Main Coolant line diameters

Hi All:

Can anyone tell me the diameters of their main coolant lines running through the chassis? Material and wall thickness would be helpful also.

Thanks Dave

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi All:

Can anyone tell me the diameters of their main coolant lines running through the chassis? Material and wall thickness would be helpful also.

Thanks Dave

HI Dave,

The coolant lines on my RCR are 1.5" in diameter stainless steel.
You can find some pictures on my build site here;
GT-Forty.com

I don't have a wall thickness for you - unfortunately.. It's about as thick as an exhaust pipe.

I am using AN16 lines back in the engine bay.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
On my car they are 1.5". We also used SS tubes- I think they are 316L. There is a flared section near the end of each one to help retain the hose. We also wrapped the pipes that run through the tunnel with fiberglass woven exhaust wrap, tied it in place with SS wire, and then shrink-wrapped the whole thing. The idea here is to try to keep the heat in the tubes and not have it radiate through the tunnel walls and cook the occupants of the car. We are also going to insulate over the tunnel with Dynamat or something like it which has a Mylar barrier in it to reject heat. These cars have very little ventilation and a lot of glass area, plus the engine right behind the bulkhead- a sure recipe for a hot time in the cockpit area. I think this may have been less of a problem in race use as a lot of air was flowing through. For the kinds of uses we have for these cars, ventilation DOES matter and keeping heat out matters, too.

Hi Guys:

Thanks. It seems alot of guys have heat in the drivers compartment problems. I hope the air conditioner unit will help. I will take your advice and insulate them well.

Back