Modifying a Porsche G50 Transaxle

Rats! Last time I looked at them on the Summit site they were $239. Just goes to show that you have to look everywhere when you finally pull the trigger. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thanks for saving other folks the expense of the lesson.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Racerparts Wholesale has a Mocal pump which is virtually identical to the Tilton for 179.99 as well. Part No. MOC-17522HT. They are located in Indianapolis, IN which may make shipping cheaper for some.

Regards,
Lynn

Bill - just spoke to Roger at Powerhaus today. 52's are commanding a fair chunk of $$$, $7000 - $10,000 I was quoted depending on the setup and he has none in the warehouse at the moment. When one does come in - it goes quick so check in on a regular basis and make a deposit ASAP!

Chris

Man, you guys are scaring me!!

We have a local Porsche dismantler that has tons of transaxles. He has many G50-20's and G50-0X's. Will they work in place of a G50/52? I don't intend to track the car, just cruises and sucg.

Thanks

Bill D
Los Angeles, CA

Bill - called the www.911pcar.com as they listed a Porsche 86-89 Turbo transaxle G50-50 41k miles - gone. Next in for the same unit will be in two weeks - $5000. Donno the condition, was told to call back. I missed out on one a few weeks ago, a 52 for $5200.

The G50's are being used for just about every application right now so with only a limited number built, it's tough to find one for a reasonable price.

Roger at Powerhaus said Porsche still make the G50 but I have no idea what they are worth new.

Somewhere down the road, these units are going to dry up and I don't see any other company stepping up to the plate to produce their own ZF/G50 type transaxle so I suspect that the choices will become limited. It's too bad because there are still plenty of parts and Porsche service centres across the country to warrant a custom fab'd transaxle.

Happy hunting!

Chris

G50-20 is a 6sp, is long. I am working on squeezing mine in as we speak. Other G50-0x will work too.

Chris Duncan

Supporter
""He has many G50-20's and G50-0X's. Will they work in place of a G50/52? I don't intend to track the car, just cruises and such.""

I'm shooting for 400HP running a G50-02. Long as you're not dumping the clutch off the line you should be ok at 450HP.

Chris Duncan

Supporter
""When you say "a little higher", does that mean nearer the 4L mark, or as some owners recommend, just filling the box up to the level of the side filler plug ?""

According to Rodger Brown at PowerHausII you pop an axle out and fill it till it comes out the seal. I drilled and tapped a small hole at that level will fill till it runs out.

Haven't filled it yet so don't know the amount.

I recommend writing down your questions and calling these guys. They're a wealth of info.

For instance. The stock Porsche slave cylinder is difficult to work with. First the fitting is oddball, also it's angled so when you flip it the angle is going in the wrong direction or the bleeder is on the bottom. It costs $135.

The Audi unit works much better. It has no angle so works inverted. The fitting is common and it only costs $35.

Hi Kalun
That info on the slave is very handy. I already have all I thought I needed, but I have a Porsche slave. Have you a part number / photos of the Audi unit. That sounds like it would be very handy.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Thanks Kalun - my side filler plug is about level with the top of the axle shaft seal, so I guess some sort of bent "poke-in" dipstick is in order so that I can fill to the level of the bottom of the seal. With the g'box installed & working, I am not keen on drilling into it to install a new filler plug at the right height like yours !

If I ever get the filler & the drain plugs out (they have resisted all efforts so far), I'll measure the volume of oil required to get to the bottom of the axle seal & let you know what I found.

Thanks & Kind Regards,

Peter D.

I found two used G50 transaxles on eBay for $2500 each. Would this work? Does it require shortening the case?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm new to this mid-engine stuff.

Regards

BillD

Bill - Roger had mentioned the G50 50 units will take about 380 lbs of torque as is. No LSD either but can be done and stronger main shaft. The most common failure of the G50 50 are the ring and pinion. I think as long as you're not going to run the living hell out of it, it should be ok but I would call Roger at Powerhaus first. I personally would go through him for the purchase, he and his staff have a wealth of knowledge. 303-442-4327

You'll also need the adaptor plate setup, Kennedy Eng makes the Ford to Porsche inverted plate and comes with flywheel, pilot bearing and hardware - $620.00 and is 4-5 weeks from time of order. They also have clutch kits if needed. 661-272-1147

Chris

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Bill -

Sounds like you are stuck in much of the transmission dilemma that I have. I spoke with the folks (Chris as I recall and he was very helpful) at renegade about the 50/50(2)'s and they suggested the stronger 930 box with spray bars and a few other mods. They would not quote 5050/5052's since they are crazy expensive acording to them. The total and very rough pricing for a done up 930 with clutch, linkage, etc was in the 13k range (VERY ROUGH ESTIMATE). I have pretty much decided that it's going to be a RBT-ZF (local) or a hewland sequental and take the hit. I'll be chatting with Fran this week to sort that out and an finalize on what I'm going to do for the chassis.

Good luck with it, finding a transmission is the worst part of the process for sure...

Sandy

Thanks Sandy. Do you have a GT40 on order with Fran? If so, I would love to come and see it. Mine is due around Thanksgiving.

Bill D

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
He is one of two top finalists /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I will be hopefully talking with him next week to see if he can take care of my odd transmission fitment as well as a host of other things I'm going to want.

Will keep you posted!

Sandy

For those of you guys looking for Porsche parts, there are several dismantlers(sp?) around the country that have mailing list of their new arrivals. If you do a Google search you can find some of them. German Auto Dismantlers is who I get news letters from routinely. In talking to them some time ago, one of the guys is a 930 expert or lover. He can locate a used one for you if need be, but be prepared for a long wait as they are getting pretty rare. Especially the LSD's. But the G50 series come through fairly regularly. Don't know of their pricing, but if you don't mind getting one that probably needs rebuilding(40-60K miles) then its one of the best sources outside of Ebay. If you do go the Ebay route, be sure to use an escrow account to pay for your unit. That way you don't get scamed, and it protects you from those who would sell different from advertised. Just be sure to set up the process so that it protects you. If you need more info on the process I can help. My ebay trans is still in limbo since thanksgiving(very long story but will have a satisfactory ending by the end of this month, I hope). It protects you and keeps the bulk of your money safe. Better to lose a shipping charge than the whole thing.
BTW to ship a trans via Forward Air from Atlanta to Cal. is only $100 or less. So you don't lose your a**.

Bill

Bill D - try calling LA porsche dismantlers -

I picked one up from them - you may have to wait a little while, but they seem to have a steady stream of wrecks comming thur (LA - go figure - I can honestly say that as I was raised in Orange County!).

cheers

Back