Modular Engine Questions

Kevin Box

Supporter
Thinking about the 32 valve Fords and have a few questions.

Is the Cobra 03 /04 engine the best one to consider if your going to use one in GT40

How much would you expect to pay for a complete engine?

Is the bell housing pattern different from the 302/351 config?

Appreciate any other comments (positive or negative)

regards

KevinB

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Consider the mod motor from the Lightning pickup....supercharged! I think Ron drives a Lightning, he might have more personal information to give.

I'd expect the bellhousing pattern to be different....the mod motors are much larger than the SBF series.

The new "Coyote" mod motor, 5.0/302 and 32-valve, seems to be quite the engine.

Doug

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
Hey Kevin,

Do a search on Google and you'll find a lot of info out there saying the small block Ford and 4.6 mod motors have the same bolt pattern. As far as the 2003/2004 Cobra engines fitting, they will have a lower overall height than the Lightning truck motors. That will make a difference if you want to go into a GT40 body. I have a 2003 4.6 in my build. You can see how it looks in my build thread. I paid $4500 with 30000 miles. You can still find them out there.

Pete

Pete

You can still get the 5.4L GT aluminum block from several places. This will work well if you are going to use a ricardo transaxle as it is set up for dry sump and has no starter opening, as it is on the transaxle

YOU guys see the new FACTORY options for FI from Ford? Man for under $7,000 you could have 650hp (thats for the FI kit not the motor).

Kevin Box

Supporter
I have been looking at Ebay and found a few listings like this
2003-2004 4.6 Mustang MACH 1 DOHC 4 valve engine
One possibility was a rebuilt long block and then put a IR (8 Stack) intake on it

Other possibility is to look for a good pair of 4 valve heads (Cobra 2003 or similar) and buying new Ford Racing iron 5.0 litre modular block and filling it with new crank rods & pistons.

All possbilities at this stage

regards KB:idea:

Attachments

• Ford cobra Long block.jpg
    Ford cobra Long block.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 309
heh there: been around mod motors since their conception. the 03/04 cobra motor is a good choice due to the steel crank and factory Manley rods. good head flow as well. the only draw back is the weight since the 03/04 s/c cobra uses a cast iron block. I think the newest plan would be the 2011 GT500 engine. it is all aluminum with 550 HP with wet sump. also remember the Ricardo transaxle has the provision for the starter in it. also good picks on Ford Racing Aluminator long blocks. very strong. I've messed around with carbureted modular engines as well. let me know if you have any questions. thanks, scott minch

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
Personally, I think you'll find the rear quarters pretty cramped for a Mod motor. Compare a Ford GT next to a GT40 for a size comparison. If Ford had made the GT the size of a GT40, I'm not sure it would have fit. Anything can be done, I do it for a living, but do the benefits justify the results? I think the Mod motor( especially the 4 cam ones) are as large or larger than a Cammer engine (SOHC 427 type). If I was looking at that much $$ and fabrication, I'd look for an old 4 cam Indy engine.
The early, maybe first 2 years, had SBF pattern, later they went to a unique one that is not the same. I actually think it may be a smaller overall.

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
The Ford Racing Parts website has some good information on engine dimensions.

302 based Ford
Height 20.75"
Width 18.75"
Length 27.50"

351 based Ford
Height 23.75"
Width 21.00"
Length 27.50"

4.6L Modular SOHC
Height 26.00"
Width 21.00"
Length 28.00"

4.6L Modular DOHC
Height 29.88"
Width 30.00"
Length 28.00"

460 based Ford
Height 26.00"
Width 26.00"
Length 32.00"

My simple math on the DOHC Modular motor.

Assuming you can mount it 5" off the road the engine will be 5" from the absolute top of the vehicle. If you can get the extra 11" of width accommodated buy extra wide mirrors :thumbsup:

Back