Literature on GT40

Hi,
could you please recommend me some literature on GT40? I am still thinking about what my future build should look like. One of the ideas is to make the car with period correct like components (not the original ones but maybe to use the same manufacture if possible or some third party manufacture which is replicating the "feel" / functionality and visual form of the components. I don't mind to use new materials e.g. to make the car lighter, more powerful or to improve the steering / braking. I just would like to accomplish the vintage look and driving experience if possible.

So what do you think is the best source to use. Is there some nice book on the subject?

And finally, in case I would decided to go this route, is there some GT40 replica manufacturer I could use the most of the needed parts from to accomplish my intention or I would end up with mostly custom build?

Thank you very much

What do you think about the Ford GT40 Manual by Gordon Bruce? Is it useful or is there some better option than this (perheps more detailed one).

Mike Pass

Supporter
There is too much to answer here. Check out the build log section. Check out the kit makers websites.Then do a search on each one for what the actual builders opinions are on each one and their experiences with the manufacturers.

Southern GT
Tornado
GTRacing
GTForte

A fair bit of homework but there is a lot to learn.
Cheers
Mike

OK, thank you for the suggestions. And if I wanted something to read also (some book) could you propose any material? I understand that I would probably found all the information needed online, I would just like the book also :)

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
First place to look is here....

It has plates of drawings for parts for the whole car.

Andy

Thank you very much Andy. Do you have some other recommendations? I will get this book by myself but right now I would need something less pricey :D it supposed to be a gift :)

First place to look is here....

It has plates of drawings for parts for the whole car.

Andy

And the one mentioned by Andy describes the car components in the most details?

Hi Martin

For your questions another suggestion could be this old book (1983) which may provide some insights, but as Mike said there is a lot to learn !

Tornado & Southern are both well established replica makers. Indeed Tornado is probably the longest running & most numerous GT40 replica supplier.

Regards Steve

#
nope , don't bother with that.

The Haynes book mentioned earlier is what you want as it has a dedicated parts sections with photos of the individual parts of the car (at least many of them)

Thanks again, and the Ford GT40 Production and Racing History Individual Chassis Record has even more complete parts section? I am mostly interested in MKI 68 and 69.

Thanks again, and the Ford GT40 Production and Racing History Individual Chassis Record has even more complete parts section? I am mostly interested in MKI 68 and 69.
I haven't got that book , its around £300 if you manage to find a second hand copy !
If you want pictures of the Gulf cars the P1075 book mentioned earlier will be usefull

I haven't got that book , its around £300 if you manage to find a second hand copy !
If you want pictures of the Gulf cars the P1075 book mentioned earlier will be usefull

I am mostly after the technical book, pictures would be nice but rather than car history I am interested in technical aspect of the car and it's components.

Hi guys, so I managed to get the Trevor Legate's book (it is on the way now). Do you know if there are some other new information on parts or chassis in GT40 Owner's Workshop Manual from Haynes?

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Martin
join the GT40 Enthusiasts Club

It will cost £35 annually.

once joined purchase the magazine back issues on CD / memory stick. You will have so many pictures and details and enough reading material for a lot of years!

ian

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter

Back