Mesh Screens

I have been looking all over the net. looking for wire mesh or differant types of Mesh screens that I may install. The only thing I have found is the screen material at Home Depot for concrete. Anybody else have any ideas?

I agree, McMaster Carr is amazing. you can spec any material and opening size, perforation per sq inch, etc. They are real helpful on the phone too.

Courtesy of Chuck. Works great...

Air Filters

A couple of the original GT 40s on display at the Shelby Museum in Boulder, Colorado, had screens inside the air intake vents on the rear clip. This is a good idea that keeps the big chunks out of the way of the carbs. Duplicating this detail was a nice evening project.

Stainless steel screen was obtained from Pegasus, part number 3641-12 x 18. It is #6 x .035 medium mesh. A 12” x 18” sheet was plenty. After making the usual pattern, it was cut out with a cutting tool about 3/16” under size. (Note that there is slight variation from left to right, so make separate patterns for each side.) The edge was trimmed with edge grip rubber seal. We used 1/16” edge with a 13/64” bulb (we pulled the bulb off), since we had some handy (McMaster-Carr, Part # 1120A181).

Long ago before the body was painted we had placed three Nutserts on each side in anticipation of adding these screens later. Three small stainless button head screws fit snugly between the screen openings, holding them securely in place.

With the back glass in place, they are relatively inconspicuous.

Although proper carb filters would be best, we liked the look of those eight separate trumpets, so opted for separate carb covers. We found these slick velocity stack filters at Pierce Manifolds. About $160 for the set. They are made specifically for the IDF carbs. Nicely made, with two layers of screening and a very fine mesh in-between. Part number 99217.250. Pierce Manifolds, Gilroy, CA. (408)842-6667.
Attached Thumbnails

Back