Lucas Wiper Motor Placement

Where are you guys locating your wiper motor? What if I mount mine here on a bracket to be fabricated with the drive cable running through a hole marked by the black circle on the chassis?

wiper%20motor.jpg

Bill D

Bill
I located mine under the access panel in front of my windscreen. We have different chassis, and I originally was going to locate the motor exactly where you have yours, which is fine in my opinion, but I decided to put mine completely out of the way and have the drive cable run essentially straight to the the transmission. I have seen these motors in various locations in front of the windscreen, and I can tell you that whatever works is probably fine. I can take a photo of my mounting if you need a look.
Cheers
Phil

I would not put it where you have it. The more bend you have in the cable the slower it runs due to the extra friction. You want to mount it so that the cable is as straight as you can get it.

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Bill,
I'll second Jonathans comments....."as straight as possible". Motor will run faster, under less load, and reduced chance of squeeking inside the tube.
Mine is installed an operational, I mounted it under the dash attached to the spare tire well. Here are a couple pics...

Attachments

• P1080011a.JPG
    P1080011a.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 693
  • P1080009a.JPG
    P1080009a.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 666

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
I'm after one of those wiper motors for my Europa, anyone know a good place to buy at a realistic price?

Thanks Ross

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
????? Bill, didn't you get yours from RCR???

Hey Ross,
I too got mine from RCR.

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Thanks Bill that is exactly the beast I want, and it looks like I can just buy the motor and fit my other parts. Only problem is that pesky pound is worth 2.5 of our Aussie dollars.
Compliments of the season
Ross

Bill
No photo yet but the one Rob posted is real close to what I did...essentially a straight run to the transmission. As far as the arm I got one from my local NAPA store, and you can mount any blade length to it you may need. They had an arm assembly that matched the spline on the Lucas unit I had so it was pretty easy.
I got my motor from a Jag, but I think MG used the same motor in a lot of vehicles especially the midget which I believe had three wipers running off the same unit. The biggest issue is avoiding sharp bends and making sure the tube is well lubed and it will give good service.
The Napa part number is 60-725 or 60-750 depending on the size of the spline on the drive.
Cheers
Phil

Every British and low-production car in the world used the same Lucas motor (or a variation of it), and the same gearboxes, with only minor tweaks for different cars (the chrome bezel on the gearbox may have had different angles to accomodate different windshield angles). I have experience with them because they were used on the De Tomaso Pantera (and the Mangusta too, I believe), but they were also used on every Jaguar, AC, Cobra, Hillman, Mini, etc. etc. etc. ad infinitum. So if you happen to be in a country other than England, a local (or local-ish) vintage British car parts supplier (particularly Jaguar) should be able to hook you right up.

Page "V" (that's the letter Vee, not Roman numeral 5) of the original factory parts book shows the setup for the wiper system, presumably in its original orientation. It shows the wiper motor mounted on the left side of the car, with the cable running through the housing to the gearbox, entering it from the left of course. It also shows the standard Lucas washer bottle, screen pump and bracket; based on the drawing apparently it was mounted somewhere with the bracket facing aft, and the bottle facing forward, with the pump on the right side and filler on the left. This part is also common to every British car on the planet, easy to find, and cheap.

Cheers!

Hope this works, I've just posted a copy of "page Vee" from the parts book in the gallery section. Will try to put a link into this thread for it.

index.php

BTW the original 1965 price was £7 0s 0d for the motor, 12s for the gearbox, 7d for the bundy tube and £1 13s 0d for the wiper arm and blade (all old style money before we decimalised) :)

Back