LS7 dry sump oil tank plumbing

I am looking for a little help with plumbing a Peterson dry sump oil tank to my LS7. I have installed the adapter plate on the oil pan which has an "in" and "out" fitting, but the tank has three inlets. Certainly one goes out to the in line on the oil pan the other in an in line from the oil pan. Where does the other inlet route to?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 2,500
The fitting on a tangent at the top is for the pump output, the fitting at the bottom goes to the "IN" on the pan. and the very top fitting is for a breather.

Thanks Will. This is very helpful. One other question. On the oil pump outlet there appears to be a quick connect fitting. Where can this fitting be sourced or do you know the fitting sizes to convert to standard AN fittings?

Thanks Will. This is very helpful. One other question. On the oil pump outlet there appears to be a quick connect fitting. Where can this fitting be sourced or do you know the fitting sizes to convert to standard AN fittings?

I bought my fitting adapters from Peterson when I bought the tank- they know all about the fittings sizes, and what needs to be done at the pan (which is the only connection to the tank aside from the breather, BTW).

But they are available from many other sources now, as the LS7 has become more popular. For example, here's one from Jegs:

Chevrolet Performance LS7 Oil Hose Adapter Kit - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS

You'll want to use -12 fittings and hose.

About to start my oiling system and was hoping this thread was going to be my road map, until I looked at my tank and saw 4 fittings instead of 3... I am assuming the one all the way on top is for a breather, the bottom fitting goes to the "In" on the pan and one of the middle 2 fittings hooks up to the "out" on the pan. What is the 4th fitting supposed to be used for? Thanks, Ryan
IMG_2967_zps4da4a593.jpg
IMG_2967_zps4da4a593.jpg

Ken Roberts

Supporter
The other fitting in question is for a second scavenging line to the oil tank. This would be used if you were running with the factory LS7 oil pump and you had a second external pump or you had a custom pump setup with two scavenging sections.

If you are using the stock LS7 oiling system then you are only using one. The other one can be capped.

Last edited:
Are you guys all using the Peterson 3 gallon 08-0009 ? I took some measurements and that seems like the one that would fit in there good. All the other ones seemed to tall.

What are you guys using for a breather tank, if any? And where are you mounting it?
Thanks

Troy,

Yes, the 0009 is the single inlet 3 gallon tank of choice for single scavenge setup (stock LS7 config). The 0010 tank is what Ryan is showing for a dual scavenge setup (with an added external scavenge pump). I have a used single inlet 3 gallon tank I could let go at a good price as I have a dual scavenge setup. You can always use a dual inlet manifold attached to a 0009 tank if you decide to change to a dual scavenge setup in the future.

Troy I did some research on breathers yesterday. It looks like the simplest is a breather Peterson makes which screws right into the -12AN outlet on the top of the 0009 or 0010 Peterson tank, but I don't know if this is the right move for an LS7 (or if that will fit in our car as they don't provide dimensions on the site). Peterson also makes a breather specific to the LS7 which has a line that goes to the top of the oil tank as well as two lines for the cylinder heads. I don't know enough to decide which one is best, I was going to call Peterson this week to discuss, will let you know what they say.

Doc, PM me and we can see about getting it.

I plan on using the Daily eng 3 stage on a custom LS build and this has one outlet and one inlet so the single works good.

I was wondering if just a standard type of oil catch can can work fun and just mount it up a little higher on the rear firewall to make it easy to drain every once in a while. I think that does not have to be big money.

Re the Dailey Eng system, I'm using one on a SBF. It will pull a lot of vacuum, which means there will be a lot of air expelled out somewhere, you can hope the breather. The problem one can encounter is the oil mist. I got around this by using a bottom breathing breather and then routing another hose from the bottom to outside the body work. When viewed while running it looks like a choo choo train, but at least I don't have the oil mist inside the engine compartment. I'm not sure the breather catches it all. The guy that makes this also made my tank, he recommended using -16 breather lines, I can see why.

Here is what I used. This was not installed on a RCR product, yet.

https://lefthanderchassis.com/v2a/viewproduct_product.asp?idproduct=15602216

Last edited:
Mark
That looks good, but how does it breath out the bottom?

Does anyone have pics of their breathers mounted? Just wondering where would be best. I am thinking I might make one to fit nice if all else fails.

Troy here's what I used and where I mounted them fit perfect.
Next to the oil catch can is the rad catch can both fit like they were made for the car.

Attachments

• _MG_6187.jpg
    _MG_6187.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 1,638
  • _MG_6188.jpg
    _MG_6188.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 1,149
Mark
That looks good, but how does it breath out the bottom?

Does anyone have pics of their breathers mounted? Just wondering where would be best. I am thinking I might make one to fit nice if all else fails.

I wondered about that too. If I remember right, the hole in the bottom funnels up reducing as it goes to a smaller diameter, which I don't remember the size of. In the bottom there is a foam piece. So the air enters and hits the cone or not, then has to rise to enter the funnel where it exits out the bottom through the foam piece, or in my case through an exhaust tube, the bottom hole is a little over an inch I believe. The petcock for the drain is where the oil accumulates surrounding the internal cone.

I can't remember if I removed the foam in lieu of the exhaust tube as I pondered this but there is a considerable amount of oil mist that exhausts out the tube.

That looks like a good place for it. I did not know if anyone mounted it up really high on the rear firewall and if there was even room when the engine was in. As long as it works there that is a good spot. I plan on running an oil cooler on one side with the side vent so I need to makes sure I keep room for that, but I think it will be fine.

Is that the moroso 16an one?

What is the other one for?

Piecing together comments from different threads and using a Peterson Dry Sump tank like the 3 gallon one here Peterson Fluid Systems : Standard Oil Tanks, it looks like:

1) The crankcase breather lines #2 and #4 (See Ken's post #145 here: http://www.gt40s.com/forum/slc-clubhouse/36495-deans-slc-build-thread-8.html) need to be tied in to a line halfway between the MAF sensor and the throttle body on the intake tube.

2) The lines in (1), above need to be tied in to the dry sump system

3) The top fitting on the dry sump tank is for a breather and needs to be connected to some kind of oil catch can to trap the oil mist

4) One possible oil catch can is this one: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...cL1EE6nW5aSgYqvO_ns5bWVdxx-y-gtN2EaAsBT8P8HAQ which has one AN12 fitting on it (matching the Peterson Dry Sump tank)

Given all this:

a) Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how to tie it all together?
b) Do the crankcase breather lines and intake line in (1) simply "T" into the line from the Dry Sump tank to the catch can like in the attached diagram?
c) Does elevation of the connections matter (e.g. to prevent oil mist from contaminating the intake?)
d) Any recommendations on source for an adapter to get from 11/32" lines to AN12?

Thanks for any input!

Attachments

• Dry Sump Plumbing.jpg
    Dry Sump Plumbing.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 2,382
Back