Longest Street Drive in SLC

In my cobra I went from Toronto to Lake George NY, took backroads and it was an 8hr trip.
Cheers Ray

You must have been cruising. We did Toronto to Lake Placid in a Kia Soul in 6 hours.............ok, we took the 401 highway to Ogdensburg :drunk:

Cody DeHart

Supporter
My wife and I purchased our SL-C from Warren Kreyer from Madison Wi and we drove it from his house to Houston Tx; taking some detours to jump on some fun roads we managed to rack up just over 1,400 miles in two days.

We are wanting to do a coast to coast run or a boarder to boarder run in the SL-C...but not actually driving into Mexico. If anyone would be interested send me a PM. No date has been set to do this.

Hi Cody, nice purchase! I've read a bit about Warren's car and it certainly sounds like a good example with a huge amount of power!
enjoy.
cheers
Stuart

post up some more pics of it when you get a chance! from memory it's running a stroked LS7 around 460 cubic inches with circa 700hp?

Cody DeHart

Supporter
post up some more pics of it when you get a chance! from memory it's running a stroked LS7 around 460 cubic inches with circa 700hp?[/QUOTE

Warren told me it is an LS7 stroked to a 441 cubic inch with LS3 ported and polished heads and intake. He said this makes the engine more reliable and able to beat on it without worrying about tearing the motor up....All I know is it runs really strong.

Attachments

• ftont doors open.jpg
    ftont doors open.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 322
  • hide2.jpg
    hide2.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 345
  • lrg-2116-rear_engine_pic_2.jpg
    lrg-2116-rear_engine_pic_2.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 315
  • seats.jpg
    seats.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 360
Just out of curiosity, why don't more folks drive it regularly in city streets, stop lights in traffic errands etc? Is it a comfort thing or an overheating thing?

I built a stiff high hp tarmac rally car on a JDM platform that I drove 35K miles in 2 years. In my mind I'd drive the hell out of an SLC but I don't generally read about people doing that so it makes me wonder. People do with Z06's but not don't with Ferrari's due to depreciation but an SLC? Seems it be more akin to owing a Z06's. Just curious why they are not driven daily like one.

I think a part of it is due to insurance contracts. For example: my SLR was not supposed to be used for "daily driving to include; going to work, getting errands, etc". My insurance was rated at 6k miles a year and "only" for hobby related drives, meetings, car shows, poker runs, etc.

But I still drove my SLR to work a couple days a week.

Ahhh, that makes sense, I assume it is specialty insurance like Grundy and that is typical of specialty cars. I actually called Grundy and a few others and got insurance quotes but none of them mentioned that type of stipulation. I will need to check a bit more. Thanks!

All of those stipulations are under the contractual agreement upon signing up. Over the phone or email, they won't talk about it because (probably) 95% of owners wouldn't dare driving their classic cars through traffic. There's just too many chances for an accident or breakdown.

Whenever I get my next RCR car, I'll definitely road trip the thing along the PCH, or through some National Parks like Yellowstone, Glacier, Pikes Peak, Death Valley (during early spring-it's beautiful during that time), etc. I'll grand tour an SLC any day of the week. I'm still young enough not to get those aches and pains of being in a street legal Le Mans style car. That's also why I only want to do a mild-ish build... Like 450 hp and slightly softer dampening rates. I love road trips. I do it yearly on my BMW motorcycle. But I love cars too. So now I want to do those kinds of trips in something very fun and memorable.

Coast to coast with no fill ups...sealed tanks.....

We will stop as there is no need to drive straight through...this has been on the cards for over a year...just finishing up the car and starting the test runs.

Don't think I've seen any other info on this. Still in the cards, already happened? Inquiring minds want to know...

Just out of curiosity, why don't more folks drive it regularly in city streets, stop lights in traffic errands etc? Is it a comfort thing or an overheating thing?

I built a stiff high hp tarmac rally car on a JDM platform that I drove 35K miles in 2 years. In my mind I'd drive the hell out of an SLC but I don't generally read about people doing that so it makes me wonder. People do with Z06's but not don't with Ferrari's due to depreciation but an SLC? Seems it be more akin to owing a Z06's. Just curious why they are not driven daily like one.

because it becomes very taxing very quickly and not much fun in short order for regular city driving. Driving it isn't remotely the same as a lambo or z06. I wouldn't hesitant to drive my lambo into town; sl-c or cobra or 917, nah, not worth the headache, I'm staying home.

anybody who has overheating problems didn't build/bleed their cooling setup properly or lives in an area where it's 200* outside.

Don't think I've seen any other info on this. Still in the cards, already happened? Inquiring minds want to know...

Hi John, we did the cross country trip in Late June. It was a big success besides the nearly unbearable heat inside/outside. The AC wasn't up to the task of the 100F+ outside air temps and 100% humidity in the South. Remember that our SLC did not have the same level of heat shielding and sound deadening materials due to weight considerations.

The car itself was between 160F - 170F the whole way on engine temp though so it is incredibly efficient in regards to staying cool.

There is lots of info on our facebook page CLP Motorsports and our website, CLP Motorsports | Performance Engineering

Thanks
Pat

Back