Lexus v8 UN1, 016 or other?

Hi all,
I have read over the forums and have a bit of time this weekend to stop by the wreckers. I have decided on a lexus v8 which at most would put out 400hp. Due to lower hp and torque i figured the UN1 from R25 and 016 From Audi 100 are about the best buys from Australia pick-a-parts.
I cant seem to find the un1 vs 016 thread so ill repost a few questions here. Living in Australia i know the un1 is found in the Renault r25 and 016 in the Audi 100, is there any other commonly found models these appear in? I have been told they hold about the same power and both are becoming obsolete as far as spares so its not crucial as to which i pick?

Which is cheapest to mate to the Lexus? i don't mind having an adaptor cut out of steel but im not keen on the very expensive new bell housings etc

I was directed to these pics which show a UN1 being used as a stress point and supporting most of the rear suspension. I love the look of this design and as someone has already proved it possible with a UN1 it does swing me towards this box.
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech-engines-induction-exhaust/15641-engine-orientation-40-a-2.html

However how common are the Renault 25's in wrecking yards?

Any other pro's and con's would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
jonesy

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jonesy,

I can't point you to a good thread comparing the two, but from what I have read the 016 and UN1 are pretty comparable strengthwise.

But the big difference IMO is the Renault can be inverted to give a lower motor position. This to my mind is the most important consideration. There are also significant upgrades available for it, at a cost.... There are quite a few UN1 threads on here that deal with models, gear ratios, upgrades etc.

Same for the 016, but if I was looking for a low cost trans I think the UN1 would be my choice because of motor position, and I'm sure the effort of finding one would be worth it. I've no idea about rebuild parts availability or cost though, that could be worth looking into. RamboLambo or LastPago may have that info in one of their relevant threads.....?

Leon (haroo) is doing a Lexus/UN1 in his M6GT, so might have some useful info for you too?

Last edited:
I'm using the 012 which has the same bolting I believe as the 01E I got my adaptor made by BNC Products - Transaxle Adaptor Kits so they should be able to repeat the exercise for you if you wish.

EandT.jpg

APlate01.jpg

Thanks for the information guys. Thats a nice looking adaptor you have there. I assume the 016 would be similar and not require a whole new custom bell housing. also been informed that someone believes the UN1 from the V6 has the larger bell housing which only requires the same type of adaptor.

I had a adaptor plate cut a few years ago to mate a Morris 1100 engine to a toyota 5sp and it was simple and cost effective.

What do you do as far as flywheel, clutch etc? I have only seen these engines on auto boxes?

I would prefer the UN1 and to copy the suspension set up as the UN1 appears more rigid however i think if all i want to spend is a few hundred i might be stuck with the 016?

To go with the Audi boxes you'll need a custom flywheel as the crank in input shaft are too far apart. I had this made as part of the kit and am using a Audi V6 clutch.
I've not had the motor running yet to test all this stuff yet.

Sorry I was in a rush with the last post. I should have said its a 1UZ-FE auto bell housing bolted to the mid mounting plate, with the original V6 UN1 bell housing cut down and milled to make a face plate for the gearbox.

Hi Jonsey, Mike from Chassisworks here.
If you are going to go with an 016, I have an 016 trans I am working on all kinds of stuff for them. E mail me, maybe if You can supply the bellhousing info, I can machine the adapter for you.
Cheers, Mike

sorry to bring up an old topic has anyone else had success with a 1uz - un1 adapton? any chance you have a CAD file you might consider sharing?

cheers
Craig

hi Jonsey, you might try this guy he used to make a Countach Replica with a
1uz and a un1, he used to make the adapter and flywheel, worth a try tell him i sent you over he should be able to help. Im doing his kit but with a 1uz and a 016, i had the adaptor and flywheel made locally.

Dave Short
314 Halcombe Rd
RD 5
Feilding
Manawatu
Home +64-6-323-4935
Work +64-6-323-4931
[email protected] or new email
Dave Short ([email protected])

regards
Graeme stebbing

You should also be able to source the 01E in yards as well they were installed in many diesel FWD cars as well as a few gasoline versions I believe made it to Australia.

016 support by Audi was dropped many years ago, so parts are becoming scarce, most internal parts are unavailable new. The 016 also has some flaws when pushed to the limit.

The 012 is inadequate, many big turbo 4 cylinder (300-350hp) audis can strip gears with aggressive application of the throttle.

Chris M also has adaptors for the ?uzfe engines.

he operates under the BNC products banner and provide good quality stuff, one of the ultima boys here in holland uses his adaptors in his 1uzfe/g50 ultima GTR

Grtz Thomas

Back