Modifying a Porsche G50 Transaxle

Hey there everyone,

I thought that I would chime in here. We specialize in G50 gearboxes for V8 applications. And yes we have a G50/52 currently in stock along with a couple of G50/50 gearboxes.

The inversion process is not difficult for those who would like to do it on their own, but there are a few things that most people do not think of when they are doing this work.

I highly recommend installing a cooler and pump, we typically sell these for $200 a piece and have had very good success.

The G50/01, G50/02, G50/03 and G50/05 are very good transaxles for HP ranges below 550, for higher applications, I would recommend the G50/50 or G50/52, as they will certainly do the trick.

We normally switch out the 4th and 5th gears to better accommodate the V8, and I would be happy to talk to anyone who would like some suggestions.

Always here to help,

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2 work
(720) 980-9407 cell

Erik,

So my Patrick Motorsports built G50/52 should stand up against my 351 which generates 506 hp at 6700 rpm and 481 lb-ft at 4200 rpm? It has spray bars and an external pump.

How to do you set up the drain plug and determine the fill when they are inverted?

Thanks!

Dear Mike,

You basically draw a line across the center of the Pinion shaft, which is essentially the centerline of the axle flanges and place the fill in a location along that line. We typically place it in the center section of the gearbox. I would also recommend installing a transaxle oil cooler and pump, as heat is still the biggest killer of gearboxes. These ports are typically located in the rear of tail of the gearbox for the return line, and the old vent location for the out line.

It should be noted that new oil passages really need to be cut into the case itself to allow the oil to move freely back and forth thoughout the gearbox. This will essentially remove the need for a spray bar system and will keep the gearbox very well lubricated and cool.

I would be happy to discuss this in more detail with anyone that might need some advice, or help with this. Feel free to give me a call at any time.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2 work
(720) 980-9407 cell

Back