Lancia 037 recreation

Ok so here it goes,

I love building rally cars from the seventies and eighties. So far i have built a Lancia Stratos replica ( a Hawk with Alfa romeo V6 ). After i sold the car i bought a restauration project an Alpine A110 which is currently at the paint shop to prepare for paint. I have a build log on facebook: pims Alpine A110

Then i got my hands on an abbandonned project a Lancia 037 recreation based on a Lancia Beta Montecarlo tub like original.
This is the reason why i joined because the Lancia 037 uses a ZF 5DS 25 gearbox in the same way Detomaso Panthera does ( inverted to the Ford GT 40 ).
I also have a build log on facebook: Pims lancia 037

I have been looking for a good gearbox preferably a ZF 5 DS 25. But those are scarce. I also found a lot of threads here about Audi boxes, i have an Audi A4 gearbox now.
But some while ago i came about a ZF 4DS 10 gearbox and it looks similar to the 5DS.
So as you guys have a lot of experience i was wondering, would it be possible to make a 5 speed out od a ZF 4DS gearbox. ???
As you can see in the picture the front looks a;most the same.
I heard in Holland these boxes were converted to 4wd so maybe 5 speed is also possible??
Any advice appriciated.

Best regards,

Pim

Attachments

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Hello Pim,

I should have some more Information on the 4DS10 gearbox but I‘m currently on vacation....“
I don‘t know if a 5 speed conversion is possible or not but the horse power it can take is probably not too high.
For hp rating look into following sites:
https://www.zf.com/corporate/media/zf_media_import/document/corporate_2/company_4/tradition_3/service/historische_datenbl_tter/4-gang-synchron/4_ds_10/F_41191_R_1244_769.pdf
https://www.zf.com/corporate/media/zf_media_import/document/corporate_2/company_4/tradition_3/service/historische_datenbl_tter/4-gang-synchron/4_ds_10/Datenbl_4DS10_861.pdf
Getriebe ZF 4DS10/2 4.Gang Synchroma im Ford GT

Regards,
Markus

Randy V

Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Lloyd is a tough guy to get hold of. You might try email or by sending him a letter...

Hello Pim,

I should have some more Information on the 4DS10 gearbox but I‘m currently on vacation....“
I don‘t know if a 5 speed conversion is possible or not but the horse power it can take is probably not too high.

Regards,
Markus
Thanks Markus for the extra info, i read in one of the papers that an extra drive can be added to the gearbox but i suppose they mean something like 4WD?
Any info appriciated.
The alternative is of course the Audi transaxle which i already have. Just exploring possibilities closer to original. I got an offer for a 4DS for 200 Euro so might buy it just to take it apart and see whats in.

Have a good vacation.

Cheers,

Pim

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Hello Pim,

For hp rating look into following sites:
https://www.zf.com/corporate/media/zf_media_import/document/corporate_2/company_4/tradition_3/service/historische_datenbl_tter/4-gang-synchron/4_ds_10/F_41191_R_1244_769.pdf
https://www.zf.com/corporate/media/zf_media_import/document/corporate_2/company_4/tradition_3/service/historische_datenbl_tter/4-gang-synchron/4_ds_10/Datenbl_4DS10_861.pdf
Getriebe ZF 4DS10/2 4.Gang Synchroma im Ford GT

Regards,
Markus

Hello Pim,

unfortunately my memory did not serve me correct....
I mixed up the different transaxle type's 4DS10 with 5DS10/12/20.
However, I post what I have (sorry for the odd shape of the pictures-resizing was for whatever reason tough):

Attachments

Thank you Markus for the info.
I have been offered one for 200 Euro's so might give it a go even if it is just for exploring the technique.

Best regards,

Pim

Thank you Markus for the info.
I have been offered one for 200 Euro's so might give it a go even if it is just for exploring the technique.

Best regards,

Pim
Could not resist and bought the box, now see whats inside.

Attachments

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
That looks like a lot of gearbox for Eur200.
Sounds interesting and I hope it works for your application

Ian