Monocoque on ebay

Mike Pass

Supporter
The pics are from 2008. The business closed shortly afterwards when the builder Ray Webber died. They made 5, maybe 6 chassis.
Cheers
Mike

Mike Pass

Supporter
The asking price was 32,000 pounds sterling for the chassis and body. The advert is no longer on Ebay.
Cheers
Mike

At the risk of continuing a chassis discussion on this thread instead of the chassis forum.....

Thanks for the videos Mike. Like you, I am an amateur when it comes to structural issues and have come by my 'understanding' such as it is, by piecing together numerous sources of info. Over the years I been lucky enough to have had access to some pretty good mechanical/structural engineers in the aerospace industry. I remember having a discussion with a senior engineer about the highest efficiency strength to weight structures and he used the example of comparing a rain gutter (length of cylindrical half-pipe) to an aluminum pop can. Pointing how easy it is to twist the guttering compared to a very thin-skinned can - very similar to the box section video you provided.

I tried to apply that principle to the side pods with a closed structure the full length of the sills, adding pressed ribs to provide some longitudinal stiffness to the surface. The biggest decision was whether to include the periodically spaced internal ribs that were used in the originals. They undoubtedly increase stiffness of the 'tube', but I would have to use the somewhat complex/expensive bladder type gas tanks (which I would probably have to have custom made) or use an undersized alloy tank that I could slide in via an open end and live with a lower overall fuel capacity. In the end, I decided to go ribless and use the alloy gas tanks (another closed structure) as a semi-stressed member. By that, I mean the tank is mounted via flanges at both ends using small compressible grommets. A small amount of give is provided to allow for differential thermal expansion and some vibration absorption.

Total fuel capacity is just over 70 litres but this could be increased as the end of the tank is in line with the rear firewall but could be extended rearward. Attached photos provide a bit of detail

Attachments

• cockpit panels.jpg
    cockpit panels.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 335
  • View down sidepod.jpg
    View down sidepod.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 333
  • GT40 underside.jpg
    GT40 underside.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 327

Charlie Farley

Supporter
It is a question of the cost and availability of the parts to complete this chassis. The chassis is fine but would not be really suitable for road use as it is mild steel and fairly expensive compared to space frame replicas. To see the issues with building one of these chassis to original spec and the joys of finding those parts now which Ford just grabbed off the shelf at the time check out Jimmymac's thread on this forum.
Cheers
Mike
That's a strange conclusion, after all, FAV only delivered 33 (+) MK1 road cars and several MK3. Same monocoque chassis, which i know well.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
That's a strange conclusion, after all, FAV only delivered 33 (+) MK1 road cars and several MK3. Same monocoque chassis, which i know well.
Gentlemen, for those with interest, perhaps you might to like to check out a chassis that exceeds current FIA requirements to obtain papers. After all, it is produced from a FULL set of drawings, unlike some claim. If you know your ' eggs ' , you can see where some have not had a full set and have guessed it. That's why historically we have been engaged by those restoring original P chassis, another side of the business. With podium finishes at
the top flight US shows. Amelia, Pebble etc.

We currently have 3 FIA chassis racing in the season that has recently closed and 4/5 well into the full build by customers and aimed at competing next year.

www.buildingandracingalegend.com

Last edited:
Gentlemen, for those with interest, perhaps you might to like to check out a chassis that exceeds current FIA requirements to obtain papers. After all, it is produced from a FULL set of drawings, unlike some claim. If you know your ' eggs ' , you can see where some have not had a full set and have guessed it. That's why historically we have been engaged by those restoring original P chassis, another side of the business. With podium finishes at
the top flight US shows. Amelia, Pebble etc.

We currently have 3 FIA chassis racing in the season that has recently closed and 4/5 well into the full build by customers and aimed at competing next year.

www.buildingandracingalegend.com
Charlie, that is nice craftsmanship indeed. I sent you a private message.

A curious monocoque being offered for sale by a guy that "doesn't know anything about it".

thoughts on this one???

I took a closer look at the pictures of the Ebay add. The welds look a bit crude and rough to me. This was probably the first try.

Back