MDA GT40

An important read for anyone considering a new GT40.

So far in the U.K there are only 2 choices for those wanting a new 40.

Those being MDA, and Tornado.

I chose MDA, simply because it is an evolution of a race proven design. That being the GTD.

On Saturday 14th June I saw my car for the first time. I also had the opportunity to compare it to an original GTD.

For starters the chasis is a vast improvement, with more legroom, extra safety features and a significant increase in overall rigidity.

The engine mounts are lower too, by about 2-3 inches.

The fibreglass panels are truly superb. They lighter stiffer, and have a very good finish.

Hubs and uprights are aluminium, suspension is fully rose jointed.

Brakes are AP Racing 6 pot series 6.

The whole car when finished should only weight just over 1000kgs. Truly impressive for such a strong car.

If you demand the best, in terms of quality, finish and innovation, then you cannot go wrong!

You can see the end result at Goodwood 18th August.

Final Spec:

MDA Chasis
Engine Ford SVO V8 331ci - 449HP
R21 transaxle with Quaife internals/Quaife LSD
AP Racing Brakes (6 Pot - Series 6)
Jongbloed BRM Cast Magnesium Wheels.

I am more than happy with what MDA has done so far and thoroughly recommend their work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

J.P

JP,

I saw your car when I visited MDA a few weeks back & it is indeed a very impressive spec. The chassis is much more sophisticated than a GTD, & there are some choice parts on the car!

With your high spec engine added to the mix I'm sure it'll be a fantastic car.

Good luck with the shake down!

Martin,

All I'll say is that my budget was 911 money with some options.

When it finally done and finshed I'll give you an exact figure.

Regards,

J.P

Also very interested in the final costs.... considering both MDA and Tornado as I type.

Cheers,
Mak.

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Ditto, though unfortunately does sound beyond my 'budget'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I do keep trying to work out ways of getting more finance for this project though.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
JP
I have a similar car to your's going through MDA's shop at the moment and can't wait for the results.
Apart from their specification, MDA have also exceeded in service - a thing uncommon in these times.

Ron Earp

Admin
[ QUOTE ]
An important read for anyone considering a new GT40.
So far in the U.K there are only 2 choices for those wanting a new 40.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just an observation, not a hack on the cars, but isn't the CAV sold in the UK now? And, can't you guys import a replica like we do in the US - so you could get RF, ERA, NZ, DRB, etc.

Ron

I guess you could import any of those mentioned, however if you wanted to drive it on the road the UK requires an 'SVA' test prior to a component or imported vehicle being road registered & the test is a real problem and huge headache for a GT40....

It may prove very expensive & difficult (but not impossible?) to get a non UK car thru SVA. I believe MDA has done alot of work on this & makes 'SVA friendly' parts. I don't know the specifics, but my understanding is that major components of the car have to be re-designed to pass.

Ron Earp

Admin
That is depressing, not from the standpoint of bringing other cars in, but from the standpoint that you guys are regulated to death. Realistically - are these cars fundamentally different? Absolutely not. Just more tax money for the taxman......

Ron

How come you can't import a kit into the UK as parts or as a race car. If you ordered a kit from the states couldn't you deem it as spares?. I thought SVA pertained to finished cars...

Hersh:)

Hersh,

If you only want to race a car then there is no need to register it for a road vehicle number plate (so no SVA). A kit or a finished car for the road have to go through SVA as a safety test. We have many japanese 4x4 imports (SUV in American I think) all thes have to go through SVA if a personal import (as opposed to a new vehicle which are covered by the manufacturers crash test).
Of course people do still avoid SVA if they have an old registration plate which is general enough but this is now more rare.

PS How many gallons is your hat?? Is a ten gallon hat really hold ten gallons or is this poetic licence /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brian Magee

Supporter
Dave and Frank.
You have both put vehicles through the SVA as I have. Was it a headache? Did you have to change anything major? Would you say that any GT40 built with thought for the test would not get through? I think there is too much fear of the SVA test and with a bit of planning any car will get through.

Brian.

Dave,
So what makes the GT so hard to pass SVA ? If you build a GTD over there, doesn't it have to go through SVA too ?
So why can't you buy parts from another country then build a car from the parts and take it through SVA ?

No, a ten gallon hat only holds about 3 quarts. The word Gallon in ten gallon hat is derived from a spanish word galo'n which means braid. So a ten gallon hat is a hat with a braided band around the brim. My hats are usually Austrailian made as they tend to shade better than most others. They keep their shape longer too. When you live in a place like Arizona, you better be wearin' a hat or your brain fries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Hersh,
A lot of good things come out of Australia, not only hats.
I recommend you try some of our red wine. Would go great with an Arizona sunset.

Hersh,

I wouldn't say it was hard to pass SVA just attention to detail. I don't understand why major modifications would be needed on a basically sound car, this seems very odd.

I have the SVA manual but couldn't begin to discuss the regulations as the book is long and nit-picking. It covers every aspect of a car, mainly geared to safety of passengers and other road users. Brakes, steering all the normal stuff, its like a super MOT (which all UK cars over 3 years old have to pass annually). Engine emissions is a favourite area where you can fail so fit an engine with an old block.

I agree with Brian that a normal-ish GT40 should go through with a bit of tweaking in well known areas. Its a pain but all in a good cause - some other types of amateur build cars use to be death traps.

Someone said the UK was regulated to death but have sympathy for our continental neighbours. You can't register our types of car in most other European countries. SVA was actually implemented as a get out for our 'kit' car industry and as such should be welcomed.

PS thanks for the explanantion on the hat, what amazing provenance to some these phrases!

Back