MB E320 CDI Experiences?

Ron Earp

Admin
Anyone have any experiences with a Mercedes 320CDI, later model like being sold now and 1-2 years old? My parents were interested in a new used car and I'd suggested one of these to them just based on driving one and car reviews. But, that never tells the whole story as they could be a POS and one not know it until it was too late........

It is bad enough keeping up with race cars and fun cars with respect to repair and maintenance. But throw in your daily driver too, and all your time will be spent wrenching. My wife's Volvo wagon is paid for this month - woo hooo! :pepper:

And naturally is long past warranty days. That car seems like it always needs something done to it. Right now the ABS light comes on every now and then, probably the ABS controller. Naturally, my wife isn't pleased and isn't too happy for me to say "don't worry about it, tell me when it won't stop anymore". And it needs new tires. And the door filler flap "just came off" the other day - I'm sure there is a story on that one but I won't get it. And it needs a new battery as it is a little slow on cranking, soon to leave her at the grocery store. But, I'm on the poor so it's going to have to solider on a few more years until it won't roll anymore.

Too bad it can't be like my truck. Two years of driving it, all I do is put gas in in and change the oil. And it lives a hard life of towing, drag racing, and my generally delinquent driving style.

Keith

Hi Ron. I do about 50K miles per anuum in Mercedes various. I own 2 X Viano MPV (not available in the US) and 1 X E320 CDI by sheer coincidence.

I ran a previous model to 300,000 miles, and the new one has now done over 40K in just under a year.

No mechanical issues to speak of but the newer models build quality ain't what it used to be.

If you can, get the V6 diesel over the straight 6. The mileage is similar (42 mpg average for imperial gallon) but the V6 is gutsy as hell and is quiet too. The straight 6 sounds a little more "agricultural" from the outside at idle but all is smooth and quiet for the passengers.

Fantastic cars for mechanical longevity but niggly minor faults occur especially electrical but nothing really to worry about less'n you get a Friday model!

Mercs earn me a good living are extremely reliable and I wouldn't contemplate using anything else. Oh and of course, FSMH is a must. :)

Hope this helps..

Attachments

• Thong.jpg
    Thong.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 345

Malcolm

Supporter
Wendy and I were tootling down the road when this red pick up truck (like yours but RED) came off this roundabout (traffic circle) and the guy put his foot flat to the floor and screamed past us! What a sound! Wendy was so serioulsy unimpressed by this display and also when I said you had one just like that, that I just had to tell you! Fits in with delinquency comment above it would seem! Keep it up!

Hi Ron

I have a 220CDI and I can only say that it is a brilliant car. It is a little bit noisy on tickover but on the open road quite quiet. Accelleration is very good and fuel consumption amazing. The 320 should go well. I like Merc's good reliable with a good resale value especially herein South Africa.

Regards

hi ron,
i to have driven 2005 320cdi v6 and auto an impressive car,but expensive here in new zealand so i bought a chrysler 300c with the same running gear (it is a 320cdi with 300c body built in merc factory) just as impressive and $55k cheaper .i wonder if you can get them in the usa.i traded a 430e in on the 300c and so far dont regret it one bit.

cheers

ali

Ron Earp

Admin
I'm going to do some digging. In the US we get the inline six motor, not the V6, and it is the only one offered. We don't get the Chrysler models with diesel engines, yet, but I read in Autoweek they were under consideration for the future.

What Keith mentioned seems to ring true with memory - I recemember some comments etc. in long term tests of late model MBs in which people complained about electrical systems. I remember a car editor doing a piece on it, along the lines of "why can't German auto manufactuers get electrics right" due to so many recent failures. Anyone have issues there?

Ron

Mercedes

My daily driver was an 2005 SLK 350 AMG, black , with Carlson wheels, it was a great car. As it had the highly touted Mercedes silent alarm system and a tracking device I never worried about this car.
Friday night I was at my girlfriends house, in a nicer part of San Diego, the car was in guest parking across the street. At 6:05 in thr morning I got a call from Mercedes that the silent alarm had been tripped (at 5:45), I ran to the front of the house and sure enough the car was gone! I asked the Mercedes guy to activate the tracking system, I explained how close we were to the Mexican border(30 minutes) but he could not do it until I had a case # from the San Diego Police Dept. I called them and about 30 minutes later I had the Case number and then Mercedes tried to track the car. He finally told me it was still where I had left it! In short, the perps who snathed the car(there was a big gouge in the asphalt where the car had been parked) had used a flat bed tow truck with a spade that pushes under the wheels.They had also been able to deactvate the Mercedes alarm and tracking system.(which cost about $240,00 yr)
Anyway the car is gone and I am looking at a 2007 Mustang Gt as a replacement.
All of this, of course ties into our trade issues with Mexico, they send us their poor and we send them our Mercedes, Jeeps, Lexus, Suburban's etc, I am sure there is equity in this agreement.
As an aside, I also have a Red 2002 Lighting and it has been a great truck, like Ron, I just change the oil and do regular maintenence on it, It has been truoble free.
The Mercedes had a few niggling little problems which were worked out and I really enjoyed the car but probably won't buy another one.

unfortunately i cannot find this article in english..but only on an italian magazine about used cars (every day use ones).
Just be careful cause seems the E series diesel 270-320d was one of their "problem" car, this admitted also by mercedes itself that also have changed too many engine parts in the following (actual) serie.

is really reccomended u can have a maintenance book with the car.
If I can suggest u Ron...try look at the same car done by BMW.
The old BMW 530d is a stunning powerful car,much more powerful and welldone than merc.(and really better to drive in my opinion)

Drove several and loved theme (also cause they seems heavy nascars:D)

Paolo

Ron Earp

Admin
kenshiro8 said:
is really reccomended u can have a maintenance book with the car.
If I can suggest u Ron...try look at the same car done by BMW.
The old BMW 530d is a stunning powerful car,much more powerful and welldone than merc.(and really better to drive in my opinion)

In the US there are very few diesels offered and BMW has not sold a diesel here in over 20 years I think. Late models E300 and E320 MBs. VW Passat and Jetta (Bora) can be had in diesel. Trucks from Ford, Chevy, Dodge in diesels. Jeep Liberty. And that is about it. Of these the MB seems nice, but there is no BMW diesel to compare it to in the US or Canada.

Ron

Merc

Ron,

I think, in general people considering a Merc Diesel mostly appreciate its engine characteristics, which when choosing a "CDI" or "Common Rail"-engine, could be compared with a big ship`s powerplant: No high revving but bags and bags of torque, which makes you surfing on a giant wave of torque at very low revs (1500-1800) all along the way. And that makes for a very relaxed cruise with the star always in sight.(For those who care.)
As for the troubles with the electric gizmos, yes, Mercs seem to be prone to those, but for only a few bucks more paid to the local Merc dealer you can easily get full coverage in terms of guarantee.

Greetings from Stuttgart

Marcus

Keith

Ron, there are no particular issues with the in-line 6. It is a torquey motor and quicker than you might think. Total number of E Class sedans run by my close associates here is over 30 vehicles so we know our Eclass (and quite a few S class) diesels very well. All are run for about 300,000 miles without major engine or drivetrain issues. They are on 3 year warranty and full 24 hr Mercedes roadside breakdown/recovery service as part of the package.

We earn our living with them....:)

I run a BMW X5 3.0liter Diesel and my father runs a brand new Merc ML 320CDI. Power output is more or less the same. Beamer feels a bit more responsive on the throttle and is slightly better on fuel milage (about 10 litres per 100 KM on average usage. By the way, it outruns the 3.0 litre normal fuel engine.

Ron Earp said:
In the US there are very few diesels offered and BMW has not sold a diesel here in over 20 years I think. Late models E300 and E320 MBs. VW Passat and Jetta (Bora) can be had in diesel. Trucks from Ford, Chevy, Dodge in diesels. Jeep Liberty. And that is about it. Of these the MB seems nice, but there is no BMW diesel to compare it to in the US or Canada.

Ron

absolutely didnt know this Ron.
maybe they didnt sell even cause until some years ago the fuel cost in US was so differnt from europe.
The last generations of diesel engines are true technological masterpieces, able to have a GREAT torque and power, and so economic in fuel drinking.

The old 530d I am referring too was a bestseller here and in general in all europe.U can find stunning car at a very very cheap price (about 15.000 usd),and happens in Italy, we are wellknow to change bmw only to have the last model available.

Even for fuel economy is very very easy also to find big sized bmw engines v8 (as 540i)at a lower amount I told u before:D

Now Ron..take family and visit Italy:D i will be too happy to help u:D

Paolo

Attachments

• E39.jpg
    E39.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 299
the merc 3.0liter v6 cdi has 370ftlbs of torque-208hp,the 300c weighs approx 2000kgs and so far(6000kms) we have averaged around 8.1liters per 100kms.it cruises effortlessly at 100kmph (our speed limit) at about 1700rpm.according to chrysler info just a little slower to 100kmph than the 5.7ltr v8.

cheers
ali

Back