Kurt H (hoffkm) SL-C build thread

I keep admiring your steering wheel logo, kind of feel like I need to copy you. Something about the embossed logo gets me, especially when I get in mind and it's just a stinkin' vinyl decal.

I assume 3D printed? What'd you use to fill in the layer lines? Is the red a decal or did you paint by hand? I

Del,

Yes, the steering wheel center cap is a design I drew up and 3D printed. I then hand painted the red inset and clear coated it. I also made some "flat" versions without the tabs on the back that hold it into the steering wheel center that I will use for 1) a hood ornament and 2) misc locations on the car. The SLC logo is not to the exact proportions of the actual Superlite logo but it is close enough for me. I will gladly share the CAD file or stl file with anyone who wants a copy (so long as I am not infringing on any copyrights, etc. with Fran and the factory).

Joel,

I have read many comments from previous builders on how to best fit the windshield. The primary theme focused on how wide you trim the flange on the spider so I carefully followed all recommendations. Trial fitment was successful with no gaps. After that I glued in a trim strip to hide the back side of the forward edge of the a pillar covers. This strip was glued to the inside of the spider. I assumed this would clear the windshield (key word here is assumed). Upon final fitment I had a huge gap as so many others have. WTF! Found that my trim strips were contacting the windshield. Now I need to remove them and find another way to hide the gap in the a pillar covers. Nothing major, just a bummer

Joel K

Supporter
Yeah sort of frustrating when it just doesn’t go like you envision it. But at least it’s fiberglass and can be re-shapped.

Working on the SL-C in short bursts between other projects today and cut away the filler strips I added on the a-pillars. Windshield now sits as it should on the a-pillars but I have a new problem. I have about a 3/16" gap at the top of the windshield, WTH! Any suggestions are appreciated, outside of some divine knowledge from someone's past experience it is back to more messing around with body fitment, fun, fun!! :mad:

Well I finished my tasks around the house (opening the pool and getting our RV ready to go camping next weekend) and went back to the SLC. I figured out my windshield problem. I recently mounted the interior roof panel and the weight of it was pulling down the front edge of the spider where the windshield sits. When I removed the interior panel and pushed up slightly on the spider the windshield fit perfectly again. I currently have the spider propped up to get it to relax back to it's proper location, then I will install the windshield.

Question now is, has anyone ever added bracing between the spider and the roll cage to reinforce the spider? I am considering applying spacers between the spider and the roll cage where the upper door hinges mount (bolt would be hidden) to bolt the spider to the roll cage. Is this a good or bad idea? My major concern is if the roof panel caused the spider to "sag" what are the doors going to do to it????

Joel K

Supporter
Well I finished my tasks around the house (opening the pool and getting our RV ready to go camping next weekend) and went back to the SLC. I figured out my windshield problem. I recently mounted the interior roof panel and the weight of it was pulling down the front edge of the spider where the windshield sits. When I removed the interior panel and pushed up slightly on the spider the windshield fit perfectly again. I currently have the spider propped up to get it to relax back to it's proper location, then I will install the windshield.

Question now is, has anyone ever added bracing between the spider and the roll cage to reinforce the spider? I am considering applying spacers between the spider and the roll cage where the upper door hinges mount (bolt would be hidden) to bolt the spider to the roll cage. Is this a good or bad idea? My major concern is if the roof panel caused the spider to "sag" what are the doors going to do to it????

Hi Kurt, glad you got the gap mystery figured out. I have no Idea on your question regarding the interior panel since I haven’t gotten to it yet. Not a SLC, but these two videos are pretty interesting about reinforcing the A-pillars on a fiberglass car. This guys channel is really good...

Last edited:
I've been anxious about the windshield installation so I tackled it this evening. I ordered some 5/16 3M Window Weld Ribbon Sealer to do the job. I used this on the GTO windshield when I replaced it and it worked very well so I stuck with what I know. The main benefit is there is no mess in this product versus the urethane you apply from a tube that squishes out all over. In hind sight I think the 1/4" would have worked better as the windshield is sitting a little tall of the body. I will use 1/4" after I paint the body and re-install the windshield again. Other than sticking up a little to high for my taste it came out perfect.

2021-05-26 18.49.31.jpg

2021-05-26 19.03.00.jpg

2021-05-26 19.03.16.jpg

After installing the windshield I set the front and rear clams back in place. Needed to see the car together again.

2021-05-26 19.50.22.jpg

2021-05-26 19.49.40.jpg

Everything looks good except for some reason I now need to move both rear wheels forward 1/2" to center them in the wheel wells. Fronts are good, rears are way off.

2021-05-26 19.49.49.jpg

2021-05-26 19.31.19.jpg

Need to research this some more to see if this is common and how best to adjust. I believe I will need to move all the washers from the front of the upper and lower control arm mounts to the back of the mounts to get close to 1/2".

I am just very relieved the windshield fit up perfectly!

Joel K

Supporter
Nice Job on the windshield Kurt, everything I’ve read indicates it’s very tricky to install. I also really like the revised profile of the door window openings. Any concern about reducing the strength of the door?

Joel,

Thank you. I am super relieved that the windshield is in. Can't believe that had me so worked up. As far as the door opening, I plan to bolt my side windows in with extra fasteners and if the doors appear to be too flimsy I will reinforce them on the inside with carbon fiber.

Joel K

Supporter
Joel,

Thank you. I am super relieved that the windshield is in. Can't believe that had me so worked up. As far as the door opening, I plan to bolt my side windows in with extra fasteners and if the doors appear to be too flimsy I will reinforce them on the inside with carbon fiber.

Well Kurt, it’s nice to be able to follow in your footsteps and see how you are approaching things. Once again, great work!

Kurt,
The 3M ribbon is music to my ears, I always tend to make a huge mess with runny stuff. So you just lay the ribbon down and stick the windshield on top of it? Thanks a lot for the tip, I may follow your lead and go that route, watch me make a mess. LOL

They are super fun to move!

You my friend have a warped sense of fun!

Hauled it to my place on a flat bed trailer and the plan was to lift it off the trailer with my two post lift, pull the trailer out, then sit it down. Easy, right...............wrong! The trailer I borrowed was 2" two wide to fit between my two post lift at the wheels. I should have foreseen that. I ended up backing the trailer in far enough to use my lift to take some of the weight of the mill off the trailer. I then strapped and chained the mill to a large anchor I have in my shop wall (ran into one of the main timbers of the pole barn structure) to pull the mill back on the trailer. I inched the trailer out sliding the mill to the back of the trailer so that I could then get it centered on my lift to pick it up off the trailer. Took way longer than it should have but it is done. I hope we never move from this house. If we do, the new owners are likely to get a nice Bridgeport as well as the pool table in the basement. That is never coming out of there! (that is a whole story in and of itself)

Kyle

Supporter
Kurt, if you ever mill some front clam hinges or anything else extremely useful let me know! Would gladly pay you for a set.

Hello Kurt - Another fellow Mechanical Engineer here. I'm working on the build of a GT40 powered by an LS3 and G96.01 like your SL-C. I know people have fit them in the GT40 before but I since I'm doing a scratch build; I'm going to attempt to re-locate the gas tanks to a more centralized and safer location (if it's even possible). Would you please be so kind to provide the total length of the LS3, G96.01 trans and adapter plate mounted together per the attached picture. It would be great if you have the lengths of each of the three components but if not, the total length would be sufficient. It would greatly help me on my build before I buy everything. Thank you!!! I'm half way reading your build and its looking great... Taking alot of notes as I read :)

Attachments

• LS3+G96.01+adapter plate length.JPG
    LS3+G96.01+adapter plate length.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 177
Back