Le Mans (1971 film) on DVD

Who would be interested in seeing this film featuring real GT40s on DVD, at I believe the 1970 Le Mans?

It's not available now but you can put an incentive to the studio to convert it by 'ordering' it on Amazon(.com not co.uk). Hopefully we can get in Region 2 format too (for Europe).

I have logged my interest and would be e-mailed when it becomes available, as far as I see its not a cast-iron commitment to buy.

Who's also keen to get this classic film on a decent format?

David Champ

Where are the GT40's in "LeMans"? I own three different copies, and I have watched it a hundred times, and missed them. Bunch of 917 Porsches, but haven't seen any GT's.

racinfd

G

The nearest a 40 got to the film LE MANS was a decapitated one with onboard cameras to film the high speed track shots. Just about the only car low and fast enough to film the low down action.
Regards,
GTA.

There is a white GT-40 in the film for about, ohhh 5 seconds or so, during the opening sequences.
However, every time I watch the film, it gets me to thinking if I could somehow get one of the 917 replicas registered for road use.....What a stable mate that would be to the '40!

Brian

G

Brian,
You are dead right about a white 40 in the opening shots of cars queuing to get to the circuit.It must have been road registered and parked outside as i do not recall seeing it within the paddock areas and it is not on any of my own film that i took then.
I,m sorry to say that the 40 days were numbered in 1969 by the emergence of 917 breed but the 40 had the reliability and brilliant organisational and engineering skills of the men at JWA and a much longer process of development.Little wonder that Porsche asked Wyer to take over the 917s race development.
Regards,
GTA.
PS. Did you receive my mails?

Correct! I forgot that I always get excited and point it out to people watching the movie. It is rolling in to park for the race, or so it seems.

Good job,
racinfd

Lemans was filmed one year too late.
That's why no GT40 coverage...John Wyer
switched to Porsche since they had the money.
Imagine if it had been shot in 1969!
Too bad. Still, the best film about endurance racing.

MikeD

I am not sure we infuenced this, personally I doubt it, but Le Mans (the 1971 movie) will be released on April 29th on DVD (region 1). Amazon has just informed me it is now available for pre-order. For you limeys out there (me included) we are Region 2 but my DVD player seems to cope also with some Region 1 films, so I am going to gamble on it working. Apparently you can 'chip' the players to play other regions but I haven't checked this out.

Hi all
If you want a French movie that has 5 minutes of great GT40 footage then you should order Un homme et une Femme. It shows a testing session of the Ford France car and the sound track is just the best 40 sounds ever put on film.
Regards
Chris

PS. it has sub titles.

Dave - here's a company that can chip your player: http://www.techtronics.com

I've got them to chip one (high end expensive) player and bought three other pre-chipped ones from them and their service so far has been good.

They're not the cheapest, but their modifications handle all the titles I've tried (including RCE ones).

ciao

Ian

Here is a hint.

If you can find a VERY cheap or VERY old DVD player, chances are it will play all regions. You see they need to ADD technology to get it to ignore exotic regions. Here in Australia, there is a store called Tandy Electronics (the equivalent of Radio Shack in the USA???) that sells cheap no-brand units. They are totally legal too.

Follow up on Ians message.

I know the guy that runs Techtronics, and he is a safe and trustworthy pair of hands

Should add for the sake of openness that he sponsors a charity event that I am involved in ('Make a wish' - open weekend at Tallington Ski Centre - that provides once in a lifetime experiences for terminally ill kids)

Regards

Neil

Back