Mendeola

Dom,
I think many boxes on the market have Porsche influence in one respect or another...Albins, Hewland,Mendeola,ZF-Q...
OEM transaxles are few and far between and sometimes if it isn't broken it may not need to be fixed...

Hi Fran,

Fair enough. Only real concern about the Porsche influence is the torque rating that the Porsche influenced box can withstand. As I remember the G50 handled something less than 280 Ft. Lbs.

Worth considering a Mendiola for the money.

Dom

Mendeola is here in San Diego and I run into Mike now and then so I have been following this gearbox. I think with having bellhousings that bolt right up to the block with no adapter and the option for clutch's that is available this is a trick setup. And there is a 4 cable shifter for it that keeps the movement tight and in a constant state of pull rather than push.

I have my engine, and I have just been waiting to see this gearbox officially "released" before buying a transaxle. It has HUGE promise and many benefits, Mendeolas' just gotta get it done, which probably means some good commitment to orders.

Crash,
I guess you will be modifying the trans case anyway to hang your suspension from ala LMP , in your new GTM.....:thumbsup:...??
There is a boss on the top of the case that may facilitate that kind of mount by the way....as does the Ricardo

Last edited:
.....Do you think the SL-C with a LS7 and this could be set up to do under 3 sec 0-60 (assuming you can get the traction of course...)

If you look at the G-forces associated with acceleration in that range, you see that it is grip, not power that is the limit. The only cars that get into that range are running really sticky tires (or are AWD like the Veyron). Same with braking - tires are the limit.

At high speed (200 mph) it is power vs. drag.

The gearbox looks sweet, though it still looks like toy compared to the Ricardo :)

Crash,
I guess you will be modifying the trans case anyway to hang your suspension from ala LMP , in your new GTM.....:thumbsup:...??
There is a boss on the top of the case that may facilitate that kind of mount by the way....as does the Ricardo

Fran- That's an assumption you have made all along when throwing my ideas back at me and essentially telling me to pound sand, I just have preferred to let you speak instead of correcting you and getting into a whole nother pissing match, but since you have, once again, decided to take the opportunity to use a thread about something else to attack me, I will respond to your accusations.

I WILL NOT be attaching the suspension to the case of the tranny and NEVER said that that was my plan. I assume that YOU ASSUMED I was saying this because I stated to you that I had experience with LMP cars and wanted a longer suspension arm than either you, or any other kit car builder offer. To try and use a tranny that wasn't designed to be a stressed member would be ridiculous and potentially disasterous. I'm sure you know this and believe it is what you are alluding to with this post. But instead of just coming out and saying something like "hey if this is what you are thinking, I would advise against it" so we could have a flow and exchange of ideas, it appears you are just hoping to set me up for some sort of "I told you so" or something in the future. Well, you won't have that pleasure because it's not what I am doing. That would be an ammature's mistake.

You know, I stated it on another BBS in another thread, and you are just proving it again. You have an ego problem apparently, and think that your way is right and no one else can possibly know what they are talking about if it is any different than what you preach. THAT'S NOT THE CASE! Get over yourself. I know you "own" this thread and part of the forum, so these comments will probably be deleted, but, really, whatever. As I said in the other thread on the other BBS, why can't we just agree to disagree, and stop hijacking threads for nothing more than pissing contests?

Oh, and BTW- You know as well as I do that those holes in the top tab of the Mendeola are not meant to be used as an attachment point for suspension. To infer that they are is not appropriate.

To all those reading our little friendly exchange here, regardless of what Fran wrote, don't think you should use those holes for suspension mounts. They were put there to give builders another option as to where to mount the tranny to the frame.

Dude lighten up.....Its Friday...the work week is nearly over...this is the stuff we do for fun...
I still find building cars fun...dont you?

I am actually looking forward to seeing the car you build...and your innovative use of race car components...

Last edited:

Craig Gillingham

Banned because I can't follow the forum rules.
oh yes that..i see it a few months ago....shown the SL-C pic to my wife and she immediately demanded sex....then shown her the GTM pic and she said the conifers in the back garden needed trimming...

Its amazing what goes into a decision making process :)

just kidding mate.... looks good and sure youll have fun...

respects with any 200mph machine man!

Crash, I dont think you have to worry about Mendeola waiting to get commitment before they get this to market. I have seen pallets and pallets of these allready being machined. They have been doing some rigorous testing to make sure things are correct before it goes out and I sure it will not fail to impress.

Fran, Is the trans you have a finished product or one for mock up? I think with it comming plumbed for a cooler and the little more money for the ground and polished gears and 625 ft/lb (if I recall correct) this will be a good option.

The cooler input and output, the weight, the one piece interchangable bell housing, and the fact that it is not a tranny being run upside down from it's design, are ALL major benefits IMO. Couple those with the fact that the price isn't outrageous and it can handle decent amounts of TQ, and it's pretty much a no brainer. They just gotta make it happen.

Fran, have you looked into applying the Mendeola S5D sequential box, will it fit and what are your thoughts on this for our "track only" cars? It is half the price of the Hewland box we were discussing.

Jeremy,
I have talked with Victor at Mendeola about it but currently they dont have the taller ratios available for high speed track work....but I was told they are working on it..

I agree it would be a much more effective solution ...and you could carry a spare just in case and still be ahead...

Back