Minimum HP and TQ

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Thanks Gene and William, Rick is correct on the tires, they are not cheap but for your life who cares. With the old tires on a cold day you could down shift at 60 into 3rd and the rear wheels would just spin and when passing a car this causes a great deal of confusion for you and the guy your passing.

Attachments

• IMG_4734 small.jpg
    IMG_4734 small.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_4811 small.jpg
    IMG_4811 small.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 186
As a racecar driver once said " when you can leave two black lines from the apex of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower."

Mike Pass

Supporter
The Avon cr6zz tyres are good tyres and have the right profile to give the GT40 the right look. They are capable of producing a lateral g force of 1.3g which is a long way from slicks but very good for a road tyre. Whether you can get 1.3 g from your car is another question!
The historic race guys in europe use them as wets.
They are a little soft but I have have had them on for 3 years and they are still OK treadwise. I don't do a big mileage (about 2,000 a year) and have done Le Mans twice (including track time) and a few track days. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough but I did overtake a Lambo Diablo round the outside at Mulsanne corner!
Cheers
Mike

my goal is to get a car that is 2 to 1,
meaning the car has for every 2kg, 1hp or say 500hp per ton.
thats enough to give the thrills and enough for most to scare yourself/others once in a while :D

Interesting choice of power to weight ratio. I was running 1.9 kg per hp with my last engine and am currently running 2.6 kg per hp. The last engine produce a 10.8 @ 132 mph in the 1/4, current engine 11.4, but the current engine has very good street manners over the hotter one. So, just remember the trade offs if you want to enjoy at lot of street driving, or have both and go with a positive displacement blower.

I guess especially for a 1/4 drag a good set up is very important, also the right tires :D
If I (when all goes well) buy a GT40 in the near future, it has to have good road manners but also good enough for a occasional track-day (no races though)

William,
The 930 in my GT has stock gearing and is a 4 speed, the five speeds are G50's. I'm not sure what the tq is as I have not had it on a dyno but it's more than enough. The car is not "tail happy" but only because I don't let it get out there. With the BFG TA tires I'm running (they are crap!) and running on the street where you won't know you hit something loose like gravel until you hit it and then your sideways and stuff happins very quickly. I know this from sad expeirence. I don't have to slip the clutch off the line but I can't just let it out unless I'm at 4000 RPM and want to play drag racer. It's easy to get off the line and very comfortable to drive. I have had many street cars with lot's of different H.P. and I can say that for me I don't need or want any more H.P.. This car driven in each gear to redline never gets old and will get you put in jail if your not careful, you will be over 140 in third and still going hard. Great car to drive hard or drive in a parade, it's comfortable either way. I'm not sure why anyone would require more H.P. but that's the beauty of a hand built car, you can make it however you want it.

Steve

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I took my car to the drag strip, I didn't pop the clutch so no tire spin just get going and floor it, they sprayed some sticky stuff on the tract that helped a bunch, I did 11:44 in the quarter and they kicked me off the tract and said to come back with a roll cage. I didn't know what I was going to do for time but without a roll cage the fastest you could do the quarter in is 13 seconds. The ZF was hard to come by and for the cost a lower ET was not worth it IMHO.

Back