LOLA T70 scratch build...

That steering is top quailty made ; you will be very happy with
I do not see any provision for side clamps to hold ? how do you intend to locate laterally ?

Hi Mic,

sorry for not having noticed your questions...:embarassed:

The clamps will need to be custom made (CNC) and I´m currently doing the drawings.

Best,

Marcus

Dash cross beam fitted.

Attachments

• P1030525.jpg
    P1030525.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 610
  • P1030527.jpg
    P1030527.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 554
  • P1030531.jpg
    P1030531.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 589
Hi Marcus. Glad to see things progressing. Hope you're not going to forget to put the holes for the fuel filler in that dash panel before you fit it....

Darren

Attachments

• HU 76-160 (39).jpg
    HU 76-160 (39).jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 754
Hi Darren,

yes thank you. That´s what I need to do next but first wanted to have it in the exact position above the filler holes of the sidepods.

Best,

Marcus

Marcus,

I like:

How tidy and clean is your workshop

How clean is your building table and your fixtures

attention to details

Very, very inspirational actualy!

one of my favorite build log. I'd just like to see more progress more often :thumbsup:

olivier

Assembled brake hats and discs. Although I didn´t want to damage these rare originals, I´ve come to learn that because of the extremly tight fit you mustn´t be too shy when tapping them together.

Attachments

• P1030540.jpg
    P1030540.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 605
  • P1030541.jpg
    P1030541.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 458
Hello Marcus
Tight fit ????? if I remember ( long years ago !!! LOL) in those bells disc have a lateral play ? Lola did that to prevent disc to do shimy on wheels and also for the drivers to have always a "hardbrake pedal" due to the fact with flotting dics pads are always pusched away at maximun place on the caliper ?
But may be am missing something ?

Not a really tight fit, they are made to very close tolerances so there was some fettling to be done.

I started by just radiusing the square corners of the brake hats/disc bells so the disc's could start to engage and then gently tapped them together.

Once the car has been run they will free off quite quickly.

Best,

Marcus

Glad to see you made the hole's a decent size :) It sure helps when you're trying to fit the tank filler neck in there.
As the other guys have said, the disc's should actually float on the bells, even have a bit of a rattle, but as long as they're not binding they'll soon free up.
Anyway, looking good.
Regards
Darren.

Marcus:
You should be able to slide a feeler gauge between the mounting ring and the disc mounting ears. When the disc is tight against the brake hat. Not sure how much float you should have. Usually the manufacturer specifies float.
Also when you mount your calipers you leave room for the disc to expand also.

Marcus,

the lads are quite right in what they say.

They must have expansion play and you should not have to even GENTLY tap them into place. You could end up with a very messy front end if they let go through cracking or even disintergrating.

Marcus

Do not expect on the first lapsruns the discs do become loose immediatly , its too bad to risk with an kick overheating to crack one or two front one's
Whe doing the "runout" of new pads and discs you need to apply a long force to the pedal ,during this moment discs comes to temp and if they are not loose they start immadiatly to twist and stress is in !
The day you start to brake hard casting of materail disc having memory cracs will come few by few and more and more ( this is typical to watch when runaout was badly done or if discs where far too tighten

This why some years after in the 80's brakes manufacturer change cast material to fit" solid" on bells but asking specific alu material for bell plus radial cuts on these bells and also an hard anodising of 17 microns thick

Hope this helps

Remember too ;
When doing disc and pad runout place your balance bar brake lot of turns to rear brakes for minimum 3 laps
LOL but from what where you are just a few more rivets needed LOL
Bon courage

Wooooooohhh
Coming more and more nicely !!
Soonly some "madame Marcus " will need to wear gloves for riveting :laugh:

Back