that the car is not being started by someone unauthorized. With HP tuners you can switch the security off I believe but I have no experience in this area.

One of the first items I purchased was a used GM Tech 2. Stay away from the Chinese clones!

Ken,

Does the Tech 2 allow you to change the "CORVETTE" message that scrolls across the display when you start the vehicle?

I have HPTuner and have only used it to store my LS6 stock tune, change the temps at which the radiator fans activate and explore a little. I purchased used copy of GM EFI tuning beginners guide DVD and a copy of Greg Banish's Engine Management:Advanced Tuning, that I will get into once I'm on the road.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
The Tech 2 can't be used to change the introduction message. However there is a company that can do this if you send them your BCM. That message is held in the BCM apparently. They can also now successfully delete the TPMS (for off road use only).

Corvette Products

I'm thinking about changing my startup display to Superlite Cars SLC if Fran gives me permission.....wink

Last edited:
The Tech 2 can't be used to change the introduction message. However there is a company that can do this if you send them your BCM. That message is held in the BCM apparently. They can also now successfully delete the TPMS (for off road use only).

Corvette Products

I'm thinking about changing my startup display to Superlite Cars SLC if Fran gives me permission.....wink

I'll have to check it out. I'm always anxious about sending my gear out.

I'm keeping the TPMS. My wiring was from a 2000 coupe and I upgraded the RFA and TPS's to the 2001+.

Back