Manta Cars

Neil

Supporter
The original Mirage prototype ("MANTA 1"?) was built by Manta Cars when they were located in a facility in Costa Mesa, CA. Unfortunately the factory was destroyed in a fire which also burned that prototype. The original car can be seen in a brief scene in the movie "Gone In Sixty Seconds" and in this old photo (below) taken probably by Tim LoVette. The wheels appear to be American Racing Torque-Thrust magnesium instead of the Jongbloed Modular Wheels they used on their later prototype, MANTA 2, which was built in their new shop in Santa Ana, CA. Otherwise little was changed from the original. Of course, MANTA 2 was red with "Shaky Jake" pin striping and they added rear-view mirrors atop its front fenders.
This car was first introduced to the public at Riverside Raceway, CA in 1973 during practice for the Can- Am race. A crashed Lola was loaded onto a trailer but the car on that trailer- covered by a tarp- had to be rolled off to make room for the Lola and after the tarp was removed, everyone in the paddock came running to look at this car. At that time, a strong rumor had been circulating about a new "street McLaren" that was soon to be introduced, so everyone naturally assumed that the Manta Mirage was this rumored McLaren. Brad LoVette, who had been the crew chief for the Lola was also owner with his brother, Tim, of Manta Cars, in Costa Mesa, CA. He explained to the assembled multitude that it was not a McLaren, but it was his prototype for a kit car that his company would soon be selling. NOBODY believed him and everyone left- firmly convinced that they had gotten a glimpse of the phantom car from NZ.
Manta I prototype Costa Mesa, CA a.jpg

Neil

Supporter
Joline and I attended the Tucson Classics Car Show on Saturday. We got back from the Tucson Classics Car Show last evening and unloaded the car. . Many really nice cars and lots of people there for the show. All the kids had been told by their parents "Don't touch anything" but I let them sit on the driver's side door sill , holding the removable steering wheel so they could have their parents take their picture. I lost count at 30 kids and I guess there may have been 100 by the end of the show. They were thrilled and the parents thanked us for letting them do that. Why not? It is a race car, the kids didn't hurt anything and maybe It generated a little enthusiasm. It was a fun day!

Loaded on trailer.jpg

Neil

Supporter
Since I tested positive for Covid-19 a while ago. my health has taken a nose dive so I am considering putting my Manta Mirage on the market. This is the red street car, "MANTA 2", which was the factory-built demonstrator that Manta Cars in their showroom in Santa Ana, CA. This car is the one shown in their advertising brochures and magazine articles.
It is powered by a '69 Corvette 350, alleged to have 400BHP and it uses a late-model beefed-up Corvair transaxle. Disc brakes all around and new Hoosier tires on Jongbloed modular wheels. I've had this car in storage for quite a while as I was building my black Mirage race car. Not perfect, but pretty nice for being almost 50 years old! These photos were taken this afternoon when I rolled it out for a quick wash. My original restoration shows quite a bit of detail.
$30k USD.
20240219_161557.jpg

20240219_161640.jpg
20240219_161656.jpg
20240219_161618.jpg
20240219_160902.jpg

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Ooooooo……. If only……..
I’ve been a Manta fan from the beginning!

Joel K

Supporter
Sorry you’re not feeling 100% Neil, that is a great car and I’m sure someone will make you a nice offer.

Last edited:
Neil,
Were are all certainly pleased you are feeling better.

Any shots of the interior and engine compartments?
What are the blocks under the fender mirrors?
Jongbloed (sp?) wheels?

Neil

Supporter
Neil,
Were are all certainly pleased you are feeling better.

Any shots of the interior and engine compartments?
What are the blocks under the fender mirrors?
Jongbloed (sp?) wheels?
Thanks- I still have a way to go...
Yes, those are Jongbloed wheels. Spun aluminum half rims with forged center sections- "three-piece modular" wheels. REALLY expensive. I visited Bill Jongbloed when he had his shop over at the Chino airport and gave him a template of what I needed for back clearance. He fabbed just what I needed.
I'll try to get engine & interior shots tomorrow.

I just saw a video you had done on this car, good stuff.
From the color of your hair in some of the shots ..... you've had it for awhile (?)
:D

Back