Lava mat heat shielding

So, you went with the thinner material? How workable is it, and what did you use to cut and adhere the material? Any hints/tips/afterthoughts?

Hi Ben,

Yes, I went with the 0.07 material. It is very easy to work with, as long as you take your time with and don't try to apply to much at once. It sticks pretty well on contact, but you can pull it back up if you're careful. I used a razor blade to trim the pieces (after I applied it onto the panels). It was much easier that way. I'm pretty happy with it so far. I have an interior "waterfall" engine cover, that I've already lined with dynamat. But I also plan to lay the LavaMat over the DynaMat for heat shielding.

I won't really know whether or not it works as advertized, until I close everything up and let it run for a while. Stay tuned...

Standing-by...

How about fraying from cutting it? Any issues?

The material can fray a little at the edges if you're not careful. That's another reason that I applied the material to the panels and then trimmed the edges cleanly with a razor blade.

On parts like the window opening that I covered, I "wasted' the window section that I could have probably used some place else, but I'm ok with that. I just measured the rough length x width, and laid it on. And then trimmed it. Very easy, and quick.

If you have any fraying that you feel might cause some issue, you might try dabbing a little Elmer's glue (or something similar) to the edges, and flatten it out. 1/8" or so. When it dries, it should dry clear. Just a thought.

Are you guys buying several small sheets (like 12x24), and butting them up, or are you buying larger sheets?

Back