Ken's SLC build thread

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Ken; Are you able to reprogram your modules with just the Tech 2, or do you need the TIS2000 software and/or a subscription to do that?

Hopefully I can handle all the reprogramming with the Tech 2 without needing a subscription to TIS2000. The security relearn is the only one bugging me. The C6 Corvettes use keyless start so the BCM talks to the ECM to see if all security issues are met.

I bought the E38 ECM with the 2006 Z06 program loaded in. The BCM is brand new so it will need to have the country settings and interior options that I'm using enrolled. Plus the security relearn must be done. One way (the long way) to accomplish this is to turn the ignition on and off numerous times while observing certain dash lights. It takes at least a half hour to complete.

This is all still new to me so I hope I'm not way off base.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Incredible build Ken. Are the wheels c6 z06 wheels? Did you paint them or source them in that color?

Thanks for the compliment Matt. The wheels are indeed C6 Z06 wheels. I had them refinished (powder coated) that colour. It's similar to a "comp gray".

Ken, where did you get the rear, circular bulkhead window? A quick google search did not turn up anything, and it seems like a very practical addition.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Ken, where did you get the rear, circular bulkhead window? A quick google search did not turn up anything, and it seems like a very practical addition.

I had it cut from safety glass purchased from a local auto glass franchise. The glass overlaps the hole cut in the bulkhead by about 1/2 inch all the way around. It is held in place with urethane like a windshield. There is no rubber moulding.

Be prepared to mount the rear-view mirror on the dash as that is the required angle needed to see over the lip spoiler on the street tail.

Here is a close up picture of it for you...

Attachments

• 001_zps9bd4cd6c.jpg
    001_zps9bd4cd6c.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
I had it cut from safety glass purchased from a local auto glass franchise. The glass overlaps the hole cut in the bulkhead by about 1/2 inch all the way around. It is held in place with urethane like a windshield. There is no rubber moulding.

Be prepared to mount the rear-view mirror on the dash as that is the required angle needed to see over the lip spoiler on the street tail.

Here is a close up picture of it for you...
Very cool! Thanks for the info and the pic. You said that you didn't use rubber moulding. What did you use to outline the window in black on the engine side of the bulkhead?
Did you blacken the extra 1/2 inch you left on the glass? It's a super clean install and I thought for sure it was rubber moulding.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Since the body is built in Canada the whole process seems to be a bit easier. I had no hand in the process. You simply arrange for pickup or delivery from southern Ontario.

You are more then welcome to come by and see it in person if you like.

Ken,

How is your view out the rear window? Can you see cars behind you when driving or obstacles when backing up in your rear view mirror?

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Ken,

How is your view out the rear window? Can you see cars behind you when driving or obstacles when backing up in your rear view mirror?

The car isn't licensed for the road yet. The rear window is functional though. The rear view mirror must be placed on the dash to get an upwards view over the rear spoiler. You most definitely can see cars behind you. At least their front bumper :thumbsup:

It's also kinda cool seeing all that horsepower right behind you. It gives the cabin a little less claustrophobic feel too.

I'm in the process of finding a mirror that is appropriate. It must be about 6 inches wide at the most. I tried using my fancy C6 Corvette auto dimming and compass mirror but it's just too big and bulky for sitting on the dash.

Ken,
What did you use to hold the rear window in place while the adhesive was setting up?
Will the window adhesive tolerate the heat generated from the engine side?

Nice job!
Howard

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Last edited:
Back