Mufflers or Megaphones?

Eric B

Eric
The Megaphones seemed a little loud for the street, the mufflers seemed too quiet.

What is everyone running on the street?

Is there a compromise?

Eric

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
If they seemed too loud for you inside your car, you can imagine what people outside were going through.

Many motorcyclists like to think that “Loud pipes save lives”... When in actual fact, they’re not proven to do that at all because the LOUD is projected in the opposite direction of your path. What is proven, however, is that loud exhaust ruins your hearing and ticks off all your neighbors....
Regardless of what others may think, I would like to encourage the implementation of a more people friendly silencer system...

I don't have megaphones, although would like to try them or straight pipes at the track. I run with the standard mufflers and they are loud enough for the street, really quite loud if you get on it, and not too bad inside the car, however I do wear noise cancelling ear buds on longer drives. I would say, have both and choose wisely.

Eric B

Eric
I don't have megaphones, although would like to try them or straight pipes at the track. I run with the standard mufflers and they are loud enough for the street, really quite loud if you get on it, and not too bad inside the car, however I do wear noise cancelling ear buds on longer drives. I would say, have both and choose wisely.

I will go mufflers then!

Topic decided!

Next, world peace to be discussed!

E

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
We have a couple of people running megs on the street. Not as loud as you might expect although my one customer told me about cringing when a Trooper pulled next to him a red light. He really soft pedaled it and slipped the clutch waiting for the trooper to go first.

If they seemed too loud for you inside your car, you can imagine what people outside were going through.

Many motorcyclists like to think that “Loud pipes save lives”... When in actual fact, they’re not proven to do that at all because the LOUD is projected in the opposite direction of your path. What is proven, however, is that loud exhaust ruins your hearing and ticks off all your neighbors....
Regardless of what others may think, I would like to encourage the implementation of a more people friendly silencer system...

Loud pipes save lives.. That cracks me up! And then you look over at a stop light and THEY are wearing earplugs! Haha

The Mustang GT350R has two settings for the muffling, "domesticated" and "scare women and children." My switch is stuck in the SW&C mode. I dare say it can be obnoxious around town. Best to accelerate from a stop at a brisk enough pace to avoid seeing the angry faces of Prius drivers, etc. left behind. Me thinks a GT would get a by simply for the wow factor involved.

I have both... Honestly love the sound of the megaphones on my GT40 and frankly don't think it is much different than the side pipes on my Cobra. I have had nothing but compliments on the car and its cool sound. IMHO, I think they are fine if you drive it passively.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
I switched from my SPF mufflers to megaphones after about five years. I've been using the megaphones now for about three years. I'd never go back. When I drive through my neighborhood I just keep off the gas as much as I can. Any Cobra would be as loud.

I have a system with remote controlled valves. So I can switch between straight pipes or mufflers by the touch of a button.

you could always get a "smart" muffler that you can adjust with your phone! It goes from a chambered muffler that you can open up a valve to turn it into a straight pipe..

Back