Lola T70 Mk3B (replica) tyres

I have the potential to have tyres manufactured for road legal replica Lola T70 Mk3Bs and other similar cars.
I am in the process of having a replica Lola T70 Mk3 built. Track focused, road legal.
I have been searching for a suitable road legal tyre that will work right AND look right
with no success. Currently the rear choice seems to be 17” rims with 335s or 15” rims with 295s.
I have begun a conversation with a (in my opinion the best) tyre manufacturer for GT40 type car
tyres to manufacture two new tyre sizes. These are the sizes under discussion:
27.5” diameter 14” section width - something like 355/45R15 rears
24.5” diameter 10” section width - something like 270/45R15 fronts
Ideally Y speed rated. Slightly increased diameter to fill arches with 100mm road ride height.
The ball-park initial quotation is in the region of £70-90K to produce tooling, design, develop and manufacture
- including modifying their machinery, with the manufacturer taking on the testing and approval process.
Sadly more than I can afford for a set of tyres. However if there were a number of people who wanted the same thing
- the more the better, but even with a handful of partners with the same interest this could be an option?
We would need to have a consensus on size to suit ‘our’ needs and also a tyre that stands a chance of finding a slightly
wider market…
Due to the progress of my project I am going to need to commit to tyres in the next couple of weeks.
If I don’t find interest in a partnership (Ltd Co) to share underwriting manufacturing costs, I will likely proceed with 17” custom
T70Mk3B wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport 2 or Pirelli P Zero tyres.
I also have T70Mk3B lightweight body panels available and a currently dismantled GTD T70Mk3B with V5 which could be sold as is
or rebuilt to spec… Will be advertising these in due course.
If there is any serious interest in the above - please contact me for more details.
Giles Litton

hi giles,I can not tell where the problem is I'm driving pirelli tires on the road legal no problems.you do not drive like 250 kmh with the lola anymore
gruß meinolf

Attachments

• 10446087_782907441730279_1579377257945580619_o.JPG
    10446087_782907441730279_1579377257945580619_o.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 861
Hello meinolf dwuzet,
The Pirelli tyres are a totally practical solution. I would be interested to know your feelings about the balance of the car on the Pirellis. It is just the aesthetics, the original car would have had higher profile (and wider) tyres on 15" rims. Some people prefer the look of the lower profile tyres and certainly you can accommodate bigger brakes in a 17" rim (who made your wheels please?)
If it is possible, I would like to replicate the look and feel of the very wide, high side wall tyre that is road legal. If this proves impossible, I will likely use 17" rims with either Pirelli P Zero or Michelin PS2 tyres (depending on which is the better compound and likely future availability). Thank you for your thoughts - yours is a good looking car. Best. Giles

hi giles . i have many thoughts for tires. the feeling on the road or racetrack is verry good with pirelli`s . the spring set is soft. for my feeling is 17`rims is not orginal and to big. only altanativ is for my firstone gold strike. is not for 14`width.ihe pirelli is nice square.there is no possibility .
gruß from black forest germany meinolf

Attachments

• LolaT70engine1-vi.JPG
    LolaT70engine1-vi.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 768
  • Lola T70 Mk3b Meinolf Dwuzet.JPG
    Lola T70 Mk3b Meinolf Dwuzet.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 882
  • IMG_3797.JPG
    IMG_3797.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,065

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
The Pantera guys use the Pirelli 345/35-15 extensively on the later wide body cars with up to 14" wheel widths. A good wearing tire that Pirelli makes in batches to support the Lamborghini Countach owners as an oem tire.

The Michelin TB range is also street legal and available in similar widths, but again with shorter sidewalls.

Personally on the GT40 I have two sets of wheels, one with the more street oriented tires still in 15" dia., the other set historic race tread pattern with period correct tire diameter.

Back