Looking for pictures of a full rollcage

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
It's in the Netherlands almost impossible to get street legal papers with a home build car
If it is for track *ONLY* and not used on the public streets and highways, then build the strongest cage you can with particular attention paid to side impact. Side impact with a GT40 is your riskiest area of concern. Much more so than roll-over.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Fuel tank is moving to an other place
And do not place the cross tubing so high as seen on the last picture
Where else will you fit a fuel tank? No space in front of driver, no space between driver and firewall, no space behind transaxle. Perhaps a cell instead of a passenger seat? I would rather have the side tanks and metal separating them from the cockpit!

ian

Where else will you fit a fuel tank? No space in front of driver, no space between driver and firewall, no space behind transaxle. Perhaps a cell instead of a passenger seat? I would rather have the side tanks and metal separating them from the cockpit!

ian
Left and right from my engine 2 small tanks
I have space there enough
The engine is a 6cil in line m88 bmw

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Left and right from my engine 2 small tanks
I have space there enough
The engine is a 6cil in line m88 bmw
Interesting engine choice. What length is it? I presume longer than a V8!
if you are just looking at a shadow vehicle, perhaps copy a M1?

Ian

John,

My point of view,

What you are planning to build is not allowed to race at any class,

So you are building it for public track days purpose only.
That will be an expensive build for just a few track sessions at Zandvoort, Assen and the Spa open pitlane sessions.

That 3,5 straight six won’t fit length wise. Not even a 5 cylinder Audi engine will fit length wise in a GT40.

Fuel tanks in the engine bay, is a bad idea, thats a very hot environment..

Consider also, a GT40 takes normally 10 years to build. I am doing it in four years, but I am consistent putting at least 30 hours in it each week. Corona Quality time.

If it’s a track day car only, you’d better consider buying that Bonito that’s for sale in Eindhoven
Marketplace - Fiberfab Bonito | Facebook.
Replace that VW engine with a Subaru STI engine and you have a street legal canon, more reliable than the BMW M88 engine (& more horsepower and tuning capability’s).

If you insist on a roll cage in a GT40, and consider, none of the full race FIA GT40 have a cage (ask yourself why) (read the other topic I posted in my previous reply), there are just a few cage builders I trust to build me a cage.
Rens Mali from Rematech near Gorinchem is one of them.

For pictures, read that other topic I posted in my previous reply, photo’s in that topic where taken last year at Zandvoort Historic GrandPrix.

Ill guess you might be as stubborn like any other Dutch men….
Wooden shoes, Wooden head, Wouldn’t listen.

Guess who is saying that… I qualify for all three..

M88 has 460hp and wil fit in my chassis and audi 6 speed box
Yes it gone be a trackday car
And I trust my cage build 100% myself
There are no fia gt40 with tubular chassis only mono I think
And I don't want a stupid Bonito
Time doesn't bother me
I have a e36 325 racer and a van diemen I mean part vandiemen part myself

So, as I said, wooden shoes, wooden head, wouldn't listen...
Of gewoon in moers taal, jij red je wel.
En aangezien je raced met een 325 dan weet je ook wie Rens Mali is.

So, as I said, wooden shoes, wooden head, wouldn't listen...
Of gewoon in moers taal, jij red je wel.
En aangezien je raced met een 325 dan weet je ook wie Rens Mali is.
Ff in moeders taal ja dat weet ik maar bouw al jaren kooien en ik red me er prima mee buigwerk word gedaan met een doornbank
Naadloze buis van de juiste maten
Ik race niet in een klasse maar vrijrijden wimedo slalom enz

Die M88 is langer als een V8. Het achterschot staat schuin achterover in een GT40. Een smallblok V8 past daar met een ingekorte waterpomp met een vingerdikte net tussen (met een bult in het inspectie luik) Dat achterschot kan niet verder naar voren want dan pas je zelf niet meer in de auto. Boven de 1meter80 word het zowiezo al krap in de GT40.

In mijn eerdere post staat een link naar een rolkooi topic. Daar staan ook detail foto's van een Duitser die ik vorig jaar gespot heb. Maar lees vooral ook de artikelen.
Ik heb GT40's zien crashen op Spa, en de coureurs hebben het overleeft omdat er geen rolkooi in zat, ook de replicas met een squaretube chsssis.

Die M88 is langer als een V8. Het achterschot staat schuin achterover in een GT40. Een smallblok V8 past daar met een ingekorte waterpomp met een vingerdikte net tussen (met een bult in het inspectie luik) Dat achterschot kan niet verder naar voren want dan pas je zelf niet meer in de auto. Boven de 1meter80 word het zowiezo al krap in de GT40.

In mijn eerdere post staat een link naar een rolkooi topic. Daar staan ook detail foto's van een Duitser die ik vorig jaar gespot heb. Maar lees vooral ook de artikelen.
Ik heb GT40's zien crashen op Spa, en de coureurs hebben het overleeft omdat er geen rolkooi in zat, ook de replicas met een squaretube chsssis.
76cm is een m88/1 blok dit past echt wel in de 94cm die ik heb
Ik ga niet racen zonder kooi dan kan ik met vrijrijden alleen in een toerklasse rijden daar heb ik echt geen behoefte aan

Please it is so difficult to give an on topic answer I ask for information about a roll cage and then it is about how expensive how long it takes to build buy another car I only ask information about a roll cage

I only ask information about a roll cage
Again, as I posted this in my first reply, read this topic, it has all the info you need including pictures.

We built a cage for a car that was used in an over-the-road race (can't remember the name). The triangular door brace pivoted at the front (top and bottom of the front roll hoop) and was pinned at the back to allow access to the cockpit. It may have met the safety requirements, but I wouldn't do it again.

I hope to start next week with the build and will see how it comes together
Order this week the most of the steel profile 40x40x2

Back