Location Of Addiitonal Water Temp Sensor

Shaun

Supporter
Morning all
Ok so I need to feed 2 water temp sensors on my 302 as its running EFI. Don't really want to put one on the rad side of the thermostat as that would only give a reading when open, would cause issue if the thermostat failed a swell as I would not know.
So I was thinking on my water pump there is a takeoff for the heater matrix which I felt was not needed in a hot bed that is a GT40 so perhaps a 1/2 NPT to 1/8 NPT bush and put it there as I assume (but hence the question) that is fed from the manifold side of the cooling system).
I have seen thermostat housings with tapped take off's for senders but they don't fit my engine I use the SGT made one
Cheers

Morning all
Ok so I need to feed 2 water temp sensors on my 302 as its running EFI. Don't really want to put one on the rad side of the thermostat as that would only give a reading when open, would cause issue if the thermostat failed a swell as I would not know.
So I was thinking on my water pump there is a takeoff for the heater matrix which I felt was not needed in a hot bed that is a GT40 so perhaps a 1/2 NPT to 1/8 NPT bush and put it there as I assume (but hence the question) that is fed from the manifold side of the cooling system).
I have seen thermostat housings with tapped take off's for senders but they don't fit my engine I use the SGT made one
Cheers

My 302 with EFI has the sensors in the intake manifold (on the front). On the right I installed the ECU sensor, on the left the 'gauge'.
The other one on the 'right' is my vent or overfill location to the water reservoir/expansion tank.

You intake doesn't have multiple drilled holes?
1594729040539.png

Shaun

Supporter
Hi Jasper, its got two but one it useless as its so close to the distributor you can't fit a gnats cock in there (a term my old flying instructor used to use a lot, "Nose up a gnats cock me lad"

1594729338320.png

You could consider drilling and tapping one on the water channel on the other half of the block, as on this edelbrock manifold?
for EFI, water temperature is crucial for correct warmup compensation and cold starts.. so you'd prefer to sacrifice on the water temp gauge if you have to find creative solutions.

Shaun

Supporter
Good point Jasper, I may also look at using the heater matrix flow as that is the right side of the thermostat I think....Thanks for the advice really appreciated

What a beautiful forum this is.. not only learning loads on car building, but as a non native speaker learning about words and acronyms I never knew excisted! :D
RCH I had to goole, but :oops::p:p:p:p
gnats cock.. had to goole as well.. those brits hey

Bill Kearley

Supporter
There is no harm in stacking the senders using a T, making sure the EFI is closest to the water flow, the bypass is always flowing. Mine works just fine.

Back