Levy racing 331

Hi

posted this already in the build log, but may be fitting here more specific.

So this is the 331 SBF going into my RCR 40

my desicion was to go with Gordon Levy from Levyracing AZ.
His reputation as a custom engine builder is very high especially in Cobra circels. The major thing i speced was that i want to be able to turn it savely up to 7800 RPM and have peak power around 7200 RPM but still keep drivability and reliability. Gordon came up with the following solution.

A 302 based 331 build on the new FMS Boss block. Forged, internaly balanced rotating assembly. Custom ported Edelbrock Victor Jr heads; a custom grind solid flat tappet cam with comp cams pro magnum roller rockers; Super victor intake; 750 Pro series carb (we decided agianst Webers, because we are convinced the 4bbl will give a better result in most aspects, except the look:-(();
Aviad GT40 oil pan; MSD AL 6 ignition; Short explorer water pump setup; Complete including installation of alternator and AC compressor with a serpentine belt system.

THe first dyno runs in june didn´t show the expected result ( we where at 470 HP) and Gordon went over the engine again, designing a new cam profile, and working on the heads again. Finally he tested the engine again in July and here you go. He achieved the desired very flat torque curve, which will give a nice drivable engine ( the dyno sheet starts at 5100 RPM but the engine has 380 lbs ft at 4000 RPM). He pulled it until 7200 RPM on this dyno run, but did´nt want to take it to far, but one can see that it still was building power.

I´m very happy with this result, because it fits exactly my gearing ( which i set up for a power band of 5000 to 7000).
Actually i fear this engine, because i never had to handle this kind of power in a car.

Thomasfinal331.jpg

TOM

Last edited:
Back