Mirage 351 Windsor engine specs........

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
I'm just getting main components together for a replica gulf car with a 351W engine, any photos out there of that engine in the car? what valve covers did it have and did it have the 48 IDA webbers? also did it have an aviaid oil pan. I want the engine to externally look as original as possible.

Any info would be welcome thanks in advance.....

Keith

I may be wrong and I'll probably be corrected, but I believe these to be photos of 1075 engine bay. Hope they help.

Attachments

• 52048-1599-11.jpeg.jpg
    52048-1599-11.jpeg.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 956

Keith

Fantastic site and what a quality resto job on 1076. Plenty of detail there for creating a "true" replica.

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks guys, I had seen this site just diddent read this..........

"Perhaps the rarest of all GT40 engines is the 1967 "Mirage" 351 engine. This 5.7 litre engine was legal for for a brief time in 1967 before the maximum displacement rules for the class were changed to 5.0 litres. When properly prepared, the "Mirage" 351 was very fast: winning at Spa, Kyalami, Karlskoga, Skarpnack, and Montlhery. ".........

So it looks like its going to be Gurney Westlake covers, I did see somewhere on this site an english guy making a few replicas will do a search.....

Any onfo on the pan, Aviaid?

Thanks again

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Found this....
Aviaid do produce a 351W gt40 pan will email them to confirm...

Attachments

• 52131-oilpan.jpg
    52131-oilpan.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 537

Keith

Well, to be accurate, the photos of 1075/76 show Gurney Eagle covers - not Weslake (although the heads were probably Weslake design for sure). Was the "Mirage 351" a Windsor or Cleveland ? I believe Chris Melia had some of the "Weslake" style valve covers a few months ago but these would have been for Windsor heads only...

What ever happened to the articles and FAQs page?

From Lee Holman:
[ QUOTE ]
The hm 351 was a stretched 289 which we built by going to the foundry and changing the tooling for the block. It uses odd bearings and pistons and most parts will not work on the w351. The Ford 351 was built because of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this is pretty old but I figured I would post anyway. I used to own an iron Mirage short block and currently have all of an aluminum one except for correct heads and various external parts. The blocks were Cleveland deck height and used a 351 oil pump but a 289 distributor so I had a few oil pump shafts made with 1/4in. on one and 5/16 on the other end. I have a Weber manifold for this combo and new Inglese built Webers, 2 cranks, 11 rods and several sets of XE bearings for mains and rods. Here's some info I and others wrote about my alum. GT40 Mirage block: Block XE 93532 - Clevelands Forever!

Roy

Back