Mark I Road Cars

Of the approximate 31 road models built, I have seen some with and without the twin, tall aluminum luggage boxes straddling the exhaust. Doing research and looking to find out if they were standard equipment or optional? I know that all seven of the Mark IIIs came with standard single luggage box. Anyone? Thanks, martyn

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Martyn, as far as i know, all the FAV cars left Slough with luggage boxes. Possibly to do with the FIA & homologation ?
Though i stand to be corrected.

Martyn, as far as i know, all the FAV cars left Slough with luggage boxes. Possibly to do with the FIA & homologation ?
Though i stand to be corrected.
I'm sure you are correct. I saw some mentions of the luggage boxes included in list of options when describing a couple of MK I Road cars. I have another question, this time about the seven MK IIIs. I've seen photos of a couple that had fender-mounted parking lamps ( #M3/1105 at the Petersen Museum), while most, like M3/1101 that I drove in 1967) had them behind plexi flanking the grille. Any thoughts?

I'm sure you are correct. I saw some mentions of the luggage boxes included in list of options when describing a couple of MK I Road cars. I have another question, this time about the seven MK IIIs. I've seen photos of a couple that had fender-mounted parking lamps ( #M3/1105 at the Petersen Museum), while most, like M3/1101 that I drove in 1967) had them behind plexi flanking the grille. Any thoughts?

Hi Martyn,

John Allen and myself are working on a new book and this topic is covered in some depth. If you'd like to message me we can discuss this further. I would be interested to hear more about your road test.

Regards,

Graham.

Graham: I would love to hear from you. Use my email, [email protected] I'm building a Roy Lunn Archive, worked with him between 2013-2015, first met him at the Ford GT reveal in NYC in April, 1964. I nominated him for induction into the Automotive Hall of Fame and presented the package to the board in 2015. He was inducted in 2016, passed away a year later.
My endgame is to write a book about his life and times in the industry, from the Aston Martin DB2 Le Mans to his post-retirement work at AM General to get the Humvee into compliance for sale to the military. I drove M3/1101 in 1967 for cover story in Hi-Performance CARS magazine. I was the editor. Look forward to hearing from you, martyn

Graham: I would love to hear from you. Use my email, [email protected] I'm building a Roy Lunn Archive, worked with him between 2013-2015, first met him at the Ford GT reveal in NYC in April, 1964. I nominated him for induction into the Automotive Hall of Fame and presented the package to the board in 2015. He was inducted in 2016, passed away a year later.
My endgame is to write a book about his life and times in the industry, from the Aston Martin DB2 Le Mans to his post-retirement work at AM General to get the Humvee into compliance for sale to the military. I drove M3/1101 in 1967 for cover story in Hi-Performance CARS magazine. I was the editor. Look forward to hearing from you, martyn

Hi Martyn,

E-mail heading your way.

Roy Lunn certainly had massive effect within the auto industry so it will be very interesting to hear more about him.

Regards,

Graham.

Hi Martyn,

E-mail heading your way.

Roy Lunn certainly had massive effect within the auto industry so it will be very interesting to hear more about him.

Regards,

Graham.
Here's the issue that carried my driving the first production Mark III in and around New York City.
CARS GT40 - 1.jpg

Ian Clark

Supporter
I've seen photos of a couple that had fender-mounted parking lamps ( #M3/1105 at the Petersen Museum), while most, like M3/1101 that I drove in 1967) had them behind plexi flanking the grille. Any thoughts?

I suspect the Mk111s' equipped as in the quote have KVA sourced front body panels. Over the years some Mk111s were seen fitted with Mk1 front and rear clips.

Then as the value of these cars climbed it made sense to restore them back to Mk111 configuration. If the original panels were lost or damaged in the interim, where do you go?

Just saying if the suspicion is correct, please don't shoot me if you own an original Mk111 with exposed front parking/turn lamps.

Cheers
Ian

I suspect the Mk111s' equipped as in the quote have KVA sourced front body panels. Over the years some Mk111s were seen fitted with Mk1 front and rear clips.

Then as the value of these cars climbed it made sense to restore them back to Mk111 configuration. If the original panels were lost or damaged in the interim, where do you go?

Just saying if the suspicion is correct, please don't shoot me if you own an original Mk111 with exposed front parking/turn lamps.

Cheers
Ian

This style was fitted to the two prototype MkIIIs, 1101 and 1102; when they were "productionised", they were fitted with the production MkIII bodywork which replaced the driving light and indicator with a combined unit.

Regards,

Graham.

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Graham, thanks for the additional information. These were very much hand built cars with many variables. Much appreciated.

Cheers
Ian

Alan, I'll stick my neck out & say most (or all), along with the blue oval sill badges.
Some like GT40/P1059 have subsequently lost the badges.

Steve

Thanks Steve. Just a dumb question if the FORD went onto the road cars did any Race spec cars keep them on after conversion. Simply was there a road car GT40 that was race specc'd and kept the FORD lettering?

The few times I've seen road cars at races, the FORD letters had been removed from the car, but some still had the ash trays (I can't remember who, but there was a well known driver who kept hard candies in their ash tray).

I think one of the converted Mk I road cars that I saw was 1058.

Back