Michael's GT-R Build

Michael Hampson

Supporter
I've been working on the air box and intake plenum. I squished a 5" 6061 aluminum tube (0.060 wall) for the intake and cut some pie pieces to make the plenum, and the air box is made from 3003 1/8" aluminum (was thinking I would need to bend it - and will, for the top cover at least). I had to modify the upper crossmember so the angle of the intake plenum wasn't too drastic.

The top cover will be 1/16" and will have 1/2" flanges around it to fit around the box, and will be gasketed. There will be holes in the left and right of the top to pull in air, probably through the wheel well and to the upper vents, but maybe the side vents, which would perhaps be a little easier to get to. Not sure yet.

I am getting very close to adding some oil and cranking it up.
2020-10-25 10.22.58.jpg
2020-11-09 21.11.10.jpg
2020-11-10 17.18.35.jpg
2020-11-10 17.45.05.jpg
2020-11-10 19.23.41.jpg
2020-11-14 12.49.43.jpg
 

Michael Hampson

Supporter
Installed Corbeau seat belts from Summit Racing. This is a street car, so these will be perfect. Since they are certainly a safety item, I decided on the floor to add a 1/4"x4"x4" plate to bolt through the floor. On the upper mounts, they are u-bolted around the roll cage.
2021-04-22 20.03.33.jpg
2021-04-22 20.03.42.jpg
2021-04-22 20.03.58.jpg
 

Michael Hampson

Supporter
Working on adding the mesh in the rear valence openings. Since the oval cutouts are not flat on the original car, I made a form out of wood (walnut, since it was laying around :)) and formed the piece in the hydraulic press. Turned out perfect! I bought some SS adhesive mount studs (McMaster-Carr Studs!) To mount the pieces on the inside of the valence. I haven't turned it over to look, while the epoxy cures, but I expect it will look magnificent!

While I had the back off, I filled the bumper with foam, and will trim flush and fiberglass over the back for a fully enclosed bumper. That was messy. I expect there was an easier way to do that!
 

Attachments

Michael Hampson

Supporter
Hey, I was wondering what y'all think about the color.....

2021-05-24 19.00.24.jpg


Oh, and thanks to Alan P (#Ajzridehouston) for the solid models of the adapters for the C6 mirrors. I 3D printed one, and CNC routed the other. The routed one turned out better, so I will do the other one that way. The model mated perfectly with the door. The only issue I had was that I had to change the angle by 8 degrees or the mirrors would have been angled way too high.
 
Last edited:

Michael Hampson

Supporter
Carpet is in!

I am not happy with the console color. For some reason it turned out waaaaay grey instead of silver. I'm going with it for now.

Next will be vinyl on the door skins (from H Craft) and the dash. Ugh, that means the dash will have to come out for final sealing of the gaps and vinyl application. Might be an opportunity to clean up some wiring, though.

I am also not happy with the center vents either (either side of the radio), I mis-measured and there is a gap where you can see the wiring. I am going to re-do those soon.

Moving along, otherwise. The list of things to complete is no longer so daunting. I think the car is officially "registerable" so I am going to work on that as well.

2021-05-08 13.47.56.jpg
2021-05-16 13.31.31.jpg
2021-05-16 13.31.53.jpg
2021-05-22 17.43.32.jpg
 
Mike are you thinking of yellow for the final color not bad I was contemplating the new corvette orange and black but settled on Rivera Blue instead. Just make sure you have the spider in the exact position and get the doors fit right with no play in the hinge bolts. Allan gave some valuable tips when I went to see him this past weekend.
 

Michael Hampson

Supporter
No, it won't be yellow. That's just the color of the eBay side mirrors. Thanks for the other tips.

Mike are you thinking of yellow for the final color not bad I was contemplating the new corvette orange and black but settled on Rivera Blue instead. Just make sure you have the spider in the exact position and get the doors fit right with no play in the hinge bolts. Allan gave some valuable tips when I went to see him this past weekend.
 
I’m not surprised you had to modify the file for your mirrors, in fact I’m surprised they worked at all. Those look like a different model mirror than what I developed the file with for Rufus’ car. Those are much taller. Glad you were able to make them work.
 
Top