MK-IV's in Road and Track

MK-IV\'s in Road and Track

In this months Road and Track there is a test of the Shaleen S7 (Which is the fastest street legal car they've ever tested) as well as several photo's and mentions of MK-IV's. It's interesting to note that the S7's performance #'s are almost identical to those of my 36 year old MK-IV.

Re: MK-IV\'s in Road and Track

If I'm not mistaken, the S7 uses an aluminum-block version of the good-ole 427 FE side oiler that was in the MkIV, so things haven't changed that much.
smile.gif

I see some similarities between Steve Saleen and Carroll Shelby. Both are marketing wizards with a background in hot rods who somehow managed to getr Ford's attention. Both aspired to improve Ford's Mustang with their own, upgraded version. Both have attempted to build a modern supercar, neither of which will probably sell very well. But I think the similarities end there. Shelby had Phil Remington and Carroll Smith working for him, with an all-out financial commitment by Ford to racing and winning. If Saleen has anyone of Remington's or Smith's calibre in his employ, then it's news to me. I also detect a little more of the snake-oil salesman in Saleen, and his Mustangs seem to be modified more for boulevard pimp appeal than for outright performance like the Shelby Mustangs.

Maybe that helps explain why I like the MkIV better than the S7; it has a better pedigree.

My $0.02.

I was under the impression that Saleen's S7 used a stroked 351 to obtain the 427 cu inchs
rather than the FE based engine...

Either way, it's really cool...just wish I could afford one.

David Berry

Yep...the Saleen 427 is a stroked WIndsor.

You can't dispute Steve Saleen's longevity.
I think he has overstrecthed a bit with the
S7, but hey...nothing ventured nothing gained.

MikeD

The Saleen’s a very cool car (looks very similar to the IMSA GTP cars). The gentleman that designed the S7 lives about a mile away from me in NE Portland, Oregon although I’ve never taken the time to meet him. You are correct, the 427 is a stroked 351 Windsor and it’s too bad the Cleveland’s long out of production. As ’good’ as the Windsor is, I have to believe a stroked 351 Cleveland would be a far superior motor but that’s a mute point.
As gorgeous as the Saleen is and with all things being equal, I would still go with the Mk-IV if I had my choice between cars. I’ve seen all the classics Ferrari‘s, Maseraties (sp?), Dusenburgs, Mercedes, and the rest of the world’s most famous cars and I can honestly say I believe the MK-IV is the most beautiful car ever made. Graceful yet purposeful lines and brutal horsepower. This one’s a close second.Wet Dreams

Hershal, I’ve been reading the board on a regular basis but I haven’t had anything to add. I’m kind of the quiet type who learned a long time ago that I learn a lot more by listening (reading in this case) than speaking. I continue to get quite an education following the trials and tribulations you guys go through.

MK-IV J6, do you use racing tires driving the MK-IV on the street or do you use street tires? If you use street tires, what kind and size do you use? Wheel size? I would think racing tires on the street would be a real pain considering how puncture prone they are to stones and derbies let alone slicks in the rain or wets in the dry.

[ May 08, 2003: Message edited by: imsa ]

IMSA
Yes I drive my car on the street. Over the 10 years I've owned it I've put over 20,000 street miles on it. As this car is a 67 I'm able to use tires that are similar to the Goodyear Sports Car Specials that were used on road GT40's and Cobras in 67. 20,000 miles so far no problems. My car will be at Pebble. If you're there come say hello,
Best

IMSA,
Yes, this place has its intertaining moments.
grin.gif
But I am a bit like you in that I read much more here than I post. I enjoy learning about these old racers and the machines they drove. I regularly check on Jims progress and anxiously await new info on his P4. This may be a GT40 site but
if it raced in that era then I'm interested in seeing it and knowing the history. I can't remember all of it but none the less I enjoy it.
One of the most outstanding things about this site is that replica or real, nobody gets their undies in a wad over it. We all seem to share info in regards to parts or ideas on how to.
So what kind of car is that wet dream ?
smile.gif

Hersh
smile.gif

Hershal, the 'Wet Dream" is a 2002 Mercedes GTR. I could be wrong here but with a price of $1.5 million, I think the girl pictered in the passenger seat is included.

This is a great site and I visit at least 2 times a day just to keep up on everyone. Great bunch of guys!

IMSA

Ah, the old Lang Cooper. Wasn't that car built out of one of the King Cobras?

Victor, if you haven't got it, find a copy of "Carroll Shelby's Racing Cobra", Friedman and Christy--lots of King Cobra coverage there...

By the way, J6, you are my hero. A MkIV on the street! And to think I get a bit nervous driving my replica in traffic...
grin.gif

Snakeeyes, I have it! Infact, it's in the bookcase next to my lazyboy chair and I look at it all the time and remember when I turned down a 427 CS Cobra and a 289 Cobra for $10,000.00. I bought a Ferrari 250 12 Cly Cabriolet instead, which I still own. This was back in 1976.

VIC

CAV #51
Lemans Blue
Owner built engine
Getrag Trans
smile.gif
smile.gif

I agree! Just the thought of the MK IV being street driven brings a smile to my face. No garage queen here. 20,000 street driven miles is many more than a lot of Ferrari and other exotic car owners put on their car in a lifetime for one reason or another. The nice thing about the MK IV, if he ever has any motor problems on a trip, he can always stop at the local NAPA store and get anything he wants. I can just imagine the conversation at the parts counter.

“Now what year was that 427 again Mr. J 6?”

“I don’t have MK IV listed here”

“Lets cross reference to Galaxy”

“Is that a 2 or 4 door? Power steering?”

“ Ok, 8 Autolites and a rotor come to $14.95. Anything else sir?”

Try that at the local auto parts house with a late 1960’s Lambo!

IMSA
Terry Teadtke
Portland, Oregon
tongue.gif

[ May 08, 2003: Message edited by: imsa ]

Hey Hershal, I agree totally. With all the parts I have laying about I am looking to another 60s car. With the conections that Fran Hall has in England, I am trying to get some info on the King Cobra. Small block mid-engine Cooper chassis and body.

VIC

CAV #51
Lemans Blue
Owner built small blk
Getrag trans

I heard Steve Saline give a speech on the S7 when it first came out. The engine is based off the 351 Ford Windsor engine "design" but nothing in the engine, not even the block is a factory Ford component.

Back