Making your own chassis - unique to GT40s?

Ron Earp

Admin
SpeedQuest said:
Because no completed kit on the market will weigh less than 2000 pounds!

Not sure about that, we're thinking the RCR Lola T70 Spider will come in under that, I certainly hope so. None have been finished so hard to say. We're paying attention to weight to see if we can make it so. But I hear what you are saying.

Ron

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Ron Earp said:
Not sure about that, we're thinking the RCR Lola T70 Spider will come in under that, I certainly hope so. None have been finished so hard to say. We're paying attention to weight to see if we can make it so. But I hear what you are saying.

Ron

Good luck with your effort Ron. I think we were probably only thinking of GT40 kits.

You're ahead of the game already with a T70 Spyder. No roof, no screen, smaller doors. Now you've got me wondering why I went with a GT40!!!

Cheers

Come on you guys, we all know they have less drag with a roof, The Daytona Coupe picked up several mph over the roadster, The T70 coupe was faster and Im fairly sure if I looked up some lap times for the open GT40 the same would apply.

Peter D , I dont think hairstyles was in the 'options' list Russ has for his car, Its all about going fast, or faster than the opposition, or so he tells me!

Jac Mac

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Hey fellas, don't give me a hard time! I haven't even got a wife. I got rid of her so I could have a life! Actually now I come to think of it, it might have been her that got rid of me for the same reason! Talk about both living happily everafter! Wonderful. :)

Actually Peter D, Ron's the one who forgot to order the roof. You better ask him the question. And Jac Mac, stop blabbing! I don't mind being slow so long as the opposition is going slower!!

Cheers

Last edited:
Quote:

Exactly, had nothing to do with Indy. It is simply just that largest group of self-proclaimed motor heads are NASCAR fans and I submit they wouldn't know Lola from Lotus, and would identify with neither.

That ain't fair Ron, I love NASCAR and Lola is is the cute girl that works at the diner and Lotus is one of them thar positions she can do from her yogi class. :) So thar.

I think most people that start a kit for the first time don't try a GT40 but the much easier to build Cobra. Once someone has experience they are willing to try a GT40 and some try to build their own chassie due to expence and some just have the skill to build their own.

Jim

Ron Earp

Admin
jac mac said:
Come on you guys, we all know they have less drag with a roof, The Daytona Coupe picked up several mph over the roadster, The T70 coupe was faster and Im fairly sure if I looked up some lap times for the open GT40 the same would apply.

With similar power I'm sure the coupes are faster for these "large" shapes. On our Spec Miatas it is legal to run with no hard top. But at Virginia International Raceway this open top option will cost you 7mph (emperical data, measured and verified many times) compared to the hard top, and this is at speeds that only approach 115mph. You can bet that translates into a lap time difference. If we could get the Miatas up to 150mph the difference would be much larger. Drag is a horrible thing!

However, given the shapes of the Lola Coupe and Spiders I doubt there is as much difference in drag with these two cars as between the two Miatas. But there would be a difference, no doubt there!

jac mac said:

Jac Mac

I don't think that it is necessarily so. The leading LeMans cars of today are roofless. Its all about design, but point taken with regards to the older cars.

Jac,
That is some very impressive bodywork there. I guess it proves that I'm not the only person in the world crazy enough to want to build one. I guess it also proves that there are some other scratch builds around other than GT40s. FYI. If I'm not mistaken that body is based on the 767B which is very similar to the 787B and every bit as pretty.

Back