My Lotus build

Your efforts are looking really good Mike!
Lots of work there. Having done all of this before, I can appreciate the
energy and time expended. Are you taping your fingertips yet?

Finger tips are ok (real block sanding hasn't started) LOL But my right shoulder is getting sore from body filing. I'm sure glad I bought a 220 compressor last year. It keeps up nicely with the air file & jitterbug.

Finger tips are ok (real block sanding hasn't started) LOL But my right shoulder is getting sore from body filing. I'm sure glad I bought a 220 compressor last year. It keeps up nicely with the air file & jitterbug.

Probably the best investment I ever made was a 6.5HP 80 gallon 220V
compressor. That, and my big drill press are invaluable assets to several
"projects".

Key word is the brand name Aleve (Naproxin). Works for me...

Well in the on-going saga of adapting the body to the 15" wheels & large tires. I've gotten the drivers side in prety good order now. Have gotten started on the other side. The rear scoop gets taken off to do the inside area. I used aluminum tape on the body first so the FG can be removed. The FG doesn't stick to the alum. tape & I formed the scoop from vinal sheet first then the FG over that so it can be taken off at this point. Then it'll be glassed to the body & the rest of the fender built to it. I cut the nose just below the point (where the chrome bumper fit) & droped it 3". I'll probably do some rounding to it & build in recesses for driving lights. By dropping the lower section also opens up the air opening for the larger (Corvette) radiator intake. Strongly thinking of lowering the bottom of the head light buckets to put a turn signal in below the head light.

There won't be hardly a square inch of body that I haven't redone by the time I'm finished LOL

A couple other pix. Shows how much I had to cut the stock rear fender to accomodate the big tires. I got the tail cut & sheeted with plywood so both sides will be the same. I'll have to apply a framework for the tail lights & openings (grill). Will look alot like a T70 or Chevron B16 & I might put louvers in behind the tires to let the air escape.

As an aside. My Son's been working on my Fiat 850. Doing all the body work & going to put it all back together again. It's been setting for several years now.

Last edited:

Keith

I had a Triumph Spitfire with headlights that looked like that - it was rusty water!! :laugh:

It's a good plan though :)

Thought I'd post some pix of how I made the removable (for now)piece for the side scoop. I'd saved the wooden formers from the other side. So I could re-use them & get the same on the other side. I hot glued them to the body then covered in a plastic/vinal that the FG doesn't stick to (I waxed it too for insurance. Covered the screw heads with an aluminum duct sealing tape I buy at Harbor frieght (FG doesn't stick to it either.) Ran pieces of the tape top & bottom along the body. Then 2 layers of FG mat & pealed it off. Now I can finish the inside area of the scoop & into the engine bay. From the edge of it then I've built up the rest of the fender ready for glassing. When I'm ready I'll glass the scoop section on & it'll be done (with sanding & smoothing of course). I'm beginning to think starting a body from scratch might have been easier. But this is about the third incarnation of this body design (keep changing my mind LOL) Any comments? Ideas? Questions?

Wow it's been quite a while since I posted anything on this. But I really haven't done much for some time. Planning to get back on it as soon as I get my 76 Corvette painting out of the way.

Thanks Jack looking at the pictures. It's actually further down the road that they show. I hadn't posted some of the later ones it looks like. Have to catch up on those LOL

Next up will be working on the spoilers & frame around the rear tail lights & opening in the center ala T70. Tail lights I think will be the round "beehive" type as on the t70 but with the addition of an amber turn indicator. 2 red & an amber, not sure if I'll put in clear back up lights & have to make provision for a license plate. Was over at Collins racing shop yesterday. Grahm's working on a Europa that "supposedly" ran in the Daytona 24 hrs. But boy what a piece of er well ah? Crap ok there's no polite way of putting it LOL Engine & trans are the only good pieces I can see LOL

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
It's a lot of work building a body.... Are you going to pull a mold off of this when you've got the desired shape or ?

Yes I'll take a mold off the front & rear sections. To make new ones that will be openable (tilt). Only the center (cockpit) section will remain from the original body.

Back